Promising Young Writers

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Nate
Ziti Zealot

Promising Young Writers

Postby Nate » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:53 am

I participated in my school's Promising Young Writers program this year, and the prompt for one of the essays we had to do was anything of our choice. Now, guess what I chose? There's no way in hell I'm winning with this, but my first essay made me past the first round, so it might be enough. No idea. I thought I would share it with you guys.

...Once I figure out how to attach a Word document. You know, for a millennial, I'm pretty technologically inept.
Pastafarianism is so great that it would receive a 9.6/10 on RateMyReligion.com, if such a website existed. :fsm_float:

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: Promising Young Writers

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:18 am

You can't attach a Word document. You can put it in Dropbox and share a link, you can copy & paste the text, but this forum doesn't support attachmments.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Nate wrote:...Once I figure out how to attach a Word document. You know, for a millennial, I'm pretty technologically inept.

Remember,
Rev. Daniel Scott wrote:Copy-pasta is your friend.

In case anyone here needs a tutorial:
That's holding the ctrl button, then (STILL HOLDING DOWN THE CTRL BUTTON) hitting the "c" button. That is how you copy.
Then, hold down the ctrl button again, and hit the "v" button. That is how you pasta.

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Not all of us can open Micro$#!% Word documents. I suggest either OpenDocument Format (aka ODF) or PDF, both of which are supported by recent versions of Microsoft Word and LibreOffice Writer.
The Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:28 am

Google Docs would work too. I guarantee all of us have google and google accounts.

'Murican Bald Eagle
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby 'Murican Bald Eagle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:20 pm

I'm writing a new book, my publisher has given me a $500000 forwarding advance. I think I'll make him Secretary of State, aarrrgh!

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 pm

'Urk Uber Troll wrote:I'm a Urk, my tallywakker is a wee wee and has giving me eye prollums looking for it.
I think I need a magnifyin glass to see it , too much tallywanking aarrrgh!

:welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:Google Docs would work too. I guarantee all of us have google and google accounts.

I guarantee I don't. I'm way too paranoid when it comes to privacy. Same for many others.

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:47 pm

ItchyPirate wrote:
StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:Google Docs would work too. I guarantee all of us have google and google accounts.

I guarantee I don't. I'm way too paranoid when it comes to privacy. Same for many others.

Same here .

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 am

ChowMein wrote:
ItchyPirate wrote:

Same here .

Silly humans, thinking that there's anything resembling privacy available anywhere in Northa Merica, Yerp, or most of Asia.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:04 am

I use a M$ account for one job and a Google one for the other. I don't do anything *interesting* with either of them.

Getting back to the OP. You are not collaborating, so you don't need an editable document or to track changes. Make a PDF in Word and post it somewhere like Dropbox, One Drive or Google Drive. Post a link here. We have to check links, but it's the easiest way to post a document.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Getting back to the OP. You are not collaborating, so you don't need an editable document or to track changes. Make a PDF in Word and post it somewhere like Dropbox, One Drive or Google Drive. Post a link here. We have to check links, but it's the easiest way to post a document.

You do realize google docs has an option that lets him give anyone the right to only VIEW the document, right? But yeah, PDF would also work.
And would you stop your darn necromancy?

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:52 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
ChowMein wrote:
ItchyPirate wrote:

Same here .

Silly humans, thinking that there's anything resembling privacy available anywhere in Northa Merica, Yerp, or most of Asia.

I never said I thought that. In fact, I never said I live in North America or Asia. Though I do intend to move to a country that does respect my privacy.

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:Getting back to the OP. You are not collaborating, so you don't need an editable document or to track changes. Make a PDF in Word and post it somewhere like Dropbox, One Drive or Google Drive. Post a link here. We have to check links, but it's the easiest way to post a document.

You do realize google docs has an option that lets him give anyone the right to only VIEW the document, right? But yeah, PDF would also work.
And would you stop your darn necromancy?

If it's on anything Google, I won't bother looking at it. Study up on Google's tracking practices and you'll know even a "View Only" thing on Google Docs isn't safe from tracking.

As for necromancy, us members of the Necromancer's Club tend to enjoy it :haha: :nefyoobash:

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:31 am

ItchyPirate wrote:As for necromancy, us members of the Necromancer's Club tend to enjoy it :haha: :nefyoobash:

So it was YOU all along!
I never would have thought . . . leave that to my other go-to username!
No, my other go-to is not MBE.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:
ItchyPirate wrote:As for necromancy, us members of the Necromancer's Club tend to enjoy it :haha: :nefyoobash:

So it was ME ! all along!
I never have a thought . . . leave that to my other go-to username!
JUNE IS COMING muahahahaha.
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Return to “All Things FSM”