What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Instant ramen noodles with oriental flavoring, chicken egg, Grape Nuts, lime juice, Tabasco sauce, and Italian seasoning.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Cardinal Fang wrote:I adore proper salt beef.

CF

As do I, friend, which is why I've got an unopened cryovac of raw corned beef sitting in the bottom of my fridge, awaiting a leisurly bath in the slow cooker sometime later this week. Just a little friendly cross pond teasing. ;-)
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:08 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Instant ramen noodles with oriental flavoring, chicken egg, Grape Nuts, lime juice, Tabasco sauce, and Italian seasoning.

I've never tried grape nuts as a supplemental thickener/starch. My usual go to choices are crushed nabisco saltines, unflavored panko bread crumbs, or (added with the ramen noodles) israeli (large) cous cous.

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:01 am

Roving Punster wrote:
Cardinal Fang wrote:I adore proper salt beef.

CF

As do I, friend, which is why I've got an unopened cryovac of raw corned beef sitting in the bottom of my fridge, awaiting a leisurly bath in the slow cooker sometime later this week. Just a little friendly cross pond teasing. ;-)

It ain't teasing, it's true - salt beef is a massive thing in various places in the UK that have a Jewish history (for centuries, the UK was one of the few countries in Europe where Jews could live openly and unmolested - the earliest Jewish communities date back to the reign of Henry II (1133-1189), but salt beef came with Eastern European Jews fleeing pogroms in the 18th and 19th centuries, along with the British national dish of fish and chips). But outside of Jewish communities, it's not very common to see it.

BBQ is very much a US thing, because the early settlers were taught to do it by the Native Americans, so it's unusual to see it in the UK - and even more unusual to find American style BBQ done well.

If you're ever in the Jewish areas of Manchester, or many places in the East End of London, you will get the most amazing Salt Beef (although my favourite place to get it is just off Leicester Square in London).

(I also aught to mention that what is called Salt Beef in the UK is often called corned beef in the US (probably because in the UK "corned beef" is associated with the tinned stuff) - because I know there's a bit of confusion about the differences especially amongst UK peeps).

You also won't find corned beef on the menus of Irish places in the UK, because "corned beef and cabbage" is an American Irish thing more than a proper Irish thing.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:44 am

It ain't teasing, it's true.

I didn't say it wasnt true ... Teasing, by definition, spotlights truth in a playful way.

Regardless, I'm with you 100%. My wife is Irish (or rather, Irish American on both sides) ... she tolerates corned beef, but doesn't really yearn for it like I do. Over here, Corned Beef is usually only considered "Irish" on St. Patrick's Day (and always in conjunction with Potatoes & Cabbage and pints of Guinness) - the rest of the year Corned Beef & Hot Pastrami (usually in conjunction with Rye Bread & Mustard) is universally considered Jewish Delicatessen. Brisket, if not preceeded by the word "BBQ", refers by default to slow braising in beef broth with lots of browned onions ... and in Texas it refers exclusively to BBQ.

For the benefit of onlookers, although they're chiefly associated with specific cuts, Corned Beef & Pastrami (CB&P) are more accurately considered process names, both intended for preserving and tenderizing the toughest cuts of Beef with lots of connective tissue. Corned Beef, usually considered to refer to Brisket by default) is cured in a spiced salt brine (mostly mustard & coriander seed) for a minimum of a week (but usually several months) before being braised until fork tender. Pastrami, usually considered to refer to Plate first and Brisket second, starts with the same brine, but is braised less long, then they give it a heavy spice rub (heavy on black pepper), smoke it, and then finish it by steaming it til tender (because if you boil it you lose the spice rub). I've got not one but three places within a 30 min drive of my house that specialize in CB&P, and if I take a 40+ min train ride to NYC, the number of CB&P meccas rises beyond easy counting (Katz's Deli being a famous example).

Bottom line: salt beef is big over here too - we just use different names for it.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:21 pm

The Grape Nuts were in there because I didn't have enough for a bowl of it and I figured they'd add a bit of nutrition and fiber.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Cardinal Fang
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Christmas dinner - turkey, pigs in blankets, roast tatties, xmas pudding - the whole nine yards

Friend of mine has just returned from 9 months building toilets and clean water facilities in refugee camps in Syria, Turkey, and Jordan. As Xmas day was another working day for him, and people in the camps have nothing, he didn't want to rub it in. So now he's home, there's a big shin dig.

Going to go and have a sleep now.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm

Major respect to/for your friend, for being a good samaritan.

Lunch today: I doctored up a package of instant ramen with sauteed thinly shaved onions & celery (celery is very underrated), a little garlic & cayenne, a handful of frozen peeled 51/60 shrimp, and a beaten raw egg.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:08 pm

Love me some celery. Especially when diced or cut super thin. Good way to inject fiber and flavor into anything. I think it's time for me to make some cottage pie again.

Ground beef, peas, mirepoix, starchy potatoes, garlic, beef stock, wee bit o' corn starch ( for thickening ). Some thyme, a dash of rosemary, salt, and pepper. slap it all together, top with mashed potatoes... sprinkle of paprika on top. Let it brown up. Damn delicious. :drinking:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:19 am

Quick aside on celery for the benefit of onlookers ... for raw applications involving anything other than thin slice or small dice, it's best to de-string full size stalks of celery. A few light strokes along the backside of a rib will usually remove them. You can also slip a paring knife into the lip of a stalk and peel gently backwards to remove them (before slicing off the lip to finish), but that takes a little practice.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Curried shrimp over rice.

I have a recipe for homemade curry powder, if anyone wants it. I reverse engineered a version some years ago.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 am

Roving Punster wrote:Curried shrimp over rice.

I have a recipe for homemade curry powder, if anyone wants it. I reverse engineered a version some years ago.

fyer aweigh
rrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:fyer aweigh
rrrrrrr

Yeah, fire away. I've been wanting a to make curry in one form or another for some time now.

:haha:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:
Roving Punster wrote:Curried shrimp over rice.

fyer aweigh
rrrrrrr

Just to disambiguate, this is for what most home cooks here in the USA refer to as "curry powder". Other countries have different names for it. In any case, this is my version of McCormick Curry Powder. Other versions exist on the web, but this one is mine.

Yield: Roughly 10 tsp (about 2/3rds of a standard spice rack bottle)

Qty Ingredient
2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
2 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
5-10 Curry Leaves, dried {NOTE: If you lack curry leaves, substitute 1-2 bay leaves.}
1 tsp Paprika, ground
1 tsp Turmeric, ground
1 tsp Garam Masala, ground
¾ tsp Besan Flour (alt: hulled dried urd dhal, ground)
¾ tsp Garlic, powder
1/8 tsp Ginger, powder
1/8 tsp Dry Mustard (yellow), ground
1/8 tsp, ea Black Pepper & Cayenne Pepper, ground
1/8 tsp Asafoetida, ground

Directions:
1. Dry toast (over low-med heat), cool & set aside whole seeds in spice mill.
2. Combine all ingredients in spice mill, and grind until very fine.

Some recipe comments, in no particular order:

* The fenugreek provides a faint but important important backnote of banana/maple - it's the backbone that all the other spices build off of, so do not omit or substitute for it, or the recipe will not work.
* Bay leaves will work, but curry leaves are more authentically southern indian and give a better flavor.
* If you dont have (or want to buy a bag of) besan flour, the purpose here is more of an anti-caking agent rather than flavor, so feel free to grind a little rice or dhal (if you have some) in a spice mill as a substitute.
* Asafoetida adds a faint musky backnote that rounds out the flavor, but if it's not something you keep on hand it can be omitted.

Style wise, the origins behind this style of curry powder are actually English (who in turn adapted it from Southern Indian masala blends, of which sambar is a close cousin), and neatly exemplifies the British love of sauces and gravies (curry powder is usually mixed with equal parts flour, and then cooked into melted butter to form a quick roux ... to which diluted milk is then added to make a curry sauce.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

Here's my recipe for curried shrimp:

Entrée for 3, served over plain cooked white rice.

Qty Ingredients
1 lb Shrimp, raw, shelled & deveined (butterfly if too large)
1 tbsp (14 gr) Butter, sweet
-----
2 tbsp (28 gr) Butter, sweet
¼ cup Scallions Whites and/or Shallots, minced fine
1 tbsp Flour, all purpose
1 tbsp Curry Powder (aka “English” or “Supermarket” curry powder)
½ tsp Salt
-----
½ cup Chicken Broth
½ cup Milk
-----
½ cup Optional: Tomato, diced

Directions:
1) PAN: Preheat a 10-12” non-stick skillet.
2) SHRIMP: In all reality, any size of peeled and deveined raw shrimp will do. If they’re small or medium, leave em whole. If they’re extra large, butterfly them so they curl into spirals when cooked. If they’re colossal, halve them completely. Saute briefly over med-high heat in butter until just opaque, then set aside in a bowl.
3) CURRY ROUX: Sweat scallions and/or shallots in remaining butter until tender. Add flour, curry powder and salt, and stir over medium heat for 1-3 mins to form a light curry roux.
4) ROUX becomes SAUCE: Whisk in the chicken broth, then the milk, raise heat to high, and continue whisking until thickened. Continue simmering for several minutes, to cook out the roux until the desired thickness/gloss is reached (ex: latex paint).
5) FINISH: Add the tomato, along with the reserved cooked shrimp & serve immediately, over cooked white rice.
6) VARIATION (SCALLOPS): Substitute large sea scallops (cut in half, horizontally) for the shrimp.

Return to “Food”