Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Monobaz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Thankx CaptainLongPig, Alestorm eh - not bad at all, but there should be a law against spilling so much booze!
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Monobaz wrote:Thankx CaptainLongPig, Alestorm eh - not bad at all, but there should be a law against spilling so much booze!

Aye! Tis a shame, but since they do rock pretty hard it can slide fer now.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Orthodox Celts - Star of the County Down.

Amusingly enough the Serbians sound more Irish than a lot of the septic plastic Paddies :haha:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

CaptainLongPig
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby CaptainLongPig » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 pm

I just picked up Twiztid's new cd The Darkness. It takes the album title to heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNHBtnEZXQ

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 am

Well, Post-Modern Jukebox came to Glasgow on Tuesday. I was there, of course, and it was an utterly astounding show. I saw Old Crow Medicine Show about 3 months ago, that set the bar for 'astounding' pretty high for me, but PMJ surpassed it.

I don't know where to begin... the jazz and tap-dancing version of Rapper's Delight?

The honky-tonk piano version of Freebird?

No, probably with Morgan James' version of Hozier's Take Me To Church.

That's a pretty good, but definitely studio-bound, version of the song. Now imagine her terrifying 1500 Glaswegians into stunned silence with the sheer intensity of her live performance. Not shouting, or big vocal acrobatics, just honestly emoting and projecting the meaning of the song, using one voice and one piano.

First time PMJ played Glasgow, they were in the 300-400 capacity basement at Òran Mór. Tuesday, they filled the Old Fruitmarket (capacity 1500-1800?). Next time they're going to need a much bigger venue: they have some new fans in Glasgow, that's for sure.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:45 pm

ho! unka woy, oi lovs thet song!!!

taler me shirts
oi'll dress hup loik a dog evwy sataday nite
oi ken shute off me shins an ye can frrrrrt on yer wife

rrrrrrrr

:violin: :violin: :violin: :stupid:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:ho! unka woy, oi lovs thet song!!!

Well, Nef Yoo, I believe the children are our future...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 pm

I had bought one track off of it awhile ago, but I recently bought the rest of Author & Punisher's Ursus Americanus. Uber-heavy doom industrial, but the really wild thing about it is his one-man setup.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon May 25, 2015 4:52 pm

Listening to a lot of Cream and a lot of Free. My latest project is a covers band called Non-Dairy. Because it's Cream-Free.

Don't worry, I'll ban myself.
:nefyoobash: :nefyoobash: :nefyoobash:
:blush: :blush: :blush:
:barf: :barf: :barf:

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Me again. Does nobody listen to music any more?

Robyn Hitchcock, he of the Egyptians and/or Soft Boys fame.

As mad as a box of boxes with boxes in them. Here's 'My Wife and my Dead Wife' as if to prove the point.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:57 pm

My musical adventures have been fairly mundane lately. A couple of months ago they hired Justin at work (a very political hire, he came direct from the Senator's office in DC) to fill the vacant Policy Director position. He's a nice enough guy, it will be a shame to watch him slowly crushed to jelly over the next couple of years, but I digress. During one of our initial conversations it emerged that he is an aspiring guitarist. I talked him into bringing his guitar in one Friday, and it became evident that he's still very much a novice. I'm trying to teach him a few things here and there, but I've also tasked him with recommending new songs for me to learn, since he's about 20 years younger than me and has of course different tastes. Last month he introduced me to the song "Pancho and Lefty" by Townes Van Zant, recommending a version by Steve Earl as his favorite. I listened to them both a few times in my best OCD-driven manner, along with another very mariachi-sounding version by Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson, and eventually decided it would be a good song for the Coffee House last month. (Apparently I'm the only person around here who was unfamiliar with the song - Mrs. T got all excited and had to watch an old episode of "Alias Smith and Jones" on youtube when I mentioned it.) I had issues with each of the versions I mentioned - Van Zant and Earl both fingerpick their way through it, and I can't fingerpick worth a damn; and Nelson/Haggard sounded way too campy. So of course I made some adjustments. I added some bass runs and a little riff on the A minor at the end of the verses and refrains, and figured out what I think is a better way to fit in the Am-F-G at "said goodbye" and "dying words" etc. I downloaded the lyrics, and in reading through them I noticed that the song makes absolutely no sense. The first verse has nothing to do with the story it supposedly tells, and the rest of the song fails to make any connection between the two guys in the title. I nattered on about these shortcomings in my introduction to the song, kind of letting the audience at the coffee house know that I thought the song was a bit silly, and when I said "the song is called Pancho and Lefty" two guys jumped and hollered that it was their favorite song, they were just playing it the other day, and so forth. I played my version, and one of them said he had never heard anyone "take ownership of a song like that before" (he's actually a pretty damn good musician in his own right, made me feel pretty good about myself for a few minutes there), but they insisted that there was nothing missing from the story in the song. I guess I'm a little slow. They were easily able to understand that Lefty turned Pancho over to the Federales and took off with the money after they killed him. I have no idea where they get it from, it's still not there as far as I can tell. Whatever. Other songs I did last month included my not-likely-to-ever-be-famous unplugged arrangement of Queen's "The Prophet's Song" and my still-not-really-finished "Collateral Damage", along with some acoustic jamming to "Whippin' Post" with that guy I mentioned above whose name eludes me.

This month in honor of Fathers' Day, I'm resurrecting Cat Stevens' Father and Son, no editing needed. I used to know it many years ago, and it's pretty straightforward. Also "Still Can't Say Goodbye" by Tommy Emmanuel and probably Taxi by Harry Chapin.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:42 am

Tragically Hip , playing Bobcaygeon repeatedly . Also more " oldies" : Talk Talk , Dave Edmunds , and Joy Division.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:01 am

i lissnen 2 nuffin .
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:57 am

Bryson Andre playing his electric violin on youtube , very nice .

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:21 pm

Myself playing random stuff at a private party with friends on China Lake. Received numerous very kind comments.

Also discovered a new way to play an A2 chord: X-7-7-6-0-5. Optional to fret the low E string at 5 with the thumb.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”