Demons? Discuss.

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Demons? Discuss.

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm

GMOs, or Genetically Modified Organisms (usually food) were discovered quite a few years ago. Since then, they have been called everything from the Antichrist to "Frankenstein Foods". I will now show that people who hate GMOs want children to starve.

The entire IDEA behind inventing GMOs was to make it easier to grow more food faster, and thus feed more people.
You know those children in Africa? Where do you think some of the first GMOs went?
They went to Africa, and now Africa's children aren't starving in numbers as large as they used to be. The situation has improved by almost 10%. Considering that, GMOs definitely aren't demons, not in my opinionion (yes, opinionion).

Discuss.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: Demons? Discuss.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Discus.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:11 pm

Et tha discus feef rrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Not sure the 1st place GMOs went was Africa, but certainly they have the potential to improve agriculture.

As well as the GMOs in use around the world, which do anything from reducing pesticide use (Bt cotton, brinjal etc) to minimising food waste by stopping browning (Arctic apples), there are ones being developed in universities to help beat the worst effects of climate change, by making crops that are heat resistant, drought resistant, salt tolerant, etc

It's sad that 30 years after they were first introduced, we still have to deal with the same nonsense about "Frankenfoods", and all the long debunked myths that keep getting recirculated.

I think the reduction in poverty in Africa has not much to do with GMOs, and more to do with initiatives like debt relief, poverty relief, and investment in businesses.

I would like the anti-GM lobby to at least get over themselves about Golden Rice and Golden bananas. It has the potential to help in the fight against chronic malnutrition (it's not a magic bullet, but it's a useful addition to the arsenal), but rich Westerners with no worries about severe vitamin A deficiencies have been doing their best to prevent it's adoption, which to my mind is criminal bordering on genocidal

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:Not sure the 1st place GMOs went was Africa, but certainly they have the potential to improve agriculture.

Not necessarily the first, but very shortly after they were invented, people started investing in them being sent over. In fact, the guy who invented them stated that as one of its primary uses (ending world hunger), but he shut his mouth once the whole, "Men weren't meant to play God" thing started.
Ever heard of the "give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime?"
It's like that, and also like the "donating goats rather than nickels" idea.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Discus.

Clever.

Cardinal Fang wrote:It's sad that 30 years after they were first introduced, we still have to deal with the same nonsense about "Frankenfoods", and all the long debunked myths that keep getting recirculated.

Yes, it's so sad that a bunch of lazy ******** can ruin it by refusing to do the slightest bit of research on a topic. They might as well be environmentalists. You know, the same environmentalists who gave over 5,000 signatures in under 8 hours to petition a ban on dihydrogen monoxide, one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man. For more information, visit the official website: DHMO.org.

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:They might as well be environmentalists. You know, the same environmentalists who gave over 5,000 signatures in under 8 hours to petition a ban on dihydrogen monoxide, one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man. For more information, visit the official website: DHMO.org.

That is a mischaracterization, and I hope you know it. You are referring to a subset of lower-case environmentalists known as "idiots." You can find this subset in any group, and it will always contain more members than you think it will contain, even if you account for that underestimation in your estimation. This is the First Basic Law of Human Stupidity.

Environmentalists (the non-stupid ones) are performing essential work worldwide. They are not the demons the RW pretends they are, and in general they are far better educated than most of the population (after application of the idiot filter to both groups).
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:29 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Environmentalists (the non-stupid ones) are performing essential work worldwide. They are not the demons the RW pretends they are, and in general they are far better educated than most of the population (after application of the idiot filter to both groups).

Maybe a slightly more parsimonious stroke of the razor might say that educated people who question the nature of nature end up becoming environmentalists? There is a stubbornness associated with some people, both left-wing, right-wing, or indeed indifferent, that makes them resistant to change, adaptation, new ideas, and therefore education.

People who embrace education adapt their lives and worldviews accordingly. People who are resistant to it just stay the same regardless. Environmentalism is a natural response to knowing about the current state of the climate. Some people just refuse to accept that despite the overwhelming body of supporting evidence. However, as we know, science doesn't care if you believe in it or not, it still works just the same.

FurstyWossname wrote:You know, the same environmentalists who gave over 5,000 signatures in under 8 hours to petition a ban on dihydrogen monoxide, one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man.
You have a painfully literal interpretation of things sometimes. Anyway, dihydrogen monoxide is really dangerous. Traces of it can be found in every dead organism on the planet. Every. Single. One.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:43 pm

And did you know that dihydrogen monoxide is present at EACH and EVERY school shȯȯting?

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Environmentalists (the non-stupid ones) are performing essential work worldwide. They are not the demons the RW pretends they are, and in general they are far better educated than most of the population (after application of the idiot filter to both groups).

To be fair, I could say that about just about any group of people.
If I may quote P. J. Plauger:
P. J. Plauger wrote:My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared.

Apparently, almost every American is an expert on Donald Trump.
*ba-dum, crash!*
I'm not saying they're all incompetent, I'm just saying that at least less than 50% of them are really scared.
This petition was taken at an environmentalists' march, people selected at random as they walked by, and not one of them questioned it.
I'm also saying that they really need a better method than marching to save the environment.

Roy Hunter wrote:
FurstyWossname wrote:You know, the same environmentalists who gave over 5,000 signatures in under 8 hours to petition a ban on dihydrogen monoxide, one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man.
You have a painfully literal interpretation of things sometimes.

That just means I'm well-read :lol: .
And yes, I do. Probably because I try to have as little bias as possible. Living under a rock helps with that.

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:49 am

The thing about the whole DHMO nonsense that drives me crazy is the complete swing-and-miss of the name itself. There is no such thing as dihydrogen monoxide. It's hydrogen hydroxide. Look at the molecule, for FSM's sake.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Cardinal Fang
Lord of Linguini

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:04 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The thing about the whole DHMO nonsense that drives me crazy is the complete swing-and-miss of the name itself. There is no such thing as dihydrogen monoxide. It's hydrogen hydroxide. Look at the molecule, for FSM's sake.

Hydrohydroic acid surely?

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:19 pm

But the molecule-that-shall-not-be-named needs a name of some sort. We can't use the real one, it might hear! :shocked:
So we use dihydrogen monoxide.

And did you know that sodium hydroxide (commonly used in bars of soap), when measured on the pH scale (which is used to measure acidity), has a number higher than hydrochloric acid???
Yep, it's that acidic! And you're rubbing it ALL OVER YOURSELF!!!

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:36 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:...................
And did you know that sodium hydroxide (commonly used in bars of soap), when measured on the pH scale (which is used to measure acidity), has a number higher than hydrochloric acid???
Yep, it's that acidic!..........................

Dud ye noe dat u high pH nummer meens tha stuff is basic , um , kinda like tha opposit of acidic ?
Fankye , ye wellcum ! :welcome:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 am

And also, have you ever swum (swam?) in the ocean?

That saltwater thanks to all the various molecules in it, has a pH that's ALSO higher than hydrochloric acid???
That's way up there! :shocked:

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm

The pH of a photon is 1 and 2.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:51 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:The pH of a photon is 1 and 2.

:confused: I'm confused. Are you sure that's not Schrodinger's cat you're thinking of? What are you referring to?

Return to “Food”