CURRENT Television

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: CURRENT Television

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:43 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:The part I find most quirky about the "Mexicans are lazy" stereotype is that it exists, comfortably, side-by-side with the "Mexicans are taking all our jobs" stereotype. Nothing contradictory there at all. :whistle:

We have exactly the same stereotype over here, applied to the Irish/Nigerian/Polish immigrants. When the Mail feels like stirring up some xenophobia it's not unusual for them to have articles about 'Lazy immigrants exploit benefit system' and 'Immigrants steal British jobs' in the same day :facepalm:
What do you mean, you lazy English bastard? Coming up here, taking our jobs...

Oh, wait a minute...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Mike and Molly. It's on Monday nights. What a freekin hoot!!!!
Mr. TS and I can't believe what they can get away with on primetime T.V........lots of notty talk in a round-about-way, for the most part.
We laugh the whole time watching.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:03 pm

We watched Jeopardy tonight. Today and the next two days are a special match among two of the most successful players ever and an IBM computer named Watson. It has been a fun match so far. Watson is tied for the lead so far. When it makes a mistake it is often a whopper, but it is very, very good.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:39 pm

10 o' Clock Live. It's pretty good although they could do with having a few less interviews and leaving more time for the ones they do have. This episode they had some good interview/discussion bits but they were constantly being cut short just as they got interesting.

Also, Lauren Laverne seems to be in there to stop it being three angry blokes shouting at a camera. It strikes me that she's not funny enough to do her own segments but she's not articulate enough to hold it all together well either. It's a shame when I think someone like Andi Osho would be a much more natural choice (if Andi's like she is on Mock the Week, live TV might produce some very different results).
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:21 am

Anyone watching 'Outcasts'?
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:42 am

Spartacus - the series that Stars is airing, it's available on Netflix and was recommended highly by one of our professors. Enjoying it very much, but definitely for adults only. The cabin boys are not going to be watching this series until they are well past puberty.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:38 am

Semi-current television: watching Dollhouse on Netflix. The concept is good and well-executed, but it's not up to the same level as Firefly. The FBI agent makes some pretty big mistakes that a real agent wouldn't. Plus, it's somewhat breaking the "suspension of disbelief" barrier by expecting us to believe that an operation with that level of outside interaction would be this secret.

Although, I am smitten with the Mellie character (Miracle Laurie). Heh, third Joss Whedon series in which I find one of the secondary female characters whose not presented as being as hot as the lead, the hot one.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:45 am

PKMKII wrote:Although, I am smitten with the Mellie character (Miracle Laurie). Heh, third Joss Whedon series in which I find one of the secondary female characters whose not presented as being as hot as the lead, the hot one.

I got into a bit of an argument when someone insisted to me that Christina Hendricks was the most attractive woman on Firefly. It's obviously Jewel Staite :confused:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:13 am

Oh jeez, a yosaphbridge fan? That's... a little suspicious. I could see a contention between Kaylee and Inara, though. They appeal to distinctly different tastes.

(insert Sean Maher is the most attractive woman on Firefly joke here. :haha: )
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:16 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Although, I am smitten with the Mellie character (Miracle Laurie). Heh, third Joss Whedon series in which I find one of the secondary female characters whose not presented as being as hot as the lead, the hot one.

I got into a bit of an argument when someone insisted to me that Christina Hendricks was the most attractive woman on Firefly. It's obviously Jewel Staite :confused:

I think she's hotter now on Mad Men then she was on Firefly. Not sure if she's changed physically, or if it's just the role.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 am

black bart wrote:Anyone watching 'Outcasts'?

No Bart...you're the only sad git watching it (just cos you fancy the gun toting girl wots in it).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:47 am

Great quote from Outcasts episode 5:

Our birth rate has plummeted, women are not getting pregnant and we need to do something!

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:33 am

I am completely up to date on the Spartacus series now, which means I have to wait every week for new episodes now. Bummer. If you enjoy double-crossing, back stabbing (literally and figuratively), weaselly characters, blood, violence, and lots of gratuitous sex scenes then this is the show for you.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:34 am

700th edition of 'The Sky at Night' starring the 700 year old Patrick Moore!!!!!

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Just picked up season 2 of Fringe on dvd.

Anyone else liking the show Parenthood?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”