Going organic

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Going organic

Postby ItchyPirate » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:37 pm

We've decided to go pure organic for our foods here (we've heard it's worked wanders for our friends and family), but as a Pastafarian, this presents me with a bit of a problem: I've never been able to find organic pasta, pasta sauce, or ramen. Obviously these are essentials for any Pastafarian. Does anyone know of any stores that sell these in the north-eastern U.S.?
The Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Re: Going organic

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:46 pm

No reason why you can't make your own if you can find organic flour or organic semolina (I personally favour semolina as it gives the pasta a rougher texture, which holds sauce better, but a mixture of both).

I tend to make a big batch every once in a while, portion it up and freeze it. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take very long (although odds are you'll have a couple of bad batches before you get it to your liking)

Try this site for recipe: http://www.pasta-recipes-by-italians.com/how-to-make-pasta.html

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 pm

Yup , i mayded a few bad baches 2 . i fink tha salmonella flowerrr woz sqwiffy , rrrr .
:welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:23 pm

I've been thinking of making my own. Unfortunately, the kitchen is enough of a mess without Sloppy Itchy tossing around flour :blush: (the house's renovations are in "suspended animation" until we can scrape together some cash)

Thanks for the suggestion, but for the time being, it's a no go until we can get things organized.
The Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 am

No problemo Isshy ,

Fankye ,ye well cum .

NYBB :lurk:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

PirateHelloKitty
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby PirateHelloKitty » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:25 am

Try sprouting some of your own food. I bought this contraption from an ethnic store. It cost about $20. It is three clear plastic trays that nest on each other. There is a drain hole in the bottom of each. It also has a lid and a bottom to catch the water. I tried lentils which I did not like raw but were ok cooked. The best were mung beans which I can eat raw or cooked. These do not grow as large as the commercially produced ones but they are tasty.

Some people use a contraption that is a canning jar with the lid insert replaced with plastic mesh. I have used it for sprouting but you have to harvest before the sprouts get too tight inside.

Use a small amount of seeds or beans in the sprouter. It needs to be attended to changing the water once every 12 hrs. Usually you can get some directions on the internet.

To prevent mold I use a few drops of diluted food grade hydrogen peroxide solution in the sprout water. If you buy hydrogen peroxide then check the label for the concentration. You have to usually dilute it from 30% to 6% or 3%. Full strength it will burn your skin. This works really well to prevent mold but you have to find food grade peroxide because the other types have additives that are not for ingestion.

Return to “Food”