As a minister...

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

George the Minister
Conchigliette Convert

As a minister...

Postby George the Minister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:02 am

What paperwork do I need to fill out and/or provide to marry a couple together as the preciding minister? I'm in Texas, and the people at the local town hall were less than helpful.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Re: As a minister...

Postby Cardinal Fang » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 am

I believe rules vary from country to country, and state to state. In theory your county clerk should have the relevant information you need.

According to the Universal Life Church:
"Texas allows state judges and magistrates to officiate weddings, along with ordained Christian ministers and Jewish rabbis. Officers of other religious organizations may also officiate weddings, but these people must be able to establish that they have been authorized by their respective organization to solemnize a marriage. Universal Life Church Monastery ministers who are ordained online do meet this requirement, with ULC Monastery’s assistance."

I don't know whether having an ordination certificate from the Chirch of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would be sufficient for the state to recognise someone's authority to perform a wedding. Perhaps any Pastafarian who has officiated at a wedding could step in here and answer that.

Might be worth contacting the ULC as a backup, as being ordained by them will allow you to perform weddings (and it wouldn't stop you having a Pastafarian ceremony). They would also provide assistance with filling out the necessary paperwork to make any weddings you perform legal.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

George the Minister
Conchigliette Convert

Postby George the Minister » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks, now I'm one step closer to performing drive-through weddings in His name like I've always dreamed.

Aubreywan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Aubreywan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Actually, when I received my certificate, it came with a letter of good standing. I have a question: as ministers, should we refer to ourselves as Capt. or what? Our churches would be our ships of which we'd be the Captain. Thoughts?
What did the ELVIS BUDDHA say to the hotdog vendor?
"Make me ONE with everything"

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:27 pm

I'm not sure if there is an official title - although I think I've seen Monister mentioned somewhere in that context.

I suspect it's a "call yourself what feels right" thing

CF

Aubreywan
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Aubreywan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Works for me.

Thanks, CF
What did the ELVIS BUDDHA say to the hotdog vendor?
"Make me ONE with everything"

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:15 pm

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:15 pm

Aubreywan wrote:Actually, when I received my certificate, it came with a letter of good standing. I have a question: as ministers, should we refer to ourselves as Capt. or what? Our churches would be our ships of which we'd be the Captain. Thoughts?

Thank you I was wondering about this. I had briefly seen someone mention this along with the certificate they had received one.

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:51 pm

I have just received my certificate and I'm very honored to become ordained. I just wanted to say thank you and I bid yall with the blessings of a thousand pasta bowls. Although mine didn't come with a letter of good intent just fyi. :zen:

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:43 am

Roy Hunter wrote:
CaptainLongPig wrote:I have just received my certificate and I'm very honored to become ordained. I just wanted to say thank you and I bid yall with the blessings of a thousand pasta bowls. Although mine didn't come with a letter of good intent just fyi. :zen:

You don't tend to get a letter of good standing as a matter of course. If you ask, you usually get though. Once we've established you're not a complete muppet, obviously...

That's understandable. I don't think my state requires one to make it legit, but I'll have to look into it more. On the off topic if I was a Muppet I would definitely have to be Gonzo or possibly Fozzie with his unfunny yet seemingly amusing jokes. Probably Fozzie, he's a sharp dresser.

Return to “All Things FSM”