Attention All Gamers.

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: Attention All Gamers.

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Friendly mod warning

I had a good day at work and, despite having a stack of exam papers bigger than my torso to mark before the end of next week, am still feeling rather happy because I have tomorrow off. I do not wish to spend my day off dealing with internet arguments.

Given that ADoS has said his piece, MourningStar has clarified he didn't intend any derogatory comment and has apologised I hope we can all draw a line under this and move on. Otherwise I will keep you both behind at lunchtime/make you apologise in front of your friends/make you pick chewing gum off the desks/send a snotty letter home/kick you off the football team/any other teaching cliches you wish to use :idiot:

/Friendly mod warning

Bloody hell, that made me feel all pompous. Right, I have an evening to myself and can procrastinate until tomorrow morning, I think I'm going to play a bit of Fallout 4 :haha:

Roving Punster wrote:p.s. As for cursing, it should be a trivial matter for anyone with admin privs to enable the auto censor feature in the forum settings, and just have it autoreplace the 5 most commonly used offensive swearwords with redacted standins ... like "f**k", "s**t", "n*****r", "c**t", "c**k".

Yeah, you're not familiar with the forum software here. The search function is as much use as a chocolate teapot and has been for half a decade :idiot:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:03 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
Roving Punster wrote:p.s. As for cursing, it should be a trivial matter for anyone with admin privs to enable the auto censor feature in the forum settings, and just have it autoreplace the 5 most commonly used offensive swearwords with redacted standins ... like "f**k", "s**t", "n*****r", "c**t", "c**k".

Yeah, you're not familiar with the forum software here. The search function is as much use as a chocolate teapot and has been for half a decade :idiot:

Actually, among various sites I've helped run/finesse over the years, I did most of the day to day phpBB admin for the Internet Book Database of Fiction (IBDOF) for 7+ years (I was "Darb" at the time ... I moved on some years back).

In any case, I wasnt referring to the search function (which is almost as useless as you imply, esp on older versions of phpBB), but rather to the auto-censor feature, which is buried a little deeper in the forum settings. I've forgotten exactly where since it's been a few years since I've used the phpBB ACP (admin control panel), but I recall it being fairly easy to find and very self explanatory to use. It only works for new posts being actively submitted, not retroactively to prior posts.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Roving Punster wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:

Actually, among various sites I've helped run/finesse over the years, I did most of the day to day phpBB admin for the Internet Book Database of Fiction (IBDOF) for 7+ years (I was "Darb" at the time ... I moved on some years back).

Darn it, I knew I should have rephrased that. I'm sure you know a lot about phpBB (definitely more than I do), just that this forum is metaphorically held together with spit and duck tape. I'm always pleasantly surprised when we have one of the periodic forum breakages and it comes back in pretty much the same state it left in :haha:

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:39 pm

We do use the auto-censor function to remove references to particular words we don't want search engines to pick up in this forum. The name of some small blue pills for the older gentleman, for example.

For the purposes of keeping a civil tongue in our collective heads, we have Moderators. This is an American site, and whilst they do tend to mangle the English language appallingly, they are quite keen on freedom of speech for some reason. So we do not automatically censor swearing: Moderators do so manually where appropriate, and they will explain why when they do.

In terms of the software, phpBB is almost up-to-date; but bearing in mind the database is ten years old and did not start off as a phpBB database - it has been hosted on at least two other software packages and been re-mapped (or beaten with a mallet if you prefer) to fit into phpBB and work.

Sort of.

So every update is an adventure. This is why we don't do them all - we just wait for the good ones.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Well, I seem to have stopped any discussion in here quite effectively :whistle: Are there any other parts of the forum that are getting unexpectedly lively and could do with quietening down again? :idiot:

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Kum bakk ahhgenn Uncca Munkee .

We awl miss yoo .

An' rememmer , yoo stihl godda git me a bottel off sawse .

Fankye , ye welkum ! :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 am

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:Kum bakk ahhgenn Uncca Munkee .

We awl miss yoo .

An' rememmer , yoo stihl godda git me a bottel off sawse .

Fankye , ye welkum ! :welcome:

Holiday and all, didn't really have time to catch up on games. Been browsing the Steam sale, but don't have the money for the games I want, and the ones I can afford I already have... lol. Now about this sauce of yours.... :paranoid:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:47 pm

MourningStar wrote:Now about this sauce of yours.... :paranoid:

Don't. Just don't.

If he wants you to taste it it will be disgusting and if he wants you to buy it it will be illegal and disgusting. There's a good reason no one eats the stoo :idiot:

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:05 pm

You mentioned the Fish 'Ed Stoo.

You didn't have to, but you did.

I can still turn your avatar sideways and remove your permissions to change it, you do know that?

Stop talking about the Stoo. Moderator or not, I will do it.

No, really.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Still playing GTA San Andreas, by the way. That's how modern my computers are.

My guitar amps are from the 1950s: they have valves (or tubes if you are a USAsian).

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 pm

All I said to my wife was 'that piece of halibut was lovely, I'm glad I wasn't eating that manky stoo'. I don't think it ought to be turning my avatar sideways, just saying 'stoo'.

And now that we've covered enough in-jokes from the last three years or so we return you to your regularly scheduled programming (or programing if you're a colonial type).

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 am

If ye dussent lyke thee stoo uncca darff

yyy duss ye keep sennin me pwifate mess ages

wontin 2 no thee secwet in gweedy ants ?
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:29 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Of course, other suggestions for games I can play on Linux which will not make me cry from frustration are welcome too.

Land of Fire might be a good choice if you're into retro-style MMORPGs. The client they use does work under Linux (as well as Windows, Mac OS, and Android).
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:14 am

ItchyPirate wrote:
Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Of course, other suggestions for games I can play on Linux which will not make me cry from frustration are welcome too.

Land of Fire might be a good choice if you're into retro-style MMORPGs. The client they use does work under Linux (as well as Windows, Mac OS, and Android).

I vaguely remember the best Linux game I ever played being the original text adventure called (ahem) "Adventure". I liked the the infocom games like Zork and Planetfall even better, but those came later on the earliest versions of DoS. Ah, the early pioneering days of computers and computer gaming.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Return to “All Things FSM”