Watcha listenin' to?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Re: Watcha listenin' to?

Postby Roy Hunter » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:26 am

Yesterday I went to the gym and worked out to the entirety of Joe's Garage, Parts I, II and III by Frank Zappa. It was absolutely brilliant, the machines said I worked off a total of roughly 1,000 calories, and I got to listen to the likes of "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?", "Catholic Girls", "Crew Slut", and "Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt".

This morning I can barely walk.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:58 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Yesterday I went to the gym and worked out to the entirety of Joe's Garage, Parts I, II and III by Frank Zappa. It was absolutely brilliant, the machines said I worked off a total of roughly 1,000 calories, and I got to listen to the likes of "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?", "Catholic Girls", "Crew Slut", and "Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt".

Now you're just trying to get in the QooC thread :moon:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:Yesterday I went to the gym and worked out to the entirety of Joe's Garage, Parts I, II and III by Frank Zappa. It was absolutely brilliant, the machines said I worked off a total of roughly 1,000 calories, and I got to listen to the likes of "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?", "Catholic Girls", "Crew Slut", and "Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt".

Be still my beating heart. Must...resist...misquoting. :haha: For someone so opposed to drugs, he really was a funky dude.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't get that: when people thing it's weird that something or someone is trippy or weird or funky but doesn't have anything to do with drugs. We have free will, we can do just about anything (that we physically can), drugs or not.

Anyway, most listening to my suitemate play what appears to be Springsteen's Christmas album. It's good music, but I really don't feel like listening to Christmas stuff this early out. I mean, I already was thinking "What? Hannukah? that was like, ages ago." Because apparently my subconscious thinks it's already Christmas when Christmas music is playing.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

ZombieNoodleDemon
Ziti Zealot

Postby ZombieNoodleDemon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Christmas time is not the same without snow :(

Listening to Submotion Orchestra, Alcest, and Maximum the Hormone.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:10 pm

ZombieNoodleDemon wrote:Christmas time is not the same without snow :(
What are you wittering about? You've got enough sun to give a honky like me melanoma in minutes!

Listening to a Pixies / L7 / Breeders / Chumbawumba etc. playlist that The Boy's new wench made for him. He's not too keen on it, but I think she's got good taste in music.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Cage The Elephants second album: Thank You, Happy Birthday.

I really dig the lyricism.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:I don't get that: when people thing it's weird that something or someone is trippy or weird or funky but doesn't have anything to do with drugs. We have free will, we can do just about anything (that we physically can), drugs or not.

I am testament to that fact. I've done my weirdest things whilst completely sober, with no mind-altering substances, legal or not, anywhere near my body. I wasn't expressing disbelief, I was just referencing that most musicians who come up with really funky/trippy stuff are usually under the influence of something. Not necessarily all the time, but definitely some of it, and Frank Zappa was one of the most "out there" musicians of his day. Maybe I listen to far too much 60s/70s psychedelia and related music? As a case in point, in my player this weekend has been:-

13th Floor Elevators
The Doors
13th Floor Elevators
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
and last, but not least, 13th Floor Elevators
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:03 am

black bart wrote:Got hold of the soundtrack from the film 'Manhunter' so Imma listnin to baby...Inna Gadda Da Vida...cool man.

Have you heard the story of when the band Iron Butterfly recorded "Inna Gadda Da Vida" it was actually called "In the garden of Eden" but they were too stoned to speak the lyrics properly...then the recording drifted on for 17 minutes because they were too out of it to stop playing. :haha:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ZombieNoodleDemon
Ziti Zealot

Postby ZombieNoodleDemon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:Cage The Elephants second album: Thank You, Happy Birthday.

Eh used to like them a few years ago, but now I find them really really meh.

Listening to early In Flames, Sigur Ros, Ling Tosite Sigure, and Crotchduster. I love me some Crotchduster.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Fucking. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkP3urtY ... ata_player

Sent from my iPhone
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 pm

That is a pretty damn good cover, not as 'pure' as the original but it's definitely got the same urgency and emotion. If only it didn't sound like the sound was deliberately muddled and distorted it might have been better than the original.

Edit - One of my students got me listening to the DJ Zinc remix of Ready or Not for the first time in years. It's much slower than I remember :idiot:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 pm

It's Trent Reznor, it'd be odd if it didn't sound like that.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:38 pm

PKMKII wrote:It's Trent Reznor, it'd be odd if it didn't sound like that.

This. Was gonna say something similar. I really like it. But that's just sort of the style, I guess.

defective_cognizance
Conchigliette Convert

Postby defective_cognizance » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:40 am

So i dug deep into my old music on the o'l Ipod yesterday, and discovered that Mars Volta - Francis the Mute is a fantastic album to listen to while working your stuff on the treadmill!! Have any of you broke out a sweet air drum solo, while running on the treadmill with the guy next to you giving you the stink eye?? hehe :)

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”