I like magic numbers!

Submit your scriptural writings for inclusion in the Loose Canon, and your tales of ancient FSM Lore, as well as any other FSM-related writing you may have.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:46 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:It's those study-at-home Deduction lessons he's been getting from Griffin. They'll sharpen you up in a jiffy!

I should check that out...................... Naw, my powers are adequate.

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:12 pm

Dr. Otis Lansa wrote:It's those study-at-home Deduction lessons he's been getting from Griffin.

ex-cuse me?

I believe you've got your "watson-Sherlock" relationship mixed up a bit.

ask him. I'm learning nothing much about Deducing from watson.

but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt, as you haven't been involved with many of the threads which invlove deducing. mainly the Ninja's vs Pirates.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

PragmaticallyWyrd
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby PragmaticallyWyrd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:07 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:or 84 , as it is 42 times two, and has an 8. but 336 is 42 times eight I think 38 was attempting to symbolise the FSM, as 3 is noodles and 8 is meatballs and infinity

I'd say all these are possible candidates.

As long as it has an "8" in it, I'm happy. :fsm_smile:
--
Furry cows moo and decompress.

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:15 pm

While I'm not suggesting that this become the official Pastafarian magic number, I think it's important that some concepts, like infinity, be well-defined. I quote my post from the welcome topic:

I wrote:
kaioshin00 wrote:
Infinity is 47.

O really?

It most certainly is. The Answer is clearly forty-two, and it just so happens that forty-seven is five away from forty-two. And we all know the significance of 5!*

In my completely valid** reasoning, I had considered thirty-seven, but ultimately arrived at the gut-feeling-induced conclusion that infinity was, in fact 47.

*Rhetorical question.
**Specious, actually

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:22 pm

I concur!

and I ought to, seeing as I suggested he come here.

*thinking: yes! now I have him under my control! he does whatever I say like an obident yet somehow animate puppet! bwahahahahahahaaa!!!*

..did I just think that outloud?

no? good.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:28 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
*thinking: yes! now I have him under my control! he does whatever I say like an obident yet somehow animate puppet! bwahahahahahahaaa!!!*

I'm sorry? Is there anything you want me to do?

Dr. Otis Lansa
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Dr. Otis Lansa » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:34 pm

If you're gonna mak text that small, you might as well spell 'obedient' right. I never correct on spelling, unless it's illegible to start with.

:mrgreen:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:27 pm

urgh. its no fun anymore! not now that you know the secret...

but I was just commenting on how alpaca did everything I told him. which is a good thing. becuase I have good ideas.

but not good spelling.

now then, back on topic, and on with the numbers.

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:38 pm

May I ask why infinity is 47?

I mean, everyone knows that infinity is 42. Have you not read the book?

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:47 pm

DUUUUKE! GRAH!!!!

alpaca wrote:It most certainly is. The Answer is clearly forty-two, and it just so happens that forty-seven is five away from forty-two. And we all know the significance of 5!*

In my completely valid** reasoning, I had considered thirty-seven, but ultimately arrived at the gut-feeling-induced conclusion that infinity was, in fact 47.

*Rhetorical question.
**Specious, actually

what part of this do you not understand? or did you foget it existed, as it is not on the same page as your post?

also, infinity is NOT 42. haven't you read the book? the ANSWER to Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42.

42 is NOT infinity, and 42 is NOT the meaning of life!

everything clear?

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:51 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:DUUUUKE! GRAH!!!!

alpaca wrote:It most certainly is. The Answer is clearly forty-two, and it just so happens that forty-seven is five away from forty-two. And we all know the significance of 5!*

*Rhetorical question.
**Specious, actually

what part of this do you not understand? or did you foget it existed, as it is not on the same page as your post?

also, infinity is NOT 42. haven't you read the book? the ANSWER to Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42.

42 is NOT infinity, and 42 is NOT the meaning of life!

everything clear?

But is Life, the Universe, and Everything not infinity? Answer me that!

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:00 pm

Duke wrote:But is Life, the Universe, and Everything not infinity?

yes.

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:13 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
Duke wrote:But is Life, the Universe, and Everything not infinity?

yes.

But it is. Infinity is something, and 42 is everything. How do you like them deductions?

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

Alpaca
Go-To Guy

Postby Alpaca » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:32 pm

But 42 is the answer to everything, not everything itself.

Now, thanks to theoretical math, we know that whatever gets added to infinity, the result is still equal to infinity. That means, we could add everything to infinity, and still have infinity.

Since infinity is obviously 47, we arrive at a shocking conclusion: Everything is 0.

This can lead to some meaningless proverb about everything being nothing, from which we can get all sorts of delightful wisdom.

Duke

Postby Duke » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 pm

Alpaca wrote:But 42 is the answer to everything, not everything itself.

Now, thanks to theoretical math, we know that whatever gets added to infinity, the result is still equal to infinity. That means, we could add everything to infinity, and still have infinity.

Since infinity is obviously 47, we arrive at a shocking conclusion: Everything is 0.

This can lead to some meaningless proverb about everything being nothing, from which we can get all sorts of delightful wisdom.

Oh, goody-goody!!!

Anyway, the answer is 42, and the asnwer is Everything, hence, 42 is everything, including the magic number.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

Return to “Scripture and Lore”