Rice conghee

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

PirateHelloKitty
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Rice conghee

Postby PirateHelloKitty » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:56 am

I made a big pot of rice and chicken conghee chock full of green onions, garlic and fresh ginger slices, yum. I am still enjoying it. Next I will try adding some fish and shrimp to it. The ginger was not sliced thinly enough so I might use some jarred ginger paste next time. I used a crockpot and slightly overcooked it since it was sticking and brown on the bottom,

I am wondering if there is a pasta version of conghee. I think noodle soup for breakfast is the most wonderful meal. Vegetables can even be added. Are we all thinking we need to add more vegetables in our diet.

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Re: Rice conghee

Postby ChowMein » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:03 pm

I've been making congee ( rice gruel ) continuously for my brother who is dying slowly in the worst possible way .
The dysphagia makes it difficult for him to speak and swallow food or drink.
Liquids must be thickened with a commercial thickening agent ( likely starches , gelatin , or perhaps pectin ).

Congee is easy for him to comsume .
It used to take me hours to cook the day old rice to the proper consistancy , and i found that basmati doesn't work well nor par-boiled rice .

I sliver the ginger or put in large chunks into the pot to remove later .

I recently acquired a wee blender type thingee in which i now place the rice ( day old or just steamed ) , and water / broth / stock into the container and blended the stuff , then placing the porridge into pot to simmer with whatever was left over from dinner .
The congee is basically ready in five minutes .

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Hugs to you about your brother. It can't be easy taking care of someone like that. He's fortunate to have family like you

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

PirateHelloKitty
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby PirateHelloKitty » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:35 am

Too bad about your brother. Sad to hear about suffering. The blender is a good idea. We were doing such a thing for granny. She really did like pudding cups. The rest of the family was scolding her for not eating her mush meals and in the end I was running over to the store to buy pudding and telling them just to let her eat pudding if that was making her happy. So what makes your brother happy or al least somehwat more comfortable, try to do it.

I think just about anything can be added to conghee. The ginger root is beneficial. So is garlic. There are many herbs that are good too.

I used thai jasmine rice which is long grain. I used one cup of uncooked rice and ten cups of water. Cooked in the crockpot on high for 4 hrs and then the programme switched to keep warm for a few more hours. It was overcooked (brown parts on the bottom) by the time I came home from work. I had added raw partly frozen chicken as well which cooked up fine. It probably needed to be stirred at some point but it did not get it.

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:52 pm

I have noticed the restaurants serving the stuff with egg whites stirred in .
It's good .

Return to “Food”