The New Frontier of FSM-Activism

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

gilgamush
Conchigliette Convert

The New Frontier of FSM-Activism

Postby gilgamush » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:40 am

So here's the lowdown. At my high school (Atascadero High School, to be exact), the school board recently gave in to some evangelical group pushing to allow students to skip study hall four times a month to attend church service. HUGE infringement of separation of church and state. These people are being allowed to skip a state function that everyone is required to go to for religious reasons.

So that's the problem... what's the obvious solution? Going to a school board meeting with some friends, dressed as pirates, of course! Me and some friends are going to dress as pirates and go to the next school board meeting. During the public comment period, we're each going to do some preaching on the glory of FSM and how He has commanded us to worship Him during the normal study hall periods. It should be a lot of fun, and very effective. I've ordered a copy of the gospel to wave around, too. Dear FSM I'm gonna have fun with this. I doubt any of those uppity school board geezers have ever had a band of pirates walk into a district office meeting. Just thought I'd share with all my matey brethren how I'm taking FSM to a new political issue, and ask for any suggestions, comments, or accusations of blasphemy (if you are so inclined).

As a side note, how do things get posted on the main page? Just wondering, ya know. New to the site, though been a devout pastafarian for about a year.
"My mind is like a pancake: I flip it, and I flop it, and sometimes I smear butter aaaaaaaaall over it." - My friend Curtis, whilst on Salvia Divinorum.

"It's amazing what a well placed phallus can do" - My homedawg Grant, whilst playing Halo 2.

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:58 am

I'm thinking you have to send your item to Bobby for publication, since all of the main page documents are, apparently, published by him and him alone.

As to the school board thing, you're probably not going to make any progress by advocating the teachings of the FSM. Pastafarianism is not that aggressive of a satire; you'll likely be viewed as trying to disrupt the meeting, and nothing else. If you can't talk sense into people as a standard member of society, I doubt they'll listen to a pirate.

Go for professional help. Tell the ACLU about the infringement.
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

MPTrooper

Postby MPTrooper » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:56 am

Is this church study required for ALL students or just those with a religious bent? If it's the latter, I would ask why you would want to go through all the trouble.

BloodEye
Conchigliette Convert

Postby BloodEye » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:20 am

To each their own, but personally I would probally go for a slightly quiter route. To dress approprately is fine, but remember to show approprate respect for the people who's meeting it is.
Politely inquire if this new policy is inclusive, or exclusive. Which is to ask if other religious groups are allowed similar benfits, or just this one particular group?
Would they be willing to allow you and fellow Pastafinarians to not attend a studyhall in favor of a religious serivce relivant to your own faith?
These students who are missing studyhall in favor of church service, what are their grades like? Could this time be better spent studying? What are your grades like, and could your time be better spent studying?
Would the church be willing to reschedule its services to allow it's members to further their education?

Being loud, disruptive, and shocking has it's place, but I question if this is one of them.
Ecchi Kitty

Jean Bart
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Jean Bart » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:45 pm

gilgamush wrote:It should be a lot of fun, and very effective.

Not sure it would. Oddly enough, although CoFSM has a funny wrapping (pirates, pasta, beer volcanoes, stripper factories), it offers a very good platform for discussing openmindedly religion, philosophy, politics, well... about any human activities. Actions like yours could make CoFSM look disruptive and, even worse... ridiculous! :cry:
Wearing FSM logowear, on the other hand, and debating with Jollyfish address cards (or how you English speaking people call them) with the venganza main page and forums address on them, ready to be handed out, seems a more appropiate thing to do. Less spectacular, I agree... :wink:
"Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition!" (Michael Palin in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Season 2, Episode 2)
"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'eau de là" (Francis Blanche)
"Nu zijn er wel die mij niet mogen, of onverschillig langs mij gaan. Met liefde en met mededogen zie ik die vuile schoften aan! (Drs. P in "Jubelzang")
"Tuez-les tous, Dieu reconnaîtra les siens." (phrase attribuée à Arnaud Amaury, légat du Pape, à l'occasion de la prise de Béziers en 1209)

gilgamush
Conchigliette Convert

Postby gilgamush » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:43 pm

Thank you all very much for your input. I'm thinking I'll still go, in pirate garb, but be very calm and respectful about it all, and have a nice, educated sounding speech. A friend of mine will do the crazy preaching part, anyway-- He's going as a representative of "The Holy Lord Bethos"-- the religion of which he happens to be the messiah.

Anyway, I think taking a reasonable, educated approach is the best. Should be more effective than being excessive about it, and helps keep the good name of FSM.

Thank you all very much for your input.
"My mind is like a pancake: I flip it, and I flop it, and sometimes I smear butter aaaaaaaaall over it." - My friend Curtis, whilst on Salvia Divinorum.

"It's amazing what a well placed phallus can do" - My homedawg Grant, whilst playing Halo 2.

dabeast
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby dabeast » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Skip out on Fridays. They're our holy day after all, tell him you're going to your church.
Image[/URL]
Cyanide & Happiness @

EarthRise
Hox God

Postby EarthRise » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:26 am

An update on this issue, ripped directly from the main FSM site:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/local/16641183.htm
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:38 am

MPTrooper wrote:Is this church study required for ALL students or just those with a religious bent? If it's the latter, I would ask why you would want to go through all the trouble.

unless I'm mistaken, its that if you want to go to church to pray during study hall, you can.

of course, I dont' know if this works for any church, and how much they check on kids reasons for leaving. if study hall was not required, and you could do that or something else, then it's the kids own business to go to church. but if it's required for everyone BUT the christians, then that's certainly unfair.

~Qwerty
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Re: The New Frontier of FSM-Activism

Postby Duke » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:09 pm

gilgamush wrote:So here's the lowdown. At my high school (Atascadero High School, to be exact), the school board recently gave in to some evangelical group pushing to allow students to skip study hall four times a month to attend church service. HUGE infringement of separation of church and state. These people are being allowed to skip a state function that everyone is required to go to for religious reasons.

So that's the problem... what's the obvious solution? Going to a school board meeting with some friends, dressed as pirates, of course! Me and some friends are going to dress as pirates and go to the next school board meeting. During the public comment period, we're each going to do some preaching on the glory of FSM and how He has commanded us to worship Him during the normal study hall periods. It should be a lot of fun, and very effective. I've ordered a copy of the gospel to wave around, too. Dear FSM I'm gonna have fun with this. I doubt any of those uppity school board geezers have ever had a band of pirates walk into a district office meeting. Just thought I'd share with all my matey brethren how I'm taking FSM to a new political issue, and ask for any suggestions, comments, or accusations of blasphemy (if you are so inclined).

As a side note, how do things get posted on the main page? Just wondering, ya know. New to the site, though been a devout pastafarian for about a year.

Or, you could be more subversive. You could get all of the non-evangelicals at your school to dress up as pirates and go to the church instead of study hall. You know, abuse your church-going privileges. It usually gets them taken away. :D :fsm_yarr:

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Return to “All Things FSM”