What are you EATING right now?

Foods to make in praise of our Blessed FSM, pasta based and otherwise.

Moderator: All Things Mods

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Re: What are you EATING right now?

Postby ChowMein » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:01 am

Curry animal flesh be good eating to be sure , more so with a proper naan !
Some of those ingreedyints I have never heard of before fank ye for giving me something do . :drinking:

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:50 pm

ChowMein wrote:Curry animal flesh be good eating to be sure , more so with a proper naan !
Some of those ingreedyints I have never heard of before fank ye for giving me something do . :drinking:

Ooooooh, I love me some naan. The one thing that keeps me from making more at home is making clarified butter. It isn't hard, really. And you can use it for a wealth of other applications. But it does take a little bit of time to do right. I think they call it Ghee in Indian cuisine. Should probably just buy the overpriced stuff at the store. lol. But nothing beats freshly made naan or pita. * wanders off to find hummus * :zen:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:54 pm

MourningStar wrote:
ChowMein wrote:Curry animal flesh be good eating to be sure , more so with a proper naan !

Ooooooh, I love me some naan. The one thing that keeps me from making more at home is making clarified butter. It isn't hard, really. And you can use it for a wealth of other applications. But it does take a little bit of time to do right. I think they call it Ghee in Indian cuisine. Should probably just buy the overpriced stuff at the store. lol. But nothing beats freshly made naan or pita. * wanders off to find hummus * :zen:

I keep a jar or two of homemade ghee in my fridge at all times. It's easy to make, and stored in the fridge in a sealed jar it keeps for many months. I mostly use it for things like quesedillas & mushroom confit. I buy butter in 1 lb blocks (usually about 5-10 lbs at a time), and keep it stored in my freezer - I'll periodically make a jar or two of ghee whenever butter goes on sale, or I run low on ghee, whichever comes first.

It's easy to make - the only remotely troublesome catch is making sure the milk solids dont burn during the tail end of reduction ... you have to watch it carefully to monitor the color of the sediment. Figure a 1 lb block of sweet butter yields about 12 fl oz of ghee.

Directions, from my recipe journal:
Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Simmer slowly over low heat for 3-5 minutes until the foam subsides, then bring the butter to a rolling boil over low-med heat for 30-40 minutes, until the butter clarifies and the bubbles begin to get small & fizzy in appearance. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SKIM during this whole process ... just stir the froth down occasionally, and the sediments will eventually settle to the bottom as the moisture boils off. Continue boiling until the butter becomes totally clear, then reduce heat to low and continue simmering until the milky whey on the bottom reduces to gritty solids that begin to turn a light golden brown ... as soon as that happens (re: caramelization doesnt commence until the moisture is gone), shut off the heat, skim off any remaining foam, and decant the clear ghee into an air-tight glass jar (reserve the reduced whey that's left in the pan for use on toast). Par-cool, seal, and refrigerate. Use within 1 year.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Here in the states, the Superbowl is treated pretty much the same way as a holiday, complete with guests and food. I'm in the minority who doesnt care a whit about football, so the event is mostly about cooking something nice and enjoying the amusing once-a-year commercials. Anyway, I made a pot of chili. I went with pork instead of beef, because the former is more sweet (which goes well with the sauteed onions) and the latter always tends to taste murky. For the beans I went with pinto which have a nice middle of the road flavor that doesnt compete for attention. For seasonings I went with a small can of chipotle in adobo, and in diminishing order of quantity - canned peeled tomatoes (chopped), corn niblets (for sweetness and texture), guinness stout, coffee, chili powder, baker's cocoa powder and cumin. I like the combo of guinness, coffee, and cocoa, which plays nice with the ancho-heavy chili powder, and adds some welcome depth and complexity - something I came up with some years back. It's usually served as is, but it also works over rice or crushed saltine crackers or torn up chunks of bread. For garnish I usually go with either a dollup of sour cream or some diced chilled avocado, or both.

My chili is usually pretty popular, because I always aim for a rich well balanced non-greasy flavor, and a nice balance of texture. If anyone wants a more precise recipe, I'll C&P it from my recipe file.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:48 pm

/me pokes thread participants, looking for signs of life.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Pancakes.

Also, due to an early Easter coinciding with a late start to my Dry January, I will be giving up abstinence for Lent.
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :welcome:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Pancakes.

Also, due to an early Easter coinciding with a late start to my Dry January, I will be giving up abstinence for Lent.
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :welcome:

I usually give up all hope for Lent, but that's just me.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 am

um, i giff up hoap 4 Lent 2 uncca Roving .

Eye wunce lent sum fings 2 a big pyrate an' é neffer givved dem bak , rrrrrr . :furious:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Since it's Lent, no meat for the Wifey, so today is Pizza day.

I'm making 3 med pies: I thawed 3 'tiles' of frozen homemade dough overnight in the fridge, punched them down, and then re-rose them near the radiator earlier (where it's warm). I'll do two with some of the mushroom confit I made a few days ago, and the third with some oven-dried home grown cherry tomatoes in oil that I'd squirreled away in a pint jar in the back of the fridge this past summer and promptly forgot about. Since one medium pie generously serves 2 people, that should last us most of the weekend.

For those who are curious, I do med-thin crust, using the parchment on pizza stone method ... around 7 mins at 550F works out fine. Deep dish is a whole different animal ... a post for another occasion.

I'd post photos, but resizing stuff below 1mb is a bother.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:43 pm

Olives.
Well, *an* olive.
An olive on a stick.
An olive on a stick in a glass.
Dry January is over - I am eating a martini.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:05 am

Dogma. :moon:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:45 pm

My karma is to run over dogmas at every oportunity.

Eating a Korean Pear. The appearance flavor and texture is kinda like a cross between a jumbo bosc pear and a water chestnut. Very refreshing.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:41 pm

I am eating a beer. Old Thumper from Shipyard.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Roasted cauliflour & carrots, and a ham steak in an apple-based sauce. Cauliflour, like celery, is very underappreciated ... just oil up a bunch of large bite sized florettes, hit it with salt & pepper, and roast (cut sides down) on a foil liked baking sheet at 450 for 30 mins until deeply browned and tender. Simple yet awesome. As with broccoli, the core/stem is good too, if you peel and slice it ... arguably the best part of the head.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 pm

A lime. With some vodka, triple-sec and cranberry juice.

I am eating a cosmopolitan.

I just played a very, very good gig, and I am celebrating.

Return to “Food”