What exactly does FSM accomplish?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

sketch1118
Conchigliette Convert

What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby sketch1118 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Hey people! Just going to tell you now that I'm pretty much an opponent of "FSM" but not out of spite. I welcome all arguments and I hope you all do as well. After all, thats what a forums supposed to be for anyway right?

Ok, so what exactly does this religion accomplish? I'm aware that it was created as a response to the Kansas I.D. law(and I guess that could count as an accomplishment cause it worked in preventing the law), but why has it prospered? It doesn't disprove Christianity at all. You've simply renamed every aspect of it and changed the rules around. You just made it sound silly, and don't even start with the "giant fairy pixie" in the sky stuff, you can make anything sound silly, that doesn't make it any less true. If anything, if the FSM is in fact impossible to prove false, that only HELPS Chrisitianity. After all, you based the FSM on God, right?

I mean, I'm all for religious tolerance. And if you want to believe FSM, go ahead. But I think that we should ALL be open to discussion for truth. You're only hurting yourself by remaining ignorant.

Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Re: What exactly does FSM accomplish?

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:40 pm

I must respectfully say that you have missed the point completely .

I happen to be Christian Reformist and love a good joke , please look up the word satire in your dictionary .

At the moment and at least for me anyway , I have become very fond of the membership over the course of 2 1/2 years , we are very different , we come from many faiths or lack thereof .

We share common interests , respect our fellow Earthlings and love witty humor ( we may miss the mark at times ) .

It is unfortunate that you cannot see this at first blush , perhaps some time interacting with the members can assure you that the majority of us embrace all that is good with spirituality , religion is another matter altogether .

Do you see the irony of " Christians " spewing their hate upon us .

At the moment this forum , to me , is a wonderful place to banter with my internet friends , which is how I view this community .

The denizens are a very intelligent , thoughtful group , did you know that we have members that are ministers ?
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering Black Bart
Remembering Pieces o' Nine
Remembering Rainswept

Conally
Ziti Zealot

Postby Conally » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:21 pm

your going to have a hard time finding someone who actually believes in the FSM. this is a parody religion, i don't know why christians are soo arrogant about there being another possible religion :fsm_float:
:fsm_float: Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? :fsm_float:

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Ah, the provocateur!

Class, pay attention now, this will be on the test.

The first thing that stands out in this post is of course its title. At first glance it seems to be an honest question, requesting enlightenment, but behold! it is grammatically incorrect. The proper way to phrase the question would have been, ‘What does practicing Pastafarianism accomplish?’ So right away we see that the author either did not do his/her homework or does not care enough to craft a functioning sentence.

Next, we see the author’s name. Obviously this hastily crafted nom de plume is intended to reveal as little as possible about the author while being unique. ‘sketch’ indeed! A vague noun and a four digit number; this begs the question, ‘What are you hiding, sketch1118, if that is your real name?’

Now, on to the meat of the post: A friendly salutation followed by a declaration of enmity with a conciliatory phrase tacked on at the end to diffuse possible hostility. This is succeeded by an invitation to debate with a foreshadowing of imminent whining if not heeded. Finally, the first paragraph is closed with a rhetorical question that warns us that the author does not intend to do anything but argue.

Whew! Quite a bit for an opener!

The second paragraph begins by rephrasing the initial question. Next, the author reveals his/her knowledge of a piece of historical information followed by another question. The third, fourth, fifth and sixth sentences (including one run-on) contain what seem to be accusations and assumptions based on a very brief acquaintance with the subject at hand. This paragraph then concludes with another rhetorical question, structured identically to the first, with a faulty assumption intended to spark a religious debate.

Lastly, the author strokes his/her own ego by ‘allowing’ all opponents an opinion while admonishing those who would be so bold as to disagree with the author for being intolerant, pathetic and ignorant.

Now, class, who would like to respond? (Put your hand down, Willyum, you’ve already had your turn.)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

Zankou 2.0
Purveyor of Triviality

Postby Zankou 2.0 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Now, class, who would like to respond? (Put your hand down, Willyum, you’ve already had your turn.)

*hand up*

Edd wrote:Next, we see the author’s name. Obviously this hastily crafted nom de plume is intended to reveal as little as possible about the author while being unique. ‘sketch’ indeed! A vague noun and a four digit number; this begs the question, ‘What are you hiding, sketch1118, if that is your real name?’
Mr. Edd, I feel morally obligated to point out that your own name is essentially the same way.

The second paragraph begins by rephrasing the initial question. Next, the author reveals his/her knowledge of a piece of historical information followed by another question. The third, fourth, fifth and sixth sentences (including one run-on) contain what seem to be accusations and assumptions based on a very brief acquaintance with the subject at hand. This paragraph then concludes with another rhetorical question, structured identically to the first, with a faulty assumption intended to spark a religious debate.
That's actually a comma splice error.

This poster seems to have missed the overall point, and, since she does not yet seem to be acquainted with teh concept of logic and empirical evidence, I suggest a crash course in the Scientific Method.
--Zankou II

The thin line between genius and insanity is less of a border than a union.

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition; religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes. Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."
--Pope John Paul II

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Excellent, Zankou 2.0!

Actually, there is meaning in my moniker that will be revealed in the advanced class.

And thank you for pointing out the correct grammatical term. Contrary to sketch1118’s implication, most of us are willing to accept constructive criticism.

Now, who’s next?
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby PantyGnawer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:49 pm

sketch1118 wrote:you can make anything sound silly, that doesn't make it any less true.

I think you just made our point for us.

And why do you assume that FSM is based on the christian god?

Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Josh M » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:And why do you assume that FSM is based on the christian god?

If anything the Christians took it from the FSM. They must have misinterpreted his noodleyness to that of an old, invisible, bearded guy. I am unsure as to how that sort of mistake could have occurred, but that must have been what happened.

The saucy one is no more real then your god.
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:06 pm

Josh M wrote:
PantyGnawer wrote:And why do you assume that FSM is based on the christian god?

If anything the Christians took it from the FSM. They must have misinterpreted his noodleyness to that of an old, invisible, bearded guy. I am unsure as to how that sort of mistake could have occurred, but that must have been what happened.

The saucy one is no more real then your god.

You mean "Just as real as"

Tolerance, remember?
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

stott_s
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby stott_s » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:40 am

Wow, look what I miss for being away for 2 days!

So much has already been said on this that I have nothing new to add, which is really sad because there was so much I wanted to say after reading the first post.

I think Mad Wyll hit it on the head - this whole thing is, at least it is why I am here, a statement that I refuse to take any religion seriously.

Satire, parody - whatever you want to call it, it is designed to make a person think about what he or she believes.
I excersize regularly, by wading (through red tape), jumping (to conclusions), leaping (through hoops) and running (out of time).

LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby LibraLabRat » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:27 am

I think this was a drive by. On the record, it is a little unsettling to see Mad WIllyum writing in such a....comprehensible way.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow

sketch1118
Conchigliette Convert

Postby sketch1118 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:19 am

Edd wrote:Ah, the provocateur!

Class, pay attention now, this will be on the test.

The first thing that stands out in this post is of course its title. At first glance it seems to be an honest question, requesting enlightenment, but behold! it is grammatically incorrect. The proper way to phrase the question would have been, ‘What does practicing Pastafarianism accomplish?’ So right away we see that the author either did not do his/her homework or does not care enough to craft a functioning sentence.

Next, we see the author’s name. Obviously this hastily crafted nom de plume is intended to reveal as little as possible about the author while being unique. ‘sketch’ indeed! A vague noun and a four digit number; this begs the question, ‘What are you hiding, sketch1118, if that is your real name?’

Now, on to the meat of the post: A friendly salutation followed by a declaration of enmity with a conciliatory phrase tacked on at the end to diffuse possible hostility. This is succeeded by an invitation to debate with a foreshadowing of imminent whining if not heeded. Finally, the first paragraph is closed with a rhetorical question that warns us that the author does not intend to do anything but argue.

Whew! Quite a bit for an opener!

Lastly, the author strokes his/her own ego by ‘allowing’ all opponents an opinion while admonishing those who would be so bold as to disagree with the author for being intolerant, pathetic and ignorant.

haha dude! what the junk you analyzed my entire post. kudos, or "meatballs"....whatever you give for a good job here haha

but yeah, I hate forums cause you really can't send much emotion except from the use of those little emoticon thingies that usually don't fit my emotion anyway. But my post was in NO WAY intended to attack FSM or anything...actually I guess it was...but not in a :x way, more of a :) way. I'm simply on a search for truth.

Now, I've read arguments against Christianity and I've frequently witnessed the use of the FSM. I was curious and looked it up to find this little forum here. I figured I could join and maybe engage in some debate of some sort. And I guess I've kind of found...though not on what I intended.

I just jumped to the conclusion that all FSM members were against Christianity, and I went right into putting up an argument on just that. You misinterpreted my title however. In context with my content, I was hoping to convey a question more like "What is the point of FSM"?(in retrospect I guess that would've been a better title, which is what you said), I mean, it's just me here obviously, who finds the idea kinda silly. But as I've been told time and time again in your responses, this is merely spoof and while it can be a means of serious discussion and debate, it can also be used to just relax and poke fun.

Now, I'm trying to control my emotions...but something you wrote up there just got to me--I am not, in ANY way, stroking my own ego by encouraging a search for TRUTH. All I said was that you can believe what you want, as long as you've SEARCHED FOR THE TRUTH, and thats what you've found. To simply accept any religion, through tradition or authority and etc., with little or no reason as to why you should accept that faith, is IGNORANCE. You ignore the facts around you to accept a religion that makes you feel comfortable or accomplished.

...*phew*...ok. I hope this explains a bit more about me than my user name did(ha). But anyway, I'm just a friendly seeker of truth. Apologies for not knowing all of the facts before I posted :fsm_rock:

sketch1118
Conchigliette Convert

Postby sketch1118 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:21 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:

*hand up*

Edd wrote:Next, we see the author’s name. Obviously this hastily crafted nom de plume is intended to reveal as little as possible about the author while being unique. ‘sketch’ indeed! A vague noun and a four digit number; this begs the question, ‘What are you hiding, sketch1118, if that is your real name?’
Mr. Edd, I feel morally obligated to point out that your own name is essentially the same way.

That's actually a comma splice error.

This poster seems to have missed the overall point, and, since
she
does not yet seem to be acquainted with teh concept of logic and empirical evidence, I suggest a crash course in the Scientific Method.

...I'm a guy....hahahahaha

Auntie Blackbeard
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Auntie Blackbeard » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:37 am

Ye hath displayed candor an wit .
Oi fink ye shall do foine in 'ere .
Well come to thee fleet dearie .
Ye Crows Nest be open fer business me dearies.

LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby LibraLabRat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 am

Well, it has been a while since I have seen this sort of thing. We will see.

And dont worry about being referred to as a girl....some folks thought my name was girly at first too.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow

Return to “All Things FSM”