Weddings and ordination

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

ad5smith
Conchigliette Convert

Weddings and ordination

Postby ad5smith » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:02 am

I am sure this has been talked about before. How do I know if my state recognizes or allows people ordained in the name of the FSM?

I live in Oklahoma

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Re: Weddings and ordination

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:17 am

Oklahoma law says

All marriages must be contracted by a formal ceremony performed or solemnized in the presence of at least two adult, competent persons as witnesses, by a judge or retired judge of any court in this state, or an ordained or authorized preacher or minister of the Gospel, priest or other ecclesiastical dignitary of any denomination who has been duly ordained or authorized by the church to which he or she belongs to preach the Gospel, or a rabbi and who is at least eighteen (18) years of age.

So I guess in theory that means that an ordained monister or ministroni of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster would be acceptable.

But I would suggest contacting the office of your local marriage authority (probably your county clerk), let them know that you are an ordained monister of the CoFSM, and ask what they will require of you to officiate a legal marriage, just to be on the safe side.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: Weddings and ordination

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:27 pm

Speaking as a person who has been married for nearly 20 years (this time), I can say with great confidence that the title of this thread would be more accurately written as "Weddings and Ordinance".
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Return to “All Things FSM”