First day with my new religion

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

creampuff
Conchigliette Convert

First day with my new religion

Postby creampuff » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Hello fellow Pastafarians. Today is the first day of my free thirty day trial and I could use a little advice from some of the more senior members.

Today my family and I went to Wal-Mart. While looking for a parking spot at the very busy Wal-Mart a miracle occurred! We got a parking spot one car away from the front of the store! It was abundantly clear to me that his "Noodly appendage" had preserved that spot just for me; there is simply no other reasonable explanation. I said a prayer of thanks and my wife mocked me for my new faith :-(.

Being a new member, I am concerned about some potential unintended consequences of my new faith. Is there a possibility that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will smite my wife down for her disrespect? I love my wife dearly and hope this is not the case.

Also any tips for helping people to understand that mocking someones faith is wrong, even faith in the FSM?

Thank you all,

CreamPuff.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: First day with my new religion

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:14 am

Welcome, creampuff.

Firstly, the FSM isn't big on smiting. Isn't big on much in the way of interventions, to be honest. He likes a beer, and then He leaves us to get on with it, mostly. I am impressed by the parking spot, though! RAmen!

Faith in the FSM isn't that different to any other faith. Others take their religion seriously? So should you. Christian tells you you're going to Hell? Tell them they are forgiven and turn the other cheek. Buddhists mocking your faith? Meditate at them. Hindus offended by your God? Ask if you can borrow one of theirs - they have enough to go round. Sikhs are easily bought off with food, don't worry about them.

Hope that helps.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

creampuff
Conchigliette Convert

Postby creampuff » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:08 am

Thanks Roy!

My 11 year old son has been asking why I have been giving thanks to his "Noodly appendage". I have been apprehensive about answering for fear he might wind up in FSM's smite queue. Knowing no such queue exists is a major relief! :haha:

May his noodly appendage be with you all!

CreamPuff

Cap'n Grey Beard
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Cap'n Grey Beard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:47 am

Make her walk the plank! Aarrgghhhhhh!

Since its her first offence the plank can just be in the garden. But should she persist place it over a paddling pool!
That will put the fear of slightly damp feet into the wench!

If that doesn't work it's lashes! Make her wear false eye lashes all week. This never fails.

Aaaaarrrrggghhahahahahaah!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:09 am

creampuff wrote:Also any tips for helping people to understand that mocking someones faith is wrong, even faith in the FSM?

One thing to remember is that while no religion should be mocked with intent to harm, different religions do have different histories, and different relations to one another.

FSM was founded as a mock or satire religion, which doesn't mean you can't take it as your own religion and practice it, but it does mean it has a different history to other religions. At its best, this satire is a respectful mirror and a useful tool for navigating intelligent design vs. ID debates, or separation of church and state issues generally. At its worst, people do use it to mock theism generally and Christianity in particular.

Also, by the inherent nature of flimsy moral standards, we have different levels of stakes in various issues. Take religious headgear in government IDs... Yes, we should be allowed to wear the headgear, but honestly if we choose not to or if the government is obstinate and won't let us, Our Globular Lord won't be concerned, much less notice. On the other hand, wearing the hijab may be a much more strictly required garment, whether culturally or religiously, for some Muslims. So in my opinion, it might be offensive to equate the two as totally equal endeavors for religious recognition.

Also one should be careful about where and how one employs the comparison to Pastafarianism. For instance, for education curricula, we want to be included because ultimately, the point is that religion does not belong in science classrooms. Now if we say we want Pastafarian headgear recognized as an exemption in Photo ID rules... is that because we think no one should have exemptions, or because we actually want to increase freedom to wear religious headgear? Just something to think about.

Anyway, another track you might take for helping people understanding that mockery (as opposed to thoughtful satire) of religion is wrong, is the ol' evidence track. Christians may believe deeply in Christianity, but there reasons for belief are never universal or normative, nothing like scientific facts (I think you're in safer territory mocking someone for not accepting that gravity, for example, is true), and the same is true for Muslims, and even Pastafarians. No religion is so convincingly true it can't have room for doubt, and conversely there's no argument that can be made to totally disprove any. Like how there's no scientific experiment which can prove or disprove the existence of God, or the FSM (or that scientific knowledge is the only and 100% accurate form of human knowledge about the universe).

Mockery doesn't build bridges or help people not hat each other, generally. Asking questions and listening generally does. Last piece of advice, similar to what Roy said: if a Christian is mocking another religion, there are probably plenty of resources within Christianity that would instruct its follower to not mock, and instead start respectful discourse. Same for Muslims, Hindus, etc.

:fsm_float:
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:37 pm

Qwerty is wise

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:09 am

yup

he a big wai gai rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Oi agree, qwetyuiopasd knows wa' 'e's taw'kin bout.

Return to “All Things FSM”