Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 am

Myself attempting to make it through Buckethead's "Soothsayer" on my Michael Kelly. "Attempting" being the operative word. Buckethead's is a challenging style, to say the least.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm

I have probably posted this before; but Johnny Mercer's arrangement of Stardust, sung by Nat King Cole...

Oy vey... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VezW1PtDq5E
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Nightcore of Angel With A Shotgun.
I don't get it. Nightcore is trending, and my likes and what's trendy NEVER cross paths. Plus I just hate nightcore, for all the obvious reasons. This is the one exception to the rules (such as the universal rule of 'nightcore sucks').
For example, it has almost 100,000,000 views on youtube, which is about 40,000,000 more than the next most viewed nightcore video, and almost 7 times more popular than the original song's music video. It's an anomaly. For some reason that ONE song is pretty great when you nightcore it.
Oh, impromptu WOTD by the way:
Nightcore (n.)
  1. A piece of music that is (usually) sped up, (sometimes) has its bass amplified, and (almost always) is given a higher pitch. This usually results in a more upbeat, but often overplayed (think Imagine Dragons), piece of music.
  2. A person who makes/mixes such music.

EDIT: Oh FSM help me, I found a nightcored Radioactive. CURSE YOU AUTOPLAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
EDIT 2: Oh yeah, the way in which I first heard the song is remarkable. I was playing Rainbow Six Siege, my username is FestiveSatan (as always), and I was literally holding a shotgun in game. The circumstances couldn't have been more perfect.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:43 pm

This really happened. If smartphone footage appears, I will post it. Played a gig in a hipster bar tonight. In the middle of a set of originals, we played a cover - a jazz standard - called 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore'.

After we finished, an uber-hipster with an oiled beard and bicycle clips approached Jimbo, the singist, and congratulated him for writing such a song. Jimbo, quite rightly, pointed out that it was a jazz standard. Hipster rebuts him, says he Shazammed it, no hits, he Googled it, no hits. Therefore Jimbo must have written it? He was really insistent on this, despite being wrong.

Turns out Shazam can't transpose keys, and the song isn't called 'Don't get around much mon amour'.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:uber-hipster with an oiled beard and bicycle clips (my bold)

Was he cycling at the time? If he was, what a bellend. If he wasn't, what a complete bellend.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”