Our Future

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Our Future

Postby Nancy Delia » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

has anybody ever stopped to consider the possible future of the pastafarian religion? will we exist in 10 years? in 50 years? in 100 years? what elements of our faith ensure that we will stand the test of time? what elements of our faith ensure that we will fail the test of time and become obsolete?

these are serious questions if we want to be a serious religion. I'm sure that all religions were viewed as a joke in their beginning stages. it's not a surprise that pastafarianism is considered a joke today. people are still giggling at scientology which is 61 years old. they even giggle at Antoine Levay's church of satan that is 45 years old. the Jehovah Witness movement is over 135 years old and is taken seriously as a real religion. the church of jesus Christ of latter day saints is 184 years old and enjoys credibility as an influential religious movement. if this website is any indication of our religion then it is clear that the tradition of pastafarianism has waned significantly since it's revival in 2005 and 2006.

what can we do to re-energize the movement? is a legacy even important to pastafarians?
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Great souls suffer in silence. ~Friedrich Schiller

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: Our Future

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:55 am

When I first saw the FSM I thought, like most people, its an Atheist club and thought it to be a jab at mainstream religions. It wasn't until my derp self actually took time and interest in looking in the ABOUT section on the Venganza main site. There I learned it is a Dogmaless religion which I found to be brilliant. Pastafarianism accepts everybody and their beliefs. I believe differently with roots stemming deep into Christianity but also New Age and on. I think FSM breaks down barriers and could possibly in the future bring humanity back together so we can move on as a species. But that is a bigger picture. As a suggestion I would focus more on that if you wanted to bring more of a serious tone to Pastafarianism, but I love the lore. Being a pirate, drinking grog, beer volcanoes, stripper factories and glorious pasta on Fridays is kind of the outer and paper thin mask and just beneath that is a deeper meaning. Its just you and GOD. There is no dogma or practices or rituals in your way. To me its such a huge breath of fresh air. Its up to the individuals to go out and find not only themselves but who made them. Unless they are Atheist then you know they can drink and enjoy lap dances with the rest of us. Which is completely cool with me I'm down to share a tall boy with any of my pirates or possibly a shot of jager. :drinking: I know I'm kind of rambling but I've been actually looking since I joined this forum to express this and just wanted to say thank you all for helping with this movement.

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:31 pm

pastafarianism is a Dogmaless religion. it's true that pastafarianism accepts everybody and their beliefs. the flying spaghetti monster does soften the sting that religion has on certain individuals. the flying spaghetti monster acts as a shield that can always be used to protect ourselves from the hateful speech or annoying berating from religious family members or friends. the message of the flying spaghetti monster enters the ears of religious people and psychologically reminds them that such harassment is unbecoming to a human being which further reduce the sting of religion. however pastafarianism also extends a branch of acceptance to the religious even though that part of our faith is suspect and not trusted at this point in our history. as far as the concept of pirates. that's fun, cool and brings an appeal to the outside community. pirates have always been cool. I don't like the concept of drinking grog, beer volcanoes, stripper factories or the frequent eating of pasta. I think these contents of our faith distract others from our overall message of humor and tolerance. these concepts make us laughable at minimum which is ok because humor is an important part of our religion. in the worse possible scenario we are discredited by serious philosophers for being mindless heathens who only seek self pleasure which would make us the opposite of a religion. it would make us non-religious by default. however the flying spaghetti monster revealed himself to bobby Henderson and gave him the appropriate message. if heaven has a stripper factory and beer volcanoes then I probably need to learn to accept it. I'm just not there yet. I personally don't see these concepts to offer any deeper meaning. the stripper factory and the beer volcanoes appear to be detrimental to our longevity rather than an asset to us. doesn't the loose canon paint a more accurate story of heaven?

btw. thanks for responding to my post. that was nice of you.
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:49 pm

I believe the story that I was referring to was written by St. Jason. I think the book of the Loose Canon is called Revelations of St. Jason.

RevWrongway
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby RevWrongway » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:43 am

CaptainLongPig wrote: ...a serious tone to Pastafarianism, but I love the lore. Being a pirate, drinking grog, beer volcanoes, stripper factories and glorious pasta on Fridays is kind of the outer and paper thin mask and just beneath that is a deeper meaning. Its just you and GOD. There is no dogma or practices or rituals in your way. To me its such a huge breath of fresh air.

Thanks for putting into words the emotions I feel about religion. There has alway been something that bothered me about the whole "organized" part of the many churches I have attended since childhood. The constant guilt trips while shoving a collection plate in your face has turned me away from them.

Now I can understand the comfort I feel with the FSM, there is no pressure.

Thanks, I'm glad I finally came to the forums. Could it have been a revelation from the Noodly One himself?
ʇuǝɯƃpnɾ pɐq ɯoɹɟ sǝɯoɔ ʇɐɥʇ ɐʇʇol ɐ puɐ 'ǝɔuǝᴉɹǝdxǝ ɯoɹɟ sǝɯoɔ ʇuǝɯƃpnɾ pooפ

ǝuO ʎlpooN ǝɥʇ oʇ ʇsǝɹ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐǝ˥ ˙ʎlpuᴉʞ ʞɐǝdS ˙ʎldǝǝp ǝɹɐƆ ˙ʎlsnoɹǝuǝƃ ǝʌo˥ ˙ʎldɯᴉs ǝʌᴉ˥

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:13 pm

RevWrongway wrote:
CaptainLongPig wrote: ...a serious tone to Pastafarianism, but I love the lore. Being a pirate, drinking grog, beer volcanoes, stripper factories and glorious pasta on Fridays is kind of the outer and paper thin mask and just beneath that is a deeper meaning. Its just you and GOD. There is no dogma or practices or rituals in your way. To me its such a huge breath of fresh air.

Thanks for putting into words the emotions I feel about religion. There has alway been something that bothered me about the whole "organized" part of the many churches I have attended since childhood. The constant guilt trips while shoving a collection plate in your face has turned me away from them.

Now I can understand the comfort I feel with the FSM, there is no pressure.

Thanks, I'm glad I finally came to the forums. Could it have been a revelation from the Noodly One himself?

I don't think any of us are here by accident my brother. For there is many Noodly Appendages slapping us from here to there.

I know what you mean I didn't grow up in the church but I went in head first and absorbed EVERYTHING I could like Spongebob in the bathtub. After years in it I looked around and it just didn't feel right. I'm not knocking anybody that are avid church goers,not one bit. I'm just saying it wasn't right for me. It restricted me and put my faith and interests in a nice little box with a bow. I too had many guilt trips and a constant fear of demons and devils. Then I came across a couple of New Age videos that had something to do with psychic powers (woo! super powers) and it just kind of tossed aside the idea you might come in contact with negative forces. Like it was no big deal. I was taught evil is everywhere! To fear and clutch your cross with a death grip. But I had this thought, which is now my belief, what if we create our demons. Like the monsters under the bed. There not really there, but with enough belief they can manifest and take life so to speak. If you google poltergeist there is a theory something like that. I had so many nightmares about fighting demons it was ridiculous. Now I'm cool calm and collected. I'm so glad I found FSM when I did. I look good in pirate regalia, lol.
... I rambled again. Balls.

RevWrongway
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby RevWrongway » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:36 pm

CaptainLongPig wrote: I look good in pirate regalia, lol.

Yeah, me too. And the drinkin' I can handle (it's more about the camaraderie than getting hammered, a good pirate paces 'is drink so's to always be ready fer a fight). :nefyoobash:
ʇuǝɯƃpnɾ pɐq ɯoɹɟ sǝɯoɔ ʇɐɥʇ ɐʇʇol ɐ puɐ 'ǝɔuǝᴉɹǝdxǝ ɯoɹɟ sǝɯoɔ ʇuǝɯƃpnɾ pooפ

ǝuO ʎlpooN ǝɥʇ oʇ ʇsǝɹ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐǝ˥ ˙ʎlpuᴉʞ ʞɐǝdS ˙ʎldǝǝp ǝɹɐƆ ˙ʎlsnoɹǝuǝƃ ǝʌo˥ ˙ʎldɯᴉs ǝʌᴉ˥

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Aye! I'd rather nurse a cold glass of Jager and coke me self.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Moving this to the All Things FSM forum, as I think it'll be a better fit there

CF
(Serious Mod)
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm

if drinking is important and the future of our religion isn't serious then why should I even bother trying to serve the flying spaghetti monster? i think the future of our religion is very serious. drinking alcoholic beverages has never been my #1 focus in life. it has been a priority at times but never the most important thing to me.

Cardinal Fang wrote:Moving this to the All Things FSM forum, as I think it'll be a better fit there

CF
(Serious Mod)

RevWrongway wrote:Yeah, me too. And the drinkin' I can handle (it's more about the camaraderie than getting hammered, a good pirate paces 'is drink so's to always be ready fer a fight). :nefyoobash:

CaptainLongPig wrote:Aye! I'd rather nurse a cold glass of Jager and coke me self.

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:01 am

If you don't like drinking you certainly don't have to. Each Pastafarian has his/her own beliefs. The Beer Volcano turns into any drink you desire. It could be a flowing river of chilled Jager, Grog, Mr Pip, or Sonic's Green Apple Coke. I want to say its in the First Edition of the Loose Canon where the Noodly Overlord talks about the Beer Volcano and the Stripper Factory. He said that its anything the believer wants. One of the guys there had a line of nothing but sheep heading into the factory.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:45 am

I believe the understanding is that the beer volcano and the stripper factory will fulfil your needs re drinking and companionship - so if your preference is for a nice cup of tea and Prof. Brian Cox* dipped in chocolate, I suspect that's what you'd be given

CF

*Not that I know of anyone who's interest would be that... :whistle:

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:I believe the understanding is that the beer volcano and the stripper factory will fulfil your needs re drinking and companionship - so if your preference is for a nice cup of tea and Prof. Brian Cox* dipped in chocolate, I suspect that's what you'd be given

CF

*Not that I know of anyone who's interest would be that... :whistle:

Nah. Beer is fine.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:38 pm

To go back (sort of) to the original question - I don't think Pastafarianism is waning. There are still a lot of converts - some 26,000 on Failbook alone. There's also been a noticable increase in the numbers of people publically "outing" themselves in news stories - often connected with campaigns for the same right to wear Pastafarian headgear (e.g. colanders) on official documents, just as other religions currently enjoy (religious equality seems to be the newest battleground, as the creationists seem to be a bit quiet at the moment).

So I wouldn't mistake quietness for dormancy

CF

enoodle
Conchigliette Convert

Postby enoodle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:To go back (sort of) to the original question - I don't think Pastafarianism is waning. There are still a lot of converts - some 26,000 on Failbook alone. There's also been a noticable increase in the numbers of people publically "outing" themselves in news stories - often connected with campaigns for the same right to wear Pastafarian headgear (e.g. colanders) on official documents, just as other religions currently enjoy (religious equality seems to be the newest battleground, as the creationists seem to be a bit quiet at the moment).

So I wouldn't mistake quietness for dormancy

CF

I'd like to think Pastafarianism does such a great job of making creationism look ridiculous that they're afraid to make noise and draw any more derision for their beliefs. :lol:

As a new convert, I also have questions about just how serious this all is, and what its future is, mostly after trying to explain FSM to my wife, a non-religious but conservative person. If specific religious belief (dogma) doesn't matter, what's the point of writing anything about it, if not just to make a satirical point by comparison? If we can't answer questions about our origins or the afterlife, what really makes Pastafarianism a religion and not a philosophical code? Ironically wearing a colander? Or am I missing something? I get that we should have the right to believe however we want, but is the mythology and canon, loose though it is, necessary, or detrimental?

Is there any agreement about what the future of the FSM holds, or does it just depend on the individuals or groups being asked? Should there be agreement, which implies commonly-accepted beliefs, or would He prefer we simply believe as we will, no matter what other believers think, which could also lead to dogmatic belief?

I don't mean to offend, I'd just like to hear your views.

Return to “All Things FSM”