polenta

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

ChowMein
Brewmeister

polenta

Postby ChowMein » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 am

I tried polenta for the first time a few weeks ago . It must be the most insipid bland tasting dish that i could not finish consuming .
I would like to give it another try though . Does anyone have a recipe ?

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Re: polenta

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:43 am

Ummm....

Yoo buys a pakkit off plenta an ye chuks a cup off thee stuff inna pot wiff 0.26417 gallins off boylin wotterrrr .

Yoo has 2 sturrrr rrrrewentlesslee 4 twenny minnits an' den da stuff iss cookt .

Den chopp hup wiff ye cutliss an' chuk it 2 da chooks .

Eet a bole off chips insted , rrrrrrr . :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:55 am

I've had two types of polenta. One which I found disgusting, and the other which I heartily enjoyed.

The type which was similar to cornbread is presentation and texture (if cornbread were much denser and somewhat moister) just had an extremely unpleasant taste. Earthy, singed, going bad.

The other type, which came in a plastic tube, like a sausage but much thicker, was sweeter and more like a patty than a bread. My mother cooked it in the oven, topped with marinara and mozzarella.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:16 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I've had two types of polenta. One which I found disgusting, and the other which I heartily enjoyed.

The type which was similar to cornbread is presentation and texture (if cornbread were much denser and somewhat moister) just had an extremely unpleasant taste. Earthy, singed, going bad.

The other type, which came in a plastic tube, like a sausage but much thicker, was sweeter and more like a patty than a bread. My mother cooked it in the oven, topped with marinara and mozzarella.

Ye can awlwaise likk off the mossella an' marryara an' chuk thee plenta stuff too thee chooks . :welcome:

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:33 am

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:I've had two types of polenta. One which I found disgusting, and the other which I heartily enjoyed.

I am not sure which i have in the fridge , it is in a plastic tube and is very dense , me an me mateys still look at with a combination of fear , loathing ,and discust but i will give it another go , fank ye rev .

edit : oh shite , easy QOOC this one be ... oh well , so be it .

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:15 pm

That's the second kind I was talking about. Much more palatable for my taste buds.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Rev for fowsind an' sumfing plus too .

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:That's the second kind I was talking about. Much more palatable for my taste buds.

Reely an for troo ?
Blaaargh ! Into thee compost then !

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:48 pm

ChowMein wrote:
Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:That's the second kind I was talking about. Much more palatable for my taste buds.

Reely an for troo ?
Blaaargh ! Into thee compost then !

Chikkies ! Do'nt 4get thee chikkies - dey luvs korn . :welcome:

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:59 pm

There are 2 ways to eat polenta - loose (as an alternative to mash potato. rice or pasta), or solid. Like a lot of starchy food (e.g. our favourite, pasta), it's not got a lot of flavour in itself, so it's good as base.

Loose polenta

Basic everyday polenta

150ml milk
½ tsp salt
150g coarse cornmeal
50g butter
25g grated parmesan (optional)

Put the milk in a large, heavy-based pan along with 600ml water and the salt, and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, measure out the cornmeal and put it near the hob.

When the pan comes to the boil, add the cornmeal, letting it run in thin streams through your fingers, whisking continuously. Stir for a minute or two until it thickens.

Turn the heat right down and stir well, roughly every 4-5 minutes to prevent it sticking, for about 35-45 minutes, until the polenta begins to come away from the sides of the pan. Stir in the butter and cheese, if using, then put on a serving dish.

Cheesy polenta (serves 4)

600g/1lb 5oz quick-cook polenta, 250g/9oz fontina cheese (or taleggio), freshly grated, 100g/3½oz parmesan, freshly grated, 100g/3½oz unsalted butter (I sometime add some crushed chilli as well)

Cook the polenta in salted boiling water (approx 5 pints), stirring continuously for 5-6 minutes (take care as the mixture may bubble and spit). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses and butter.

Empty on on a large dish/ board, with a well in the middle. Use this to serve your favourite rich meat stew or ragu, instead of rice/ pasta/ potatoes. Put in the middle of the table and let everyone dig in.

Recipe 2

Soft polenta with mushroom ragoût - recipe from BBC food website. Nice for a quick and easy meal. I sometimes make this using reconstituted dried mushrooms if I can't get a nice mix of fresh ones.

---------------------------------

Solid polenta

Crispy polenta cake (serves 1)

Cook 100g/3½oz polenta according to packet instructions. Pour on to a baking tray lined with greasproof paper and leave to cool, until the polenta becomes a solid block.

Heat some oil in a pan, transfer the polenta block to the pan. Fry on both sides until crisp and golden brown

Whip together 100 ml double cream and 1 tbsp icing sugar until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle polenta with cinnamon, top with cream, then top with fruit (original recipe specified fresh orange segments, but I also like it with cooked apple).

Polenta "fries"

Make the block of polenta as in the recipe above, and leave to cool. Slice into french fry sized strips. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put the fries on this. Sprinkle with lots of parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 mins at220oC/ 425oF/ gas mark 7, turning once. Serve instead of fries, or with a nice dippy sauce (e.g. ketchup)

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:There are 2 ways to eat polenta - loose (as an alternative to mash potato. rice or pasta), or solid. Like a lot of starchy food (e.g. our favourite, pasta), it's not got a lot of flavour in itself, so it's good as base.

Loose polenta

Basic everyday polenta

150ml milk
½ tsp salt
150g coarse cornmeal
50g butter
25g grated parmesan (optional)

Put the milk in a large, heavy-based pan along with 600ml water and the salt, and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, measure out the cornmeal and put it near the hob.

When the pan comes to the boil, add the cornmeal, letting it run in thin streams through your fingers, whisking continuously. Stir for a minute or two until it thickens.

Turn the heat right down and stir well, roughly every 4-5 minutes to prevent it sticking, for about 35-45 minutes, until the polenta begins to come away from the sides of the pan. Stir in the butter and cheese, if using, then put on a serving dish.

Cheesy polenta (serves 4)

600g/1lb 5oz quick-cook polenta, 250g/9oz fontina cheese (or taleggio), freshly grated, 100g/3½oz parmesan, freshly grated, 100g/3½oz unsalted butter (I sometime add some crushed chilli as well)

Cook the polenta in salted boiling water (approx 5 pints), stirring continuously for 5-6 minutes (take care as the mixture may bubble and spit). Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheeses and butter.

Empty on on a large dish/ board, with a well in the middle. Use this to serve your favourite rich meat stew or ragu, instead of rice/ pasta/ potatoes. Put in the middle of the table and let everyone dig in.

Recipe 2

Soft polenta with mushroom ragoût - recipe from BBC food website. Nice for a quick and easy meal. I sometimes make this using reconstituted dried mushrooms if I can't get a nice mix of fresh ones.

---------------------------------

Solid polenta

Crispy polenta cake (serves 1)

Cook 100g/3½oz polenta according to packet instructions. Pour on to a baking tray lined with greasproof paper and leave to cool, until the polenta becomes a solid block.

Heat some oil in a pan, transfer the polenta block to the pan. Fry on both sides until crisp and golden brown

Whip together 100 ml double cream and 1 tbsp icing sugar until stiff peaks form.

Sprinkle polenta with cinnamon, top with cream, then top with fruit (original recipe specified fresh orange segments, but I also like it with cooked apple).

Polenta "fries"

Make the block of polenta as in the recipe above, and leave to cool. Slice into french fry sized strips. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put the fries on this. Sprinkle with lots of parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 30 mins at220oC/ 425oF/ gas mark 7, turning once. Serve instead of fries, or with a nice dippy sauce (e.g. ketchup)

CF

Ooooooo them sownds loike a try , i'll see if the blob is still in thee compost heep .

Return to “Food”