Attention All Gamers.

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Re: Attention All Gamers.

Postby MourningStar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 am

Roving Punster wrote:...I'm just using it to kill time until I pick my next big ticket game to get into.

Yeah, I still haven't finished The Witcher yet... I really should. But I am kind of looking forward to getting my hands on Fallout. Maybe for Holiday I'll get it. As for now I'm just playing Steel Ocean. Little bit more arcadey than World of Warships, but I like the game play better. Plus.... Ships... Plus... Ocean... :fsm_yarr:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:46 am

MourningStar wrote:My favorite glitches are the ones the programmers put in to foil illegal copies. Like slowly turning you into a bird in Arma II. lol.
:haha:

I think the earliest version of DRM in a video game is "Puggsy", for the Sega Genesis. Playing the game on a Genesis console will lead to no trouble, but if you play it on an emulator, you can progress through the first five levels and fight the first boss. When you try to enter the next level and you're playing on an emulator, the game checks for the presence of SRAM. If it's there, it plays eerie music and says something along the lines of, "OK, you've had your fun. Now go buy a real cartridge and stop playing the silly copy!" and prevents you from proceeding any further. This also happens at several other points throughout the game, in case you turn off the SRAM and then start it again. Turning of SRAM in your emulator, of course, will avoid the trap.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:17 am

MourningStar wrote:
Roving Punster wrote:...I'm just using it to kill time until I pick my next big ticket game to get into.

Yeah, I still haven't finished The Witcher yet... I really should. But I am kind of looking forward to getting my hands on Fallout. Maybe for Holiday I'll get it. As for now I'm just playing Steel Ocean. Little bit more arcadey than World of Warships, but I like the game play better. Plus.... Ships... Plus... Ocean... :fsm_yarr:

Witcher 3 was great ... except for the annoying platinum blocking bugs that it took so long to get fixed. However, theyve finally fixed all that.

Sadly, aside from heart of stone (which I already finished) no new content until early 2016.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:22 am

Plus.... Ships... Plus... Ocean...

Heh.

Ironically, I've got $0.02 that says I'm probably the only person on this forum that's actually sailed competititvely.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 am

But I am kind of looking forward to getting my hands on Fallout.

Speaking of Fallout 4, here's a short hilarious youtube by one of my favorite purveyors of religious satire. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2he4FGsafCA

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:08 pm

The more and more the hype dies around Fallout 4, the less and less I actually want to get it..... people are saying The Witcher is way better still... and even Skyrim had more In Depth storylines.
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 pm

MourningStar wrote:The more and more the hype dies around Fallout 4, the less and less I actually want to get it..... people are saying The Witcher is way better still... and even Skyrim had more In Depth storylines.

I've got platinum trophies in both Skyrim (PS3) and Witcher 3 (PS4). I finished the former three times, and the latter once. Both are excellent and highly recommended. Personally, I found the roleplaying experience in skyrim to be better and more freeform, and it has greater replay value as a result.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Yeah, I loved Skyrim..... Never got even close to "finishing" it.... can you? With all the sidequests and DLC? I would always end up re-rolling another character halfway through. Last one I had was a Khajiit Assasin type.... Bows and Dual Wield. Was super fun. I get distracted by Steam sales quite often and end up paying 5 bucks for "pre-release" games that never get finished as the Devs just take the money and run.... sigh. So many unfinished games that had such great potential. I imagine it's like being a teacher in school and seeing 3/4 of your class grow up to be fucktards. lol :lol:

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:30 pm

MourningStar wrote:Yeah, I loved Skyrim..... Never got even close to "finishing" it.... can you? With all the sidequests and DLC? I would always end up re-rolling another character halfway through. Last one I had was a Khajiit Assasin type.... Bows and Dual Wield. Was super fun. I get distracted by Steam sales quite often and end up paying 5 bucks for "pre-release" games that never get finished as the Devs just take the money and run.... sigh. So many unfinished games that had such great potential. I imagine it's like being a teacher in school and seeing 3/4 of your class grow up to be fucktards. lol :lol:

Yes, it can be finished ... I've done it. You basically complete the main story, all open items in your quest log, and then print out a map from the internet and make sure you've discovered and explored all 200+ locations, by which time you should have all trophies and platinum unlocked, and be level 55-70 or so (I forget what the cap was, if any).

The only thing I skipped in most of my playthoughs was the DLC with vampire & werewolf trophies ... I finished the DLC, but the trophies for both were a mindless total turnoff.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Watch your language, please, MourningStar.

I'm not sure what I want to play. I haven't played a video game other than "Avernum: Escape From the Pit" (amazing game but it's very long and I keep getting distracted and forgetting what I was doing) or "Minecraft", in a very long time.

(warning Final Fantasy 6 and 7 spoilers ahead)

I've decided that while I'm attempting to recover from a stupid medication decision and trying to pretend I'll find a local psychiatrist who respects zir patients' time soon, I'm going to distract with a video game. The two I'm considering right now are "Final Fantasy VI" and "Dink Smallwood". Considering I'm teetering on the edge of being locked up in a psych hospital during the holidays, FF6 may be a bit too intense, if what I've heard about it is true. On the other hand, Dink Smallwood is... Dink Smallwood. It's an old isometric RPG full of corny jokes and pointless violence, and it's FOSS now. The lightheartedness I'm assuming it has might be good for my head. But I'm the guy who just got upset with someone for spoiling the plot of FF6, to which my sister replied that you can't call "no spoilers" on a 15+ year old game, and I'd be very interested to see if Kefka really is as scary as I'm told. He's supposed to be scarier than the villain in FF7, although I don't know how many of the people who say that are talking about Sephiroth (just a really strong guy with a big sword and a bit of charisma) and how many are talking about the ShinRa Electric Power Company. When you think about where the monsters you're fighting throughout the game are coming from and paying attention to the monsters' faces, ShinRa looks really, really, grotesquely horrifying. I'm really curious about how people will view the game with the remake, when they'll hopefully see, with frightening clarity, that no, that monster isn't a crab. It's even more twisted than Resident Evil, I think, so if Kefka can top that, I'll be impressed.

Of course, that may be exactly why I should put FF6 on hold a little longer...
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Of course, other suggestions for games I can play on Linux which will not make me cry from frustration are welcome too.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm

I know, I know... Rule number one. Keep swearing to a minimum. I'd say a single curse word (who ever decided THAT is a curse word should be shot) in a post is a minimum. If you want ZERO TOLERANCE for cursing.... say so. Odd that a religion about acceptance and pirates and stripper factories tends to censor the way its members talk or use speech. Especially around a word that hasn't been taboo since grade school... but I digress, you are the resident authority and I apologize for my adult use of language and vocabulary........ :barf:

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:56 pm

Strong swearwords are to be kept in Rant Rave and Misbehave, but I was more objecting to the use of an ablist slur than I was minimodding.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:22 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:I'm going to distract with a video game.

If you goal is distraction, while adjusting to meds (something I have some unfortunate experience with myself) I recommend a quest based RPG like skyrim or witcher 3 ... many of the quests are fairly short and self contained, and provide a helpful sense of progress without being overly demanding or repetive. The open world lets you set your own pace and creates a sense of freedom, while the quest system provides enough structure to help foster some mental focus.

p.s. As for cursing, it should be a trivial matter for anyone with admin privs to enable the auto censor feature in the forum settings, and just have it autoreplace the 5 most commonly used offensive swearwords with redacted standins ... like "f**k", "s**t", "n*****r", "c**t", "c**k".

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:..but I was more objecting to the use of an ablist slur than I was minimodding.

ableist, no. that is a misnomer:

"fucktard
noun,
A person of unbelievable, inexcusable and indescribable stupidity. (Stupidity being defined as "knowing how and doing it wrong anyway")

NOT A CONTRACTION FOR "FUCKING RETARD"! Those who are truly "Retarded" are not responsible for their affliction. True Fucktards are 100% responsible for their situation and provide vast entertainment as they are usually blissfully unaware of their own Fucktardery. Most politicians for example.
One who would actually piss on a live transformer. One who would use a live .22 round for a fuse in their pickup truck "just cuz it fits" and then complain about it shooting them in the nuts.

He shot himself in the nuts? Geez, what a fucktard!"

So the way I was using it was neither a curse, nor a derogatory comment towards someone of limited or retarded mental capacity. However I will respect your wishes and not use it again. I apologize. I will also drop this now... as I have already elevated my blood pressure enough for the evening with MtDew..... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Return to “All Things FSM”