Happy New Year

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: A dungeon on Viltvodle VI

Happy New Year

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:52 am

May His Noodliness bless you this coming orbit of the planet around the sun

CF
Image
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net


My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:43 pm

What do you mean? Don't you know the world is as flat as lasagna, and the sun orbits the earth, reminding us of one of His large meatballs? And even so, that the moon orbits the lands and the oceans He created, reminding us at night (and sometimes during the day) of His OTHER meaty ball?

User avatar
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor
Posts: 7031
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 am
Location: In the woods, watching

Re: Happy New Year

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:32 am

May he reach forth his noodley appendages and touch the politicians and their appointees that will apparently be driving, for the next few years at least, the bus in which I am strapped to the rearmost seat.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

User avatar
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk
Posts: 4230
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: off me leesh
Contact:

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:43 am

'appy no ears effabuddy , rrrr .
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:46 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:May he reach forth his noodley appendages and touch the politicians and their appointees that will apparently be driving, for the next few years at least, the bus in which I am strapped to the rearmost seat.

Going off of that ET, I don't like the voting process. If you turn 18 the day after voting concludes, the presidential candidate chosen dictates the laws you live under for the next four years, but you don't get a say in who is elected. I think that anyone who will be 18 in 3 years and 364 days, counting from Inauguration Day (that gets capitalized right?), should get a vote. I also believe that voting under the age of 18 SHOULD be allowed, and based off of an intellectual test (such as an IQ test, but not factoring in memory. Otherwise, people born with good memory would have unfair representation), because the idea that turning 18 makes you intelligent enough to make decisions is, as Oromis once said, "It’s lazy repugnant, and indicative of an inferior mind." It's like how the military is structured. "Oh, so you can shoot pretty straight? You're a pretty good shot, plus I like you, so I'm goin' to give YOU a leading position, thus taking you off the front lines, wasting your talent with a firearm, and putting someone who may or may not be incompetent commanding others in exactly the position to do so. Sound good?" A certain Bean noticed that too . . .

User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
Posts: 9896
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Here

Re: Happy New Year

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:50 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:

What are you smoking? I want some.

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I think that anyone who will be 18 in 3 years and 364 days, counting from Inauguration Day (that gets capitalized right?), should get a vote. I also believe that voting under the age of 18 SHOULD be allowed, and based off of an intellectual test (such as an IQ test, but not factoring in memory. Otherwise, people born with good memory would have unfair representation), because the idea that turning 18 makes you intelligent enough to make decisions is, as Oromis once said, "It’s lazy repugnant, and indicative of an inferior mind."

So you want 14 year olds to vote? Like it or not, if you accept that babies cannot vote (as most people do) there must be a legal cutoff. That age is 18 (in the UK and US). If you are not of that age, you can't vote. 'Nuff said. I teach 11 to 18 year olds and I wouldn't trust most 14 year olds to put their trousers on the right way round. I might, on a good day, trust them with a stapler. There is no way I would be happy giving them a vote in the future of their country knowing the majority will vote for the candidate that endorses Pokemon GO / bottle flipping / dabbing / whatever craze is currently popular.

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:It's like how the military is structured. "Oh, so you can shoot pretty straight? You're a pretty good shot, plus I like you, so I'm goin' to give YOU a leading position, thus taking you off the front lines, wasting your talent with a firearm, and putting someone who may or may not be incompetent commanding others in exactly the position to do so. Sound good?" A certain Bean noticed that too .

I doubt the US military is that different to the British Army (note, not UK army or Royal Army). Soldiers are promoted on leadership and the ability to command others in battle - the shouty sergeant bloke is unlikely to be the best shot but will be able to get the best shots in the place they can shoot best. The people ordering everyone about will be officers who (if the British Army is anything to go by) almost never fire a weapon or read a map. They are responsible for telling the shouty people where to move the actual shooty people. Having spent drinking time with a few blokes in the army (both shooty and officery persuasions) I can tell you are talking out of your arse (in respect to the British Army anyway).
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

daftbeaker wrote:
StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I think you might have mistyped here

What are you smoking? I want some.

[ . . . ]

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:It's like how the military is structured. "Oh, so you can shoot pretty straight? You're a pretty good shot, plus I like you, so I'm goin' to give YOU a leading position, thus taking you off the front lines, wasting your talent with a firearm, and putting someone who may or may not be incompetent commanding others in exactly the position to do so. Sound good?" A certain Bean noticed that too .

I doubt the US military is that different to the British Army (note, not UK army or Royal Army). Soldiers are promoted on leadership and the ability to command others in battle - the shouty sergeant bloke is unlikely to be the best shot but will be able to get the best shots in the place they can shoot best. The people ordering everyone about will be officers who (if the British Army is anything to go by) almost never fire a weapon or read a map. They are responsible for telling the shouty people where to move the actual shooty people. Having spent drinking time with a few blokes in the army (both shooty and officery persuasions) I can tell you are talking out of your arse (in respect to the British Army anyway).

I don't know anything about Britain (except that you have way better obscenities than we do in America), so maybe your country isn't like that. As for America, we generally get by with lots of money and tons of people. The leadership issue is self-fixing. If you can get one intelligent person into leadership, they promote other intelligent people. The problem is that leaders usually go for bark instead of bite. Admittedly, it HAS gotten better in the last fifty years, but it also shouldn't have gotten that bad in the first place.
daftbeaker wrote:
StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I think that anyone who will be 18 in 3 years and 364 days, counting from Inauguration Day (that gets capitalized right?), should get a vote. I also believe that voting under the age of 18 SHOULD be allowed, and based off of an intellectual test (such as an IQ test, but not factoring in memory. Otherwise, people born with good memory would have unfair representation), because the idea that turning 18 makes you intelligent enough to make decisions is, as Oromis once said, "It’s lazy repugnant, and indicative of an inferior mind."


So you want 14 year olds to vote? Like it or not, if you accept that babies cannot vote (as most people do) there must be a legal cutoff. That age is 18 (in the UK and US). If you are not of that age, you can't vote. 'Nuff said. I teach 11 to 18 year olds and I wouldn't trust most 14 year olds to put their trousers on the right way round. I might, on a good day, trust them with a stapler. There is no way I would be happy giving them a vote in the future of their country knowing the majority will vote for the candidate that endorses Pokemon GO / bottle flipping / dabbing / whatever craze is currently popular.

While that is a concern, I think you skipped over a certain line:
(This guy is pretty cool, he probably knows what he's talking about--->)StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I also believe that voting under the age of 18 SHOULD be allowed, and based off of an intellectual test (such as an IQ test, but not factoring in memory. Otherwise, people born with good memory would have unfair representation)

This part is key. As to how we would determine a good test is beyond me. Believe me, the only people who would pass that test would be people like me and most of my friends. I don't even have a Facebook account (I technically do, but that was because someone wanted me to play BTD5 with them. I also technically have a twitter account, but that was for a school project, and I haven't used it even once for anything else). And you think we're gonna vote for some bottle-flipping rapper in a backwards hat who lives on wheels? Never gonna happen, not in a million years.
P.S.: I have NEVER, NOT ONCE, taken a selfie, nor allowed anyone to take a selfie with me in it. First, I prefer to not have my picture taken. Second, I find it hard to smile for pictures. I only smile when I have something to smile about. Third, I refuse on the grounds that selfies are stupid.

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 am

Also, I am not stating that I know what is right and wrong. I only know what I believe to be right and wrong. That, along with hearing and respecting the views of others, is really all the saucy FSM expects from us. More than that he just politely asks for.

User avatar
Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk
Posts: 4230
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: off me leesh
Contact:

Re: Happy New Year

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:..................... I only know what I believe to be right and wrong...................


Uncca Earwick nose wots rite an' rong duddent he Uncca PrayFriskyMyTequila ?

Uncca Errikk duddent nik enywuns riting duz 'e unka Prayfriskywossernaem ?

Et ok 2 nik wot uvver peepull rits idden it Unkawossername ?

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lurk:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 pm

I NEED A MODERATOR!!!! I'M BEING HARASSED!!!!! HE WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE!!!! GET IT OFF GET IT OFF GET IT OFF GET IT OFF!!!

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 am

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:Uncca Earwick nose wots rite an' rong duddent he Uncca PrayFriskyMyTequila ?

First, stop harassing me, I'm sure it's in the rules somewhere that only mods and admins get to do that.
Second, it's, "StayThirtyMyAguila". With an, 'Aguila', as in the Roman's center centuria's standard.

User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
Posts: 9896
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Here

Re: Happy New Year

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:
Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:Uncca Earwick nose wots rite an' rong duddent he Uncca PrayFriskyMyTequila ?

First, stop harassing me, I'm sure it's in the rules somewhere that only mods and admins get to do that.
Second, it's, "StayThirtyMyAguila". With an, 'Aguila', as in the Roman's center centuria's standard.

Well, that's a bit harsh. Nef Yoo just wants to play. His spelling isn't great either but he's only three (apparently, he has his third birthday every other month as far as I can tell).
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 pm

No, you don't understand. It's like he view my posts and goes to every one of them to make some comment about me being Eric (Erik? Still don't know), and every time it's completely irrelevant to the conversation. Plus, anyone new who sees the post is gonna get the wrong idea. I see no reason for him to want to play this way, and either way I don't want to play this game.
Also I checked the rules and as I quoted them in another thread, they DO say that he is harassing me and has to stop or be banned. As I said in the other thread, harassing me is a treat reserved for the mods and admins on this site.

User avatar
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor
Posts: 7031
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 am
Location: In the woods, watching

Re: Happy New Year

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Image
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

User avatar
StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm
Location: The depths of Archaide.

Re: Happy New Year

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:57 pm

Wow nice way to squash the tension in the room ET. :lol: :love:
Showing us our noodly creator, in the form of a twisted and brutally sheared chunk of metal upon a metal fence/gate. :worship: :worship: :worship: :fsm: :fsm_float: :fsm_rock:


Return to “All Things FSM”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests