Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Wawizzle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:18 pm

Set To Fail - Lamb of God
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

prabab
Ziti Zealot

Postby prabab » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Have you ever heard of Michal Jelonek, violin virtuoso, member of metal band "Hunter"?

No?

Well, doesn't matter. Recently I fell in love with his solo album - it's an excellent mixture of classical strings, heavy guitar riffs and (even some) electronic stuff. Jelonek is not only a sensational composer, but also a great performer.

Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4NyJIaXvw4&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0wNQCeowo&fmt=18
Pardon my English.

BumbleBee
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby BumbleBee » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:33 pm

The top 50 countdown on [V]2, I think it's Nickleback or something, it's a bit whiny and not very good.
I am a product of massive consumption- it's not my fault it's how I'm programmed to function

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Welcome back, Bumblebee! And I agree with Nickelback. Back when I listened to music it was good, but from what I;ve heard of it now it's a bit whiny.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:48 pm

prabab wrote:Have you ever heard of Michal Jelonek, violin virtuoso, member of metal band "Hunter"?

No?

Well, doesn't matter. Recently I fell in love with his solo album - it's an excellent mixture of classical strings, heavy guitar riffs and (even some) electronic stuff. Jelonek is not only a sensational composer, but also a great performer.

Check this out:

Holyshit, that's awesome. Thanks for posting it. I wonder how long before he hooks up with Apocalyptica for some earthquake serenades?

I was listening to some Joe Satriani stuff on YouTube until my turdball kompoodr decided I shouldn't listen to any more.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:45 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
prabab wrote:Have you ever heard of Michal Jelonek, violin virtuoso, member of metal band "Hunter"?

No?

Check this out:

Holyshit, that's awesome. Thanks for posting it. I wonder how long before he hooks up with Apocalyptica for some earthquake serenades?

I was listening to some Joe Satriani stuff on YouTube until my turdball kompoodr decided I shouldn't listen to any more.

Holy fuck. I hate, like, 90% of the Metal I get recommended but goddamn, that threw me for a loop. Cheers.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Nerdcore Hiphop - MC Frontalot
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:42 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:

No?

Check this out:

I think you deserve a new computer matey...perhaps you'll get one for Xmas or your birthday.

This reminds me of times gone by when I was struggling with inferior equipment.

Anyone who loves music needs a good computer so they can get ITunes and stuff like that. Of course it's a well known fact that MP3's lose a lot of the quality you get with vinyl and even tapes (although I have always hated casettes). My ears aren't good enough to notice the loss of quality though so when I'm listening to eg 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' on mp3 I get almost the same kick out of it that I got 30 years ago when I was trying to get the vinyl record to play on my goddam ma & pa's stupid gramophone with the frikkin metal needles!!!

I took one album back to the shop 5 times before the poor guy at the record shop asked me what I was playing it on.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:30 pm

black bart wrote:I think you deserve a new computer matey...perhaps you'll get one for Xmas or your birthday.

This is a new kopmudder. Three weeks old. Got it when I blew up my last one. Can't afford to buy my very own, gotta use what they give me. FML.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:16 am

The Mesopotamians - They Might Be Giants
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:21 am

REM, The Jam and Bob Marley
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:54 am

I once found myself sitting on the same bit of beach as Bruce Foxton.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:00 am

Cool. I always felt a bit sorry for Foxton, Weller had his solo career and Rick Buckler did some stuff with a new band but Foxton was playing with a Jam tribute act (correct the last time I heard)

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am

Invaders Must Die. New Prodigy album!

I was having a haircut wearing my Prodigy shirt and while paying the barber asked if I'd heard the new album. That was the first I'd heard about it so I immediately went off and got it. Made my day to have someone volunteer useful information :D

Anyway, first impressions are very good, less guest vocalists and more Keith/Maxim vocals. I prefer it to Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned. Sounds like a cross between the vocals and aggressiveness of Fat of the Land, the keyboards/sampling of Always Outnumbered... and to a lesser extent the guitars and drums off Jilted Generation. Tracks I like most at the moment are Thunder (cool reggae-sounding sample) and Run with the Wolves (Dave Grohl guests on the drums :D )

zinc alloy
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby zinc alloy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 pm

You can't whack a bit of Rolf Harris. :D
A personal favourite is 'Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport'.
'I've been everywhere and I've seen everything there is,
but I never saw the light.
Scared to death of dying so I do my best to live,
out of mind and out of sight.' -Kris Kristofferson

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”