What are you DRINKNG right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: What are you DRINKNG right now?

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:25 pm

Not any more but I was drinking Buckfast at christmas. For tramp rocket fuel it's surprisingly drinkable but might explain why I was awake until 4:30am.

Now it's Hobgoblin.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:42 pm

For true Weegie credentials, you must refer to Buckfast as 'The wine'. Not 'wine', 'The wine'.

I used to work in Oddbins in Hell's-bog-horror, just up the coast from Faslane nuclear submarine base. It's a posh town with footballers and such like. Jazz singer Annie Ross came from Helensburgh, as did TV inventor John Logie Baird and steamship builder Henry Bell. Oddbins got through Tattinger, Bollinger and Krug by the dozens of cases.

Occasionally a sportswear-clad member of the non-landed gentry would pop in and ask, "Sell wine?"
"Yes. It's a wine shop, we sell wine. Would you like a Beaujolais? A Viognier? Semillon-Chardonnay?"
"Dae ye sell THE wine?"
"No. Tesco, three doors up."
"Sound."

I have a friend who is a former police sergeant (former after being stabbed in the neck whilst on duty in Govan), and he and his colleagues hate Buckfast with a vengeance. An ordinary drunk will fall asleep within two hours of being arrested and stuck in a cell. A Buckfast drunk will rant and rave all night long, and will still be ranting and raving when they are put in the van for the Sheriff Court in the morning.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:51 pm

MtDew KickStart... Orange. BECAUSE I NEED THE CAFFEINE MAN! :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:For true Weegie credentials, you must refer to Buckfast as 'The wine'. Not 'wine', 'The wine'.

I used to work in Oddbins in Hell's-bog-horror, just up the coast from Faslane nuclear submarine base. It's a posh town with footballers and such like. Jazz singer Annie Ross came from Helensburgh, as did TV inventor John Logie Baird and steamship builder Henry Bell. Oddbins got through Tattinger, Bollinger and Krug by the dozens of cases.

Occasionally a sportswear-clad member of the non-landed gentry would pop in and ask, "Sell wine?"
"Yes. It's a wine shop, we sell wine. Would you like a Beaujolais? A Viognier? Semillon-Chardonnay?"
"Dae ye sell THE wine?"
"No. Tesco, three doors up."
"Sound."

I have a friend who is a former police sergeant (former after being stabbed in the neck whilst on duty in Govan), and he and his colleagues hate Buckfast with a vengeance. An ordinary drunk will fall asleep within two hours of being arrested and stuck in a cell. A Buckfast drunk will rant and rave all night long, and will still be ranting and raving when they are put in the van for the Sheriff Court in the morning.

On this side of the pond, that sort of thing is called 'bum wine', because it's mostly drunk by hard up bums & hobos. The two most common brands over here are Night Train and Thunderbird. To be perfectly honest, Buckfast sounds more slightly appealing than either ... not that makes any sense to mix an upper (caffine) with a downer (alcohol).
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:03 pm

It's not open yet, but I grabbed a bottle of Veuve Cliquot NV for later ... a bit pricey, but the wifey was very pleased.

For the rest of the year, I usually stick with less expensive sparklers like Astoria Proseco or Magners Sparkling Irish Pear Cider, costing about 1/4 as much.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Roving Punster wrote:It's not open yet, but I grabbed a bottle of Veuve Cliquot NV for later ... a bit pricey, but the wifey was very pleased.

For the rest of the year, I usually stick with less expensive sparklers like Astoria Proseco or Magners Sparkling Irish Pear Cider, costing about 1/4 as much.

We'll be avoiding Champagne later, when it's New Year in the *Important* part of the World (ie the Greenwich Meridian). We'll be having a bottle of Green Point, made by Möet et Chandon using the méthode champenoise, but in the Yarra Valley just outside Melbourne.

Right now I'm having an old-fashioned Gin and Tonic - Bombay Sapphire (as it's a special occasion), dash of bitters, a (very) small lump of molasses sugar, tonic water, ice and lime. In a frozen glass, natch...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:53 pm

Warm brown liquid with white froth on top.

I do have a half bottle of Grant's in case I get bored later though :drinking:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Roving Punster wrote:On this side of the pond, that sort of thing is called 'bum wine', because it's mostly drunk by hard up bums & hobos. The two most common brands over here are Night Train and Thunderbird. To be perfectly honest, Buckfast sounds more slightly appealing than either ... not that makes any sense to mix an upper (caffine) with a downer (alcohol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHGqyGBeys

I like the bridge best. There's a live version on their MP3-download-only live album, "Almanac: Live 2004". It's one of my favorite albums of all time, but I don't know if it's available anymore. It's from the era of "The Spine" and "No!" so you get a lot of songs from those albums, but the music is SO MUCH FUN! I listened to it again yesterday, for the first time in ages. It made me feel so good, even though the non-"No!" lyrics are often kind of morbid and/or depressing. ("No!" is a children's album. TMBG writes their children's music the same way they write their adult music, just with more child-friendly lyrics, so nobody complains when they play children's music at adult concerts.)

I'm drinking water as usual but I'm considering going to the convenience store and getting some root beer. I think I will.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:47 am

Cream soda , i am going to get some more .

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:58 am

Yum, cream soda! I'm drinking El Presidente Brandy.... lol. Mixed with some Coke. Lovin' that sugar on sugar. I'm sure my pancreas is telling me to f off though. :whip:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:11 am

The blood of my enemies, the sweat of their labors, and the tears of their women.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:05 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The blood of my enemies, the sweat of their labors, and the tears of their women.

And a happy new year to you too.

Beware the Ides of June!

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Homemade soymilk.

I've always been the curious DIY sort, and I've had a package of dried soybeans staring daggers at me for several weeks now. It was surprisingly easy ... soak overnight in triple volume of water, drain, then puree in stages in a blender for 60 sec (1 part drained beans to 3 parts cold tap water), then bring the puree to a simmer (being careful to avoid a boilover), simmer and stir for 10 mins to set the proteins (what brewers call the 'hot break') and gelatinize the starches ... then you just pour though buttercloth and squeeze/discard the solids, and poof ... homemade soymilk. The 9 oz of dried beans yeilded a little under 2 qts of soy milk, which I lightly sweetened with 2 fl oz of simple syrup and 1/8th tsp of vanilla extract.

As soon as read up on the correct coagulants, I'll give tofu making a whirl ... I've made paneer before, so it should be just as easy.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 am

Diet Dr Pepper!

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Although tasty, and fun/inexpensive to make, the soymilk is just not quite as satisfying as milk ... and it doesn't go with cookies.

Return to “Food”