Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:53 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I got this stuck in my head a while back. It doesn't have words, obviously, so I had to learn the whole tune to get it out of my head.
I forgot the tune, and it's back. Great soundtrack, though.
Three cookies to anyone who can name it, I uploaded it without a title on purpose.

I hereby name it "Utter Shyte." I'm surprised the recording equipment didn't freeze up within the first two measures.

I've been obsessively repeating several different versions of this tune as I've been learning it, potentially playing it at the open mic in a couple of weeks. Mrs. T is probably pretty sick of it by now.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:I got this stuck in my head a while back. It doesn't have words, obviously, so I had to learn the whole tune to get it out of my head.
Three cookies to anyone who can name it, I uploaded it without a title on purpose.

I hereby name it "Utter Shyte." I'm surprised the recording equipment didn't freeze up within the first two measures.

That's the main theme from Mappy, a very unsung game, on piano. I really don't get why people think Pole Position was so great . . .
That tune is great, and I'm pretty certain they used software, not instruments, to play it, especially considering the line moving along the bars in time with the music, which can be seen in the original video (which was called, "Mappy - Piano Arrangement by Presa1200" on youtube, let credit be given where credit is due).

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:41 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:

I've been obsessively repeating several different versions of this tune as I've been learning it, potentially playing it at the open mic in a couple of weeks. Mrs. T is probably pretty sick of it by now.

Greg Lake b awwwwwsum arrrrrgh
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 pm

I've been friends with a fellow drummer on Facebook for years, met him in real life, we have a few IRL friends in common now. He has been to some of my gigs; me drumming, bass playing, even acting on one occasion, and he has always been effusive in his praise for how good the gig / show has been.

I have actually played a gig with him, he was drumming, I was playing bass and b-vox, for a birthday party of a mutual friend. Rock and Roll, a bit of metal, a bit of grunge, a bit of Indie. We all took our trousers off to play Gay Bar at the end of the gig. It was great, he can really play and he knows people who can really play too. I went to see his main band tonight, his 'big' band, the one he'll cry off a night out because he has to rehearse or gig with them. I had high hopes, because he had been 'bigging up' these guys for years.

They. Were. Pants. :cry:

They were tight, they were competent, they could all play, but they were playing effectively the playlist from a hair metal bar circa 1993: their Snakes were White, their Jovis were Bon, they'd been hanging with a Mötley Crüe of Bad Company, so they went on a Journey with a Foreigner, had a Kiss with a Loverboy, and they ended up not in Kansas any more Toto, but at least they were Free. Throw in Guns 'n' Roses and Van Halen, and you're just about there. The keyboard player was actually using a DX-7 (no, I don't expect you to get that, but I need to say it).

I feel like I threw away ten bucks, and now I need to listen to stuff like XTC, Devo, Scritti Politti, The Damned, hell even Roxy Music again. Don't make me go back to the hair metal bar circa 1993 (although I did have hair at that point, truth be told)!

I scarpered sharpish after the gig - now I'm gonna have to contact him and tell him how great it was.
:furious:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Beware the Ides of June!

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:21 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I've been friends with a fellow drummer on Facebook for years, met him in real life, we have a few IRL friends in common now. He has been to some of my gigs; me drumming, bass playing, even acting on one occasion, and he has always been effusive in his praise for how good the gig / show has been.

I have actually played a gig with him, he was drumming, I was playing bass and b-vox, for a birthday party of a mutual friend. Rock and Roll, a bit of metal, a bit of grunge, a bit of Indie. We all took our trousers off to play Gay Bar at the end of the gig. It was great, he can really play and he knows people who can really play too. I went to see his main band tonight, his 'big' band, the one he'll cry off a night out because he has to rehearse or gig with them. I had high hopes, because he had been 'bigging up' these guys for years.

They. Were. Pants. :cry:

They were tight, they were competent, they could all play, but they were playing effectively the playlist from a hair metal bar circa 1993: their Snakes were White, their Jovis were Bon, they'd been hanging with a Mötley Crüe of Bad Company, so they went on a Journey with a Foreigner, had a Kiss with a Loverboy, and they ended up not in Kansas any more Toto, but at least they were Free. Throw in Guns 'n' Roses and Van Halen, and you're just about there. The keyboard player was actually using a DX-7 (no, I don't expect you to get that, but I need to say it).

I feel like I threw away ten bucks, and now I need to listen to stuff like XTC, Devo, Scritti Politti, The Damned, hell even Roxy Music again. Don't make me go back to the hair metal bar circa 1993 (although I did have hair at that point, truth be told)!

I scarpered sharpish after the gig - now I'm gonna have to contact him and tell him how great it was.
:furious:

I hate when that happens. My mentor, my idol, former lead guitarist for Susan Tedeschi and other amazing performers, the most incredible guitarist I've ever played with, is now playing "alt country." :cry: :cry: :cry:
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 am

Roy Hunter wrote:They. Were. Pants. :cry:

Should . . . should I even try to understand?
Roy Hunter wrote:They were tight, they were competent, they could all play, but they were playing effectively the playlist from a hair metal bar circa 1993: their Snakes were White, their Jovis were Bon, they'd been hanging with a Mötley Crüe of Bad Company, so they went on a Journey with a Foreigner, had a Kiss with a Loverboy, and they ended up not in Kansas any more Toto, but at least they were Free. Throw in Guns 'n' Roses and Van Halen, and you're just about there. The keyboard player was actually using a DX-7 (no, I don't expect you to get that, but I need to say it).

It could have been worse.
It could have been a combination of every song from Frozen and St. Anger
Roy Hunter wrote:I feel like I threw away ten bucks, and now I need to listen to stuff like XTC, Devo, Scritti Politti, The Damned, hell even Roxy Music again. Don't make me go back to the hair metal bar circa 1993 (although I did have hair at that point, truth be told)!

Interesting . . . so you say you're bald . . . do you have a beak by any chance?

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

StayThirstyMyAguila wrote:

Not. Very. Good.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

I liked his explanation about what brought him to chemistry as much as the video itself - pieces o'nine

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:24 pm

daftbeaker wrote:

Not. Very. Good.

Really? Who coined that?
I had to make sure that I wasn't living too far under my rock, so I Googled it. 'Pants' is just a British thing.
But hey, better to have pants than not, right?

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I don't understand the appeal of jazz.
Am I alone on this?

Also, Jukebox Hero.

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:06 pm

A RGGI webinar, a wind power webinar, and a Legislative Committee hearing. Good thing I have three ears.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:35 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:I have three ears.

And YOU were the one we chose as the Extra Terrestrial? That's encouraging.

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:45 pm

And YOU were the one we chose as the Extra Terrestrial? That's encouraging.

No, I self-identified.

I have punted out of one of the webinars. All stuff I'm already very aware of.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:12 pm

A massive poo stain wrote:

And YOU were the oneWE chose blahblahblah.

WE !?! :confused: :fsm_rock:

HAHA!

darr no we!

hahahahaha :fsm_rock:
:fsm_rock:
dare b us :zen:
an darr ye be :moon: :nefyoobash: :idiot: :whip:
an ye b tha Loose canon feef Urk an lotz an lotz ove puppit urks :fsm_rock:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

Monobaz
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Monobaz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:........an ye b tha Loose canon feef Urk an lotz an lotz ove puppit urks........

Procreating like rats Nef Yoo! :barf: :barf: :barf:

Phil Manzanera. 801 Live.
"There was a time when religion ruled the world. It is known as the Dark Ages." Ruth Hurmence Green

StayThirstyMyAguila
Definitely not Eric

Postby StayThirstyMyAguila » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:39 pm

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”