Our Future

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Re: Our Future

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:39 pm

rrrrrrrr
i beweef
um
um
iiiiiii beeeweeeeeeffftphttt
rrrrrrrrr
ye ahta et peetzers an iiz cweem an choklit an an an umm
um
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr rrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:15 pm

enoodle wrote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:To go back (sort of) to the original question - I don't think Pastafarianism is waning. There are still a lot of converts - some 26,000 on Failbook alone. There's also been a noticable increase in the numbers of people publically "outing" themselves in news stories - often connected with campaigns for the same right to wear Pastafarian headgear (e.g. colanders) on official documents, just as other religions currently enjoy (religious equality seems to be the newest battleground, as the creationists seem to be a bit quiet at the moment).

So I wouldn't mistake quietness for dormancy

CF

I'd like to think Pastafarianism does such a great job of making creationism look ridiculous that they're afraid to make noise and draw any more derision for their beliefs. :lol:

As a new convert, I also have questions about just how serious this all is, and what its future is, mostly after trying to explain FSM to my wife, a non-religious but conservative person. If specific religious belief (dogma) doesn't matter, what's the point of writing anything about it, if not just to make a satirical point by comparison? If we can't answer questions about our origins or the afterlife, what really makes Pastafarianism a religion and not a philosophical code? Ironically wearing a colander? Or am I missing something? I get that we should have the right to believe however we want, but is the mythology and canon, loose though it is, necessary, or detrimental?

Is there any agreement about what the future of the FSM holds, or does it just depend on the individuals or groups being asked? Should there be agreement, which implies commonly-accepted beliefs, or would He prefer we simply believe as we will, no matter what other believers think, which could also lead to dogmatic belief?

I don't mean to offend, I'd just like to hear your views.

I don't think I could answer all the questions you've ask from my perspective as of right now, but the first one I think I got a decent answer. In the aspect of seriousness there are some pirates that are dead serious and believe fully on the Noodly Appendages of the FSM. I use Pastafarianism as a shield to deflect others from trying to influence my beliefs. Now of course I'm not saying I don't listen and take their beliefs seriously, I am up for change. Being stuck in your ways is pretty boring. There are some individuals that are just looking for clones and it does urk me.
As for the epic tales of the gospel and the loose canon I would chalk that up to the mighty subculture that we have here. Being a pirate and drinking liquid substances of alcoholic nature (or not) is influenced from these tales. You can call it cosplay if you want or even roleplay (giggity) but its just good fun. Being a Juggalo I can relate heavily to these things. Juggalos have their own language, dress and even lore themselves. Of course Pastafarians don't have to worry about being hauled off to jail for having his Noodly Image tattooed on their appendages.
These are very tough questions for me because I see a meme that has gone more than viral. FSM has power and is a recognized religion.

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:10 pm

i really enjoyed reading your post on the future of our religion. i suppose the future of our religion is uncertain and is honestly out of our hands. the legacy of our church could very well be our uncanny ability to silence creationist seeking admission into academia. that alone should give us a couple of generations of life. a belief in the flying spaghetti monster isn't exactly a serious position to take but it does pack quite a punch. it is my belief that the idea of the flying spaghetti monster cannot be retracted from the mind of an evangelical christian as easily as traditional atheistic thoughts which are easily dismissed by evangelical Christians while in their pursuit of converts. the flying spaghetti monster enters their mind and remains there for the remainder of their life as a reminder to lighten up. i wholeheartedly believe that it works even with the most fanatical of believers. unfortunately i think we have work to do if we are going to penetrate the minds of our friends in the east who have a loving for allah and the prophet mohammed. i am not aware of any pastafarian scripture advocating the wearing of the colander. it has become a great trend for spreading awareness about the flying spaghetti monster. in the book of solipsy we are taught to be involved with our government when their laws are unfair or make no sense. that may be the spirit that is inspiring pastafarians to wear colanders as religious head garments during drivers license photos. we see an unfairness because not all religions benefit from this law that makes no sense. just as the other main religions, i suppose there is room for more orthodox or less orthodox methods of worship. we can all worship our noodley lord in any way that we see fit or not even worship him at all.

you are right about avoiding a commonly-accepted belief system. it is certainly in our religion to reject dogma religiously which is almost a paradox. oh well. we all do the best we can.

enoodle wrote:I'd like to think Pastafarianism does such a great job of making creationism look ridiculous that they're afraid to make noise and draw any more derision for their beliefs. :lol:

As a new convert, I also have questions about just how serious this all is, and what its future is, mostly after trying to explain FSM to my wife, a non-religious but conservative person. If specific religious belief (dogma) doesn't matter, what's the point of writing anything about it, if not just to make a satirical point by comparison? If we can't answer questions about our origins or the afterlife, what really makes Pastafarianism a religion and not a philosophical code? Ironically wearing a colander? Or am I missing something? I get that we should have the right to believe however we want, but is the mythology and canon, loose though it is, necessary, or detrimental?

Is there any agreement about what the future of the FSM holds, or does it just depend on the individuals or groups being asked? Should there be agreement, which implies commonly-accepted beliefs, or would He prefer we simply believe as we will, no matter what other believers think, which could also lead to dogmatic belief?

I don't mean to offend, I'd just like to hear your views.
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Great souls suffer in silence. ~Friedrich Schiller

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:35 pm

Nancy Delia wrote:i really enjoyed reading your post on the future of our religion. i suppose the future of our religion is uncertain and is honestly out of our hands. the legacy of our church could very well be our uncanny ability to silence creationist seeking admission into academia. that alone should give us a couple of generations of life. a belief in the flying spaghetti monster isn't exactly a serious position to take but it does pack quite a punch. it is my belief that the idea of the flying spaghetti monster cannot be retracted from the mind of an evangelical christian as easily as traditional atheistic thoughts which are easily dismissed by evangelical Christians while in their pursuit of converts. the flying spaghetti monster enters their mind and remains there for the remainder of their life as a reminder to lighten up. i wholeheartedly believe that it works even with the most fanatical of believers. unfortunately i think we have work to do if we are going to penetrate the minds of our friends in the east who have a loving for allah and the prophet mohammed. i am not aware of any pastafarian scripture advocating the wearing of the colander. it has become a great trend for spreading awareness about the flying spaghetti monster. in the book of solipsy we are taught to be involved with our government when their laws are unfair or make no sense. that may be the spirit that is inspiring pastafarians to wear colanders as religious head garments during drivers license photos. we see an unfairness because not all religions benefit from this law that makes no sense. just as the other main religions, i suppose there is room for more orthodox or less orthodox methods of worship. we can all worship our noodley lord in any way that we see fit or not even worship him at all.

you are right about avoiding a commonly-accepted belief system. it is certainly in our religion to reject dogma religiously which is almost a paradox. oh well. we all do the best we can.

enoodle wrote:I'd like to think Pastafarianism does such a great job of making creationism look ridiculous that they're afraid to make noise and draw any more derision for their beliefs. :lol:

That is brilliant! Thank you Nancy for a fresh insight. We're like Batman. We see injustice and leap into action. Flinging Spaghettirangs and driving around in our Pastamobiles. I like that.

enoodle
Conchigliette Convert

Postby enoodle » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:rrrrrrrr
i beweef
um
um
iiiiiii beeeweeeeeeffftphttt
rrrrrrrrr
ye ahta et peetzers an iiz cweem an choklit an an an umm
um
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrr rrrrrrr

I know how you feel, BlackBeard! I think.

CaptainLongPig wrote:
...As for the epic tales of the gospel and the loose canon I would chalk that up to the mighty subculture that we have here. Being a pirate and drinking liquid substances of alcoholic nature (or not) is influenced from these tales. You can call it cosplay if you want or even roleplay (giggity) but its just good fun. Being a Juggalo I can relate heavily to these things. Juggalos have their own language, dress and even lore themselves. Of course Pastafarians don't have to worry about being hauled off to jail for having his Noodly Image tattooed on their appendages.
These are very tough questions for me because I see a meme that has gone more than viral. FSM has power and is a recognized religion.

Having listened to my fair share of ICP, I see what you're saying. I've met a few juggalos, and the one thing they all had in common was not being terrorists. I told the FBI, but they never listen. :confused:

Nancy Delia wrote: ...the legacy of our church could very well be our uncanny ability to silence creationist seeking admission into academia. that alone should give us a couple of generations of life. a belief in the flying spaghetti monster isn't exactly a serious position to take but it does pack quite a punch. it is my belief that the idea of the flying spaghetti monster cannot be retracted from the mind of an evangelical christian as easily as traditional atheistic thoughts which are easily dismissed by evangelical Christians while in their pursuit of converts. the flying spaghetti monster enters their mind and remains there for the remainder of their life as a reminder to lighten up. i wholeheartedly believe that it works even with the most fanatical of believers.

Great point, Nancy! If FSM does nothing more than serve as a counterpoint to the creationists, I'd say it's still done the world a favor. The Flying Spaghetti Monster really struck a nerve with me when I first heard the Word, and I'm sure you're right that it is hard for people with questions about their beliefs to forget His message.

Nancy Delia wrote:unfortunately i think we have work to do if we are going to penetrate the minds of our friends in the east who have a loving for allah and the prophet mohammed.

You're right there. As an ignorant American, I has this idea that people living in some places would face severe consequences for even mentioning the FSM, let alone suggesting it as a viable alternative to (religion here). Because of this, I'm totally converting the first Muslim I encounter!

Nancy Delia wrote:i am not aware of any pastafarian scripture advocating the wearing of the colander. it has become a great trend for spreading awareness about the flying spaghetti monster. in the book of solipsy we are taught to be involved with our government when their laws are unfair or make no sense. that may be the spirit that is inspiring pastafarians to wear colanders as religious head garments during drivers license photos. we see an unfairness because not all religions benefit from this law that makes no sense.
just as the other main religions, i suppose there is room for more orthodox or less orthodox methods of worship. we can all worship our noodley lord in any way that we see fit or not even worship him at all.

I've still got the loose canon to read. Your mention of the book of solipsy, and using government participation to protest unfair or senseless laws makes sense, and I'm glad it's something Pastafarians believe in.

I guess in the end the FSM gives us the luxury to believe, or not believe, as we choose, and that's a way better deal than most religious followers get!

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:15 pm

enoodle wrote:I've still got the loose canon to read

what do you mean? do you mean that you haven't read it yet?
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

enoodle
Conchigliette Convert

Postby enoodle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Nancy Delia wrote:

Haven't read it and not even sure what it is. I've seen the sections in the forum, but is the final version only sold? I saw your thread about the unauthorized version that was on Amazon; sounds like he just took the suggestions from this forum and put them into a book he was trying to sell. Is there a finalized version on venganza I should look at, or wait for the final draft?

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:59 pm

enoodle wrote:
Nancy Delia wrote:

Haven't read it and not even sure what it is. I've seen the sections in the forum, but is the final version only sold? I saw your thread about the unauthorized version that was on Amazon; sounds like he just took the suggestions from this forum and put them into a book he was trying to sell. Is there a finalized version on venganza I should look at, or wait for the final draft?

The 1st edition of the Loose Canon is freely available to read and download (for personal consuption) at http://www.loose-canon.info. The 2nd edition I believe is still being compiled

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

StJason
Gnocchetti Galley Slave
Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Postby StJason » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Nancy Delia wrote:I believe the story that I was referring to was written by St. Jason. I think the book of the Loose Canon is called Revelations of St. Jason.

Que? What?
---
Darwin's Purge, verse 39.

You know the thing that I hate about these .sigblocks? Never have a good idea what to put in them.

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:09 pm

StJason wrote:
Nancy Delia wrote:I believe the story that I was referring to was written by St. Jason. I think the book of the Loose Canon is called Revelations of St. Jason.

Que? What?

did you write the Revelations of St. Jason?

"Any who believe" said St. James "Are saved. There is a spot in Heaven for them. While it is possible to a complete douche bag and still get into Heaven, you will not be invited to the parties, nor on the pillaging crews, nor to swim in the cauldron. Some get over it and knock off the crap. They slowly get accepted further up the mountain. Others accept their place and set about making it better. They quickly find themselves very busy far up the slopes. And others still can't give it up. They find their place down here, and grumble about the beer, and complain about the ugly strippers, yet do nothing to improve their situation. They may spend eternity down here." he explained. "Are they doomed? Will they never partake of the Holy Font of beers? Never taste the Perfect Alfredo? Never set eyes upon the Most Beautiful Strippers?" I asked shocked. "Don't be an ass." said St. James. "They can go wherever they want. This is Heaven, after all! But like in real life, people don't like to hang out with chowder heads. And more and more, those who deserve find themselves accepted for who they are up the slopes, and those who remain without virtue, find themselves accepted farther down." "Ugh." Said I. "It sounds like high school." "It is like high school," replied St. James. "But unlike that flawed copy, in Heaven, you are actually valued by what you are worth, rather then by who you are dating or who is on the football team." "So what are these virtues, then?" I asked. "Oh, sorry. I got sidetracked there." Said St. James. And proceeded to give me the Second Truth for real this time. ~Revelations of St. Jason 1:9

the Revelations of St. Jason is my favorite book in the entire loose cannon.

Here is proof that you wrote it.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11868&p=423639&hilit=douche#p423639

IspywithmeI
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby IspywithmeI » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Nancy Delia wrote:has anybody ever stopped to consider the possible future of the pastafarian religion? will we exist in 10 years? in 50 years? in 100 years?

It will die only nothing lasts forever. I consider trying to predict future events a waste of my short time here on earth.
Viewed through a telescope I live in a world governed by Einsteinian relativity
Viewed through a microscope I live in a world governed by quantum uncertainty
Simply seen I am present and not New

Nancy Delia
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Nancy Delia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm

IspywithmeI wrote:
Nancy Delia wrote:has anybody ever stopped to consider the possible future of the pastafarian religion? will we exist in 10 years? in 50 years? in 100 years?

It will die only nothing lasts forever. I consider trying to predict future events a waste of my short time here on earth.

sure but not every idea dies within 50 years. christianity is a pretty old idea. judaism is a really old idea. we know that they will eventually die too but they could both survive another thousand years. can we expect the idea of the flying spaghetti monster to last another thousand years? i really don't think that pastafarianism can survive that long if it remains in its current form.

IspywithmeI
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby IspywithmeI » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 pm

Nancy Delia wrote:sure but not every idea dies within 50 years. christianity is a pretty old idea. judaism is a really old idea. we know that they will eventually die too but they could both survive another thousand years. can we expect the idea of the flying spaghetti monster to last another thousand years? i really don't think that pastafarianism can survive that long if it remains in its current form.

It's not the names that matter it's the idea's. I still love the idea of a sungod.
Viewed through a telescope I live in a world governed by Einsteinian relativity
Viewed through a microscope I live in a world governed by quantum uncertainty
Simply seen I am present and not New

StJason
Gnocchetti Galley Slave
Location: Sacramento, California, United States, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Postby StJason » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:10 am

Nancy Delia wrote:
StJason wrote:

Que? What?

did you write the Revelations of St. Jason?

Se moi. But I don't think I was predicting the future. I just died. And was taken on a little trip through the afterlife. But I got better.
---
Darwin's Purge, verse 39.

You know the thing that I hate about these .sigblocks? Never have a good idea what to put in them.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:56 am

StJason wrote:
Nancy Delia wrote:did you write the Revelations of St. Jason?

Se moi. But I don't think I was predicting the future. I just died. And was taken on a little trip through the afterlife. But I got better.

Yup - someone hit him on the head with a badger. Nasty things flying badgers are - especially when flung from a trebuchet by an unknown Cardinal who found the badger in their dungeon's basement...

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Return to “All Things FSM”