To stem the tide of vitriolic hate mail...

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

villageidiom71990
Conchigliette Convert

To stem the tide of vitriolic hate mail...

Postby villageidiom71990 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:05 am

Sigh... some people just can't take a joke. I will try to explain this as calmly as possible. In doing so, I hope to stem the self-destruction of people who take the CFSM seriously and actually utilize it as a religion, and the criticism of people who take the CFSM seriously and think it's a dangerous cult.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not constitute a true religion. It is a satire, intended to lampoon most other religions, especially Christianity and the theory of creationism/intelligent design. CFSM is not a cult, and anyone who genuinely believes that a levitating mass of pasta created the universe is just as gullible and deluded as somebody who thinks that some naked white guy with a beard did it.

Joining forums, joking around, and discussing honest-to-His-Noodliness issues is fine. Liking pirates is fine. Thinking that creationism and global warming are both BS is not just fine, it's rational. Getting sucked in and believing that anything in particular--a Flying Spaghetti Monster, a God, a high school physics textbook--was solely responsible for the creation of the universe is a dangerous way to live.

I'm here because I want to make fun of other people and have some inside jokes. I'm not here because I believe the FSM (or anything) created the universe.

In conclusion, CFSM is not blasphemous; it does not condemn all those who join it to a Christian hell; and it most certainly does not ruin people's lives. Gullible idiots ruin their own lives. CFSM is a way to poke fun at mindless sheep that follow charismatic leaders and believe in unscientific ideas without a good reason. If you post "stfu your all morons get lives you fags and maybe some girlfriends" or "you made my sister commit suicide you will all burn in hell," you miss the point entirely.

There. I'm done ranting. All hail His Noodliness, and may Marinara be with you.

NeoDude
Ziti Zealot

Postby NeoDude » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:38 am

BLASPHEMY!!!!! :twisted:

Only joking. I agree with you 100% dude.

May your sauce be Dolmio and your parmesan thick in coverage. RAmen.

EarthRise
Hox God

Re: To stem the tide of vitriolic hate mail...

Postby EarthRise » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:52 am

villageidiom71990 wrote:The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not constitute a true religion. It is a satire, intended to lampoon most other religions, especially Christianity and the theory of creationism/intelligent design. CFSM is not a cult, and anyone who genuinely believes that a levitating mass of pasta created the universe is just as gullible and deluded as somebody who thinks that some naked white guy with a beard did it.

It's not even *that* threatening, I'd say. FSM is simply an intricate religious mockery of the idea that ID should be taught in a science class. Some people take it out of context and make it a complete religious satire (me included), but at its fundamental level, it remains a scathingly critical reductio ad absurdum of Intelligent Design's place in the public schools.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

scottvd1
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby scottvd1 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:05 pm

your completly right mate. its a joke. but some one does have to mock people who follow ID
Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English-speaking countries
Thou shalt not pimp my ride
Thou shalt not quote me happy
Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture
Thou shalt not wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Thou shalt spell the word Pheonix p-h-e-o-n-i-x, not p-h-o-e-n-i-x, regardless of what the Oxford English Dictionary tells you
Thou shalt think for yourselves

Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Jean Bart » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:36 pm

But if satire will ever convert the "satirized"... :( In our case, those who appreciate the satire seem to have a fairly well developed sense of humor AND wit, combined with the ability to use those in an in-depth discussion of serious matters. The fundies have at least ONE thing in common (other than reading our posts loosely, missing the point entirely, and throw tons of hate mail desperately): their TOTAL LACK of sense of humour!! :(

They're hopeless, let's face it, and hope they don't breed TOO much :roll:

RAmen to you all! :fsm_yarr:
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)

Brother Boyardee
Ziti Zealot

Postby Brother Boyardee » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:17 am

What are you guys talking about?!? His Noodly Greatness is no joke, and definitely not satire.

Oh well, every religion has it's equivalent of Mormons I guess. I will be praying for you guys tonight while I mince the garlic.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: To stem the tide of vitriolic hate mail...

Postby Duke » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:51 pm

villageidiom71990 wrote:Thinking that creationism and global warming are both BS is not just fine, it's rational.

HOLD UP.

To the first half of that section (Before the and), my answer is, "Sure, fine, whatever." To the second, post-and bit, I've got news for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Co2- ... e-plot.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_commitment_studies

And don't even try to tell me that Wikipedia isn't a viable source. Look at the bottom of those pages and you've got sources galore.

But hey, there's more where that came from anyway.

Some government sites:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/glo ... ng.html#Q1

What is the greenhouse effect, and is it affecting our climate?
The greenhouse effect is unquestionably real and helps to regulate the temperature of our planet. It is essential for life on Earth and is one of Earth's natural processes. It is the result of heat absorption by certain gases in the atmosphere (called greenhouse gases because they effectively 'trap' heat in the lower atmosphere) and re-radiation downward of some of that heat. Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas, followed by carbon dioxide and other trace gases. Without a natural greenhouse effect, the temperature of the Earth would be about zero degrees F (-18°C) instead of its present 57°F (14°C). So, the concern is not with the fact that we have a greenhouse effect, but whether human activities are leading to an enhancement of the greenhouse effect.

Are greenhouse gases increasing?
Human activity has been increasing the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (mostly carbon dioxide from combustion of coal, oil, and gas; plus a few other trace gases). There is no scientific debate on this point. Pre-industrial levels of carbon dioxide (prior to the start of the Industrial Revolution) were about 280 parts per million by volume (ppmv), and current levels are about 370 ppmv. The concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere today, has not been exceeded in the last 420,000 years, and likely not in the last 20 million years. According to the IPCC Special Report on Emission Scenarios (SRES), by the end of the 21st century, we could expect to see carbon dioxide concentrations of anywhere from 490 to 1260 ppm (75-350% above the pre-industrial concentration).

Is the climate warming?
Yes. Global surface temperatures have increased about 0.6°C (plus or minus 0.2°C) since the late-19th century, and about 0.4°F (0.2 to 0.3°C) over the past 25 years (the period with the most credible data). The warming has not been globally uniform. Some areas (including parts of the southeastern U.S.) have, in fact, cooled over the last century. The recent warmth has been greatest over North America and Eurasia between 40 and 70°N. Warming, assisted by the record El Niño of 1997-1998, has continued right up to the present, with 2001 being the second warmest year on record after 1998.

Linear trends can vary greatly depending on the period over which they are computed. Temperature trends in the lower troposphere (between about 2,500 and 26,000 ft.) from 1979 to the present, the period for which Satellite Microwave Sounding Unit data exist, are small and may be unrepresentative of longer term trends and trends closer to the surface. Furthermore, there are small unresolved differences between radiosonde and satellite observations of tropospheric temperatures, though both data sources show slight warming trends. If one calculates trends beginning with the commencement of radiosonde data in the 1950s, there is a slight greater warming in the record due to increases in the 1970s. There are statistical and physical reasons (e.g., short record lengths, the transient differential effects of volcanic activity and El Niño, and boundary layer effects) for expecting differences between recent trends in surface and lower tropospheric temperatures, but the exact causes for the differences are still under investigation (see National Research Council report "Reconciling Observations of Global Temperature Change").

An enhanced greenhouse effect is expected to cause cooling in higher parts of the atmosphere because the increased "blanketing" effect in the lower atmosphere holds in more heat, allowing less to reach the upper atmosphere. Cooling of the lower stratosphere (about 49,000-79,500ft.) since 1979 is shown by both satellite Microwave Sounding Unit and radiosonde data, but is larger in the radiosonde data.

Relatively cool surface and tropospheric temperatures, and a relatively warmer lower stratosphere, were observed in 1992 and 1993, following the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. The warming reappeared in 1994. A dramatic global warming, at least partly associated with the record El Niño, took place in 1998. This warming episode is reflected from the surface to the top of the troposphere.

There has been a general, but not global, tendency toward reduced diurnal temperature range (DTR), (the difference between high and low daily temperatures) over about 50% of the global land mass since the middle of the 20th century. Cloud cover has increased in many of the areas with reduced diurnal temperature range. The overall positive trend for maximum daily temperature over the period of study (1950-93) is 0.1°C/decade, whereas the trend for daily minimum temperatures is 0.2°C/decade. This results in a negative trend in the DTR of -0.1°C/decade.

Indirect indicators of warming such as borehole temperatures, snow cover, and glacier recession data, are in substantial agreement with the more direct indicators of recent warmth. Evidence such as changes in glacier length is useful since it not only provides qualitative support for existing meteorological data, but glaciers often exist in places too remote to support meteorological stations, the records of glacial advance and retreat often extend back further than weather station records, and glaciers are usually at much higher alititudes that weather stations allowing us more insight into temperature changes higher in the atmosphere.

Large-scale measurements of sea-ice have only been possible since the satellite era, but through looking at a number of different satellite estimates, it has been determined that Arctic sea ice has decreased between 1973 and 1996 at a rate of -2.8 +/- 0.3%/decade. Although this seems to correspond to a general increase in temperature over the same period, there are lots of quasi-cyclic atmospheric dynamics (for example the Arctic Oscillation) which may also influence the extent and thickness of sea-ice in the Arctic. Sea-ice in the Antarctic has shown very little trend over the same period, or even a slight increase since 1979. Though extending the Antarctic sea-ice record back in time is more difficult due to the lack of direct observations in this part of the world.

And some cold, hard, science.

http://www.climatehotmap.org/

http://www.ucsusa.org/

http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/default.asp

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

leapofaith97
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby leapofaith97 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Ahh, hell, its on now! :wink:
ken worley wrote:The rule is,

"Leaves of three, let it be..."

"Leaves of four, run home, press it in a diary, then put some pink ribbons in your hair, skip over to your boyfriend's house, and spend the next three hours tongue-kissing him."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:40 pm

Duke, lovely that you're prepared to jump on people for certain issues, but wether Global warming is in fact happening isn't the issue here.

Pastafarianism takes no stand on Global Warming. at least, no serious one.

the decline of pirates in the past something-hundred years is clearly not the cause of the global rise in temperature. yet the two are inversely proportional... interesting, no? the graph merely goes to point out the fact that things that seem to be a cause and effect aren't necessarily, and you'd need to do more research than just pulling up a graph.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:48 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Duke, lovely that you're prepared to jump on people for certain issues, but wether Global warming is in fact happening isn't the issue here.

I consider it jumping on people for the truth, thank you very much. 8) And if global warming isn't the issue, then why did villageidiom bring it up? You ought to ask.

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Pastafarianism takes no stand on Global Warming. at least, no serious one.

the decline of pirates in the past something-hundred years is clearly not the cause of the global rise in temperature. yet the two are inversely proportional... interesting, no? the graph merely goes to point out the fact that things that seem to be a cause and effect aren't necessarily, and you'd need to do more research than just pulling up a graph.

~Qwerty

You're right, the decline of pirates in the past something-hundred years is clearly not the cause of global rise in temperature. And also, we shouldn't teach religious creation myths in public science classes.

The way I see it, the pirate graph spoofs pseudo-science, as does the entire FSM movement.

Also, Qwerty, lovely that you're prepared to jump on me for...saying anything. Cheers.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Goat Starer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:28 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:the decline of pirates in the past something-hundred years is clearly not the cause of the global rise in temperature. yet the two are inversely proportional... interesting, no? ~Qwerty

interesting..... erm.... no! It was a good point that cause and effect are not the same as inverse trends which may be entirely unrelated but the global number of pirates in the period of highest global warming has been consistently rising...

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... irates.htm

they may not have cutlasses and parrots but clothes is just clothes, weapons is just weapons and most proffessions move with the times.
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Jean Bart » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:17 am

but the global number of pirates in the period of highest global warming has been consistently rising...

Look what our prophet says about this in the FAQ section of venganza's "about" page:

Q: There are more pirates now than ever. Look at the South Pacific. And song-downloading pirates, and blah blah blah.
A: Real pirates use swords (cutlasses, actually). Those “piratesâ€￾ in the south pacific are guys with machine guns, cruising around in power-boats. They’re not pirates. And the song-downloading “piratesâ€￾ are smelly nerds, and therefore not real pirates.
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)

"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")

"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)

Goat Starer
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Goat Starer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:04 am

Jean Bart wrote:
but the global number of pirates in the period of highest global warming has been consistently rising...

Look what our prophet says about this in the FAQ section of venganza's "about" page:

Q: There are more pirates now than ever. Look at the South Pacific. And song-downloading pirates, and blah blah blah.
A: Real pirates use swords (cutlasses, actually). Those “piratesâ€￾ in the south pacific are guys with machine guns, cruising around in power-boats. They’re not pirates. And the song-downloading “piratesâ€￾ are smelly nerds, and therefore not real pirates.

a specious argument. From the ancient world to the barbary corsairs to the bucaneers and Blackbeard pirates have always updated vessels and weaponry. Otherwise the navies of the world and the merchantmen they prey on would have made mincemeat of them. real pirates over the years have used swords, pistols, cutlasses, cannon, rifles and now machineguns and rocket launchers. Their boats have moved from galleys to galleons to motorboats.

Though it may pain the 'pirates' on here to hear this the more recent pirates may not have the glamour that time bestows but they are pirates.

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/pirate]pi·rate (pī'rĭt)
n.
[list=]One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation.
A ship used for this purpose.[/list][/url]

Software pirates are not pirates on account of not having boats.
Best regards

Goat

--------------------------

"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." - George Bernard Shaw

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:17 pm

what if your pirating software using a boat-home as a base of operations? very useful to carry all your computers and evidence if you just have to get the ship outta where-ever you are.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 pm

I don't know about you kids, but I load up on a junk near a wireless center wearing an eyepatch when I pirate music.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Return to “All Things FSM”