Student testing, seriously

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Fauxqui
Conchigliette Convert

Student testing, seriously

Postby Fauxqui » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:30 pm

My daughter wants to opt my granddaughter out of testing in the 4th grade. The only excuse her teacher will accept is a religious one. As a Pastafarian clergy-person I can write a letter to the teacher explaining that testing is contrary to the teachings of His Noodliness because it takes time away from studies of important things like science, arts and pirates. Any thoughts? :nefyoobash:

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Re: Student testing, seriously

Postby ChowMein » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

Wot ?
Ye means no exams wotsoeffer ?
Ye can do that ?
Wot parrt of.thee world so ye hang yer hat m8?

ItchyPirate
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby ItchyPirate » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Tests are meant to help enforce the knowledge gained through studying.

The only reason I'd advocate not having to take a test is if the class in question contradicts religious and/or moral beliefs. One example of that is if your granddaughter's history teacher teaches the "conventional view" of Pirates, rather than the "Pastafarian view". In that case, I'd be all for writing to the teacher to tell him/her that the class contradicts your granddaughter's religion.
Captain Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:40 pm

If the American system us anything like the Limey version their test results early on will affect targets that are set for teenage years. If that is the case, get the rugrat to do really badly on the early years tests. Later on when they start doing 'proper' tests they will be seen to have made a huge amount of progress and every teacher will love them.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 am

ItchyPirate wrote:Tests are meant to help enforce the knowledge gained through studying.

The only reason I'd advocate not having to take a test is if the class in question contradicts religious and/or moral beliefs. One example of that is if your granddaughter's history teacher teaches the "conventional view" of Pirates, rather than the "Pastafarian view". In that case, I'd be all for writing to the teacher to tell him/her that the class contradicts your granddaughter's religion.

I would like to point out, however, that this is not necessarily the teacher's fault. For example, if they live in America, and have to follow Common Core, and they don't have a choice . . . I mean, they might even be Pastafarian, and we would never know! Raise your hand if you've ever had to hide your faith for fear of the consequences! Oh wait . . . Okay so I can't see you, but at least one person who is reading this knows what I'm talking about.
You gotta leave the possibility open. Also, if they do it like they do in my school, the head of the department decides what all the teachers in their department (science/history/et cetera) teach. Again, maybe not the teacher's choice. You do, however, have every write to right to the teacher.
EDIT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . switch these two words---> ^ . . . . .^.

Return to “All Things FSM”