What are you DRINKNG right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Re: What are you DRINKNG right now?

Postby Monobaz » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:46 am

I was wondering Roving Punster if you ever made sparkling wines. I once came across a riesling that continued to ferment in the bottle - it didn't win any awards for its good looks but it sure tasted mighty fine. I guess that is similar to how Prosecco came about too. Like Yahoo Serious, some of us consider a good drop must have bubbles in it. Do you think it would be difficult to emulate the "failed" sparkling riesling?
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:04 am

ummm....

ye ken poot fizzy stuf inna wotterrr annit tayst reel gude , rrrrr . :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:46 am

Monobaz wrote:I was wondering Roving Punster if you ever made sparkling wines. I once came across a riesling that continued to ferment in the bottle - it didn't win any awards for its good looks but it sure tasted mighty fine. I guess that is similar to how Prosecco came about too. Like Yahoo Serious, some of us consider a good drop must have bubbles in it. Do you think it would be difficult to emulate the "failed" sparkling riesling?

I've made plenty of naturally carbonated ale, but wine is a different beast when it comes to natural carbonation, because unlike beer all of the sugars present are fermentable and the yeast will naturally want to go to it's attenuation limit (read: they'll eat sugar until they run out of food or the alcohol levels exceed their tolerance, or your takes steps to intervene, whichever comes first). Attenuation limits are also not 100% reliable, so controlling residual sweetness is not as simple as just picking a yeast strain that will leave the desired amount of residual sweetness for a given starting point of sugar. The net result is that naturally carbonating wines is easy provided you dont mind them going bone dry, but if you want to retain some residual sweetness you either have to guess where the yeast will stop (and risk exploding bottles if you overshoot), or use method champonois and dosage (which is a royal PITA for most homebrewers), or simply ferment it dry and dosage it and then give it a stabilizer (or sterile filter it) and then FORCE CARBONATE it.

The bottom line is that naturally carbonating homemade beer is easy, but doing the same with a non-dry wine requires time skill technique and risk of breakage, which is why most experienced homebrewers force carbonate their sparkling wines. For anyone who's ever ever attempted homemade ginger beer this lesson is ingrained in both mind and one's walls and carpet.

FOOTNOTE: back in the early days, before indoor temperature controls much less glycol jackets existed, fermentation tended to slow down and stop during the winter, sometimes before dryness, and if you bottle before the weather warmed enough for activity to possibly resume, the result is exploding bottles ... or a gentle fruisse, if the activity is mild. I assume that's what you're referring to by a naturally failed sparkler ?
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Professional winemakers have LOTS more tools than homebrewers when it comes to winemaking, because you can do things like precisely stop a fermentation exactly where/when you want to with things like thermal shocking, sterile filtration, centrifugal yeast removal, yadda yadda. Homebrewers cant do that nearly as easily.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:37 pm

Looks like I'm in store for a lot of trial and error... So i'll be gettin' a bottle of wine and some beer just in case the bottle turns out to be shite. :drinking: Also, might make my girlfriend take an interest in wine so I can just stick to suds because HOLY CRAP there is a lot to know........

Thanks for all the info, a lot to mull over, but all greatly appreciated. :drinking:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:42 pm

It's not as hard as you think, and can be fun. Most women enjoy, for example, being asked that their taste preferences are in wine. When in doubt, an inexpensive cava or proseco is nearly always a fairly safe popular bet, and goes with almost everything for only $11-16/btl, USD.

I can refine suggestions further based on age/gender mix, cuisine, price range, wine experience, etc. I've run my share of tastings over the years, so this is familiar turf, even though I'm about 5 years out of practice.

It helps me stave off boredom, and boredom is the enemy these days.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Diet coke. Soon it will be Stella :drinking:

MourningStar wrote:Thanks for all the info, a lot to mull over, but all greatly appreciated. :drinking:

There was a very good program a few years ago called Oz and James' Big Wine Adventure. Oz Clarke (apparently a famous wine tester) and James May (bloke off Top Gear who knows nothing about wine) went round France and California testing different wines and explaining stuff about them. I personally will drink wine but only if it's free and there's no beer left but found the series quite interesting. It's probably available somewhere on the internet.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Guinness Draft, in a 1/5L hefty glass stein.

I've got a pair of full yard glass (and a half dozen half-yards) in my garage loft collecting dust ... trust me that you have NEVER seen a truly amazing Guinness nitro-cascade until you've seen 3 pints dumped all at once into a full size yard, and churn like the event horizon of a black hole. I actually tried to film it once about 10 years ago, but cell phone camera tech at the time just wasn't up to snuff.

You need to see it live, or in 4k with professional lighting, to really appreciate it. I haven't looked, but I'm sure someone must have had similar thoughts and posted something to youtube, and beat me to the punch.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:10 pm

daftbeaker wrote:There was a very good program a few years ago called Oz and James' Big Wine Adventure. Oz Clarke (apparently a famous wine tester) and James May (bloke off Top Gear who knows nothing about wine) went round France and California testing different wines and explaining stuff about them... It's probably available somewhere on the internet.

I'll have to check into that. Seems like the show for me, an expert taking around a layman, showing him what the hell all this wine business is about... lol

daftbeaker wrote:...I personally will drink wine but only if it's free and there's no beer left ...

Those are my thoughts exactly, but I figured I might as well diversify. Plus I've had a couple really good white wines before. Might want to learn why, or which ones they were. Or were they good because I had all that beer in me... ? We'll never know. :drinking:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Roving Punster wrote: ... trust me that you have NEVER seen a truly amazing Guinness nitro-cascade until you've seen 3 pints dumped all at once into a full size yard, and churn like the event horizon of a black hole. I actually tried to film it once about 10 years ago, but cell phone camera tech at the time just wasn't up to snuff.

You need to see it live, or in 4k with professional lighting, to really appreciate it. I haven't looked, but I'm sure someone must have had similar thoughts and posted something to youtube, and beat me to the punch.

Should properly be recorded as a holograph in a minimum of six dimensions.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:14 pm

Plus I've had a couple really good white wines before. Might want to learn why, or which ones they were. Or were they good because I had all that beer in me... ? We'll never know.

Back when I was still homebrewing and able to regularly enjoy alcohol, I used to keep tasting notes ... you know those cheap little spiral bound flip pads you get in a stationary store that fit in your pocket ? Those. Anytime I tasted something really good, I wrote down the name, where I got it and for how much, and some minimal tasting notes. Kept one in my car at all times, and kept a small box in one of my filing cabinets to hold the flipbooks as they filled up, along with the notes from wine tastings. It's a good habit and costs little to record the occasional mind-blowing experience like that, with just a few short scribbles, and it pays for itself to be able to revist earlier faves and be just as blown away. I dont do it anymore for beverages, because I cant drink very much these days, but I still take notes for cooking whenever I taste a great dish and want to replicate it.

I still remember one of the first wines I wrote down, from before I'd taking up homebrewing ... it was right after a private party I'd bartended (aside: I was single and moonlighting at night at the time, trying to save up for a house) ... the hosting couple were big fans of a particular champagne, and had me pour two cases of it during the party. From memory, it was a non-vintage Veuve Cliquot (mustard colored label) ... it blew me away at the time, and became a favorite for many years, and I eventually served it at my own wedding reception. Can't afford it anymore, but it was a timely lesson in the impact that writing things down can have.

So, whenever you have something really really good ... WRITE IT DOWN. :welcome:

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 pm

Hot Buttered Rum (my version)

8 fl oz Hot Water
4 tsp Dark Brown Sugar
tiny pinch Salt
1 sm pat Sweet Butter (omit pinch of salt if using salted butter)
1 sm Cinnamon Stick
1 fl oz Dark Rum (ex: I like Gosling Black Seal, but Meyers will do)

The tiny bit of salt really makes the drink ... it balances the sweet, enhances the cinnamon and ties all other flavors together.

I used to make large press pots of this for the holiday parties of my old fraternal society ... very popular.

Here's the 2.5L press pot version:

5 pts Hot Water
¾ cup (175 gr) Dark Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Med Kosher Salt

Garnish each serving:
1 sliver Cold Butter
1 sm Cinnamon Stick
1 fl oz Dark Rum

p.s. Oh, and since this is a rum dish ... YAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH !!

p.p.s. If you dont have rum handy, replace the rum and sugar with diluted unfiltered apple cider, and increase the salt slightly ... almost as good.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:46 pm

Yum, that sounds delicious :drinking:

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:13 pm

We make a rum and coffee liqueur a bit like Kahlua but not as sugary / syrupy.

Take 1l of espresso (about 20 double shots).
Heat with150 - 200g of cane sugar, or palm sugar if you have it.
Split 1l of dark rum between 2x1l bottles. Allow the coffee to cool.
Add half the coffee to each bottle. Add about 20 coffee beans and a vanilla pod per bottle.
Cap, shake, refrigerate for at least a month.

I use it for coffee martinis. If you like a dirty martini, use it as is. If not, strain it through coffee filter paper before use.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:04 pm

Diet Dr. Pepper........... but believe you me, before this night is through, some spirits will be imbibed :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:

Return to “Food”