The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:55 pm

I didn't invent that method. It's the best way to hide spoilers when there's no actual Spoiler tag.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:53 pm

You can just make the text the same color as the background, [Spoiler]like this[/Spoiler]
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:13 am

PKMKII wrote:You can just make the text the same color as the background, [Spoiler]like this[/Spoiler]
Yes, but this forum uses different board styles, which have different colour schemes. You might not be able to see that colour, but maybe I can.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:29 pm

My ex recently gave me her latest ex's PS2... is it worth keeping considering the fact that i already have two Xboxes, an N64 and an Xbox360? Should i just sell it?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:34 pm

You should give it away to the first person to post after you mentioned it. :whistle:
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Nice try...

:grin:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:24 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHH!!!
:facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :facewall: :facewall:

Arma II will simply not acknowledge that I spent the last 2.5 hours learning how to fly a VTOL (And let it be known, that's only slightly easier than figuring out how to shoot flying monkeys with starry wands out of one's wang). I have done everything right. Everything. Even down to getting extra points landing on a flipping carrier! And does the "Boot Camp" menu say it's finished? No.

I love this game, but it makes me want to go on killing sprees.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:27 am

Scott, PS2 is a great system with a TON of great games, especially since it can play both PS1 and PS2 games, plus DVDs and CDs. I say keep it.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:01 am

Look...this is an order...you all need to join 'Warhawk' so I can shoot you all down and get my 'Distinguished Aerial Superiority' Ribbon...please!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 am

black bart wrote:Look...this is an order...you all need to join 'Warhawk' so I can shoot you all down and get my 'Distinguished Aerial Superiority' Ribbon...please!

Too late I got it last night (D'oh that's going in the qooc thread for sure!).
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:55 pm

I've heard a lot of hubub at my school lately about "call of duty," can someone tell me what the big deal is?
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:00 pm

ubidubikid #1 wrote:I've heard a lot of hubub at my school lately about "call of duty," can someone tell me what the big deal is?
I would ask my son but he's been in his room with the door nailed shut since midnight on Monday. He's also using ALL the internet bandwidth. I've a good mind to throttle him (his internet connection, that is).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:I've heard a lot of hubub at my school lately about "call of duty," can someone tell me what the big deal is?
I've played a few rounds, and it is fairly interesting. Well, I can only offer an opinion on the multiplayer, unfortunately. You're either Axis or Allies and you have to kill the other team and take their flag, or whatever rules of the game. The control of the weapons and vehicles is good, it looks pretty fantastic, and it's extremely entertaining when you're with a bunch of friends.
It's what you expect of a WWII shooter, I guess.

Side note: I can't remember which sequel I played, because there are a few of them. It was on the X-Box 360, if that helps, but it may not have been a 360 game.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:57 am

I've seen a video revue of the new game 'Modern Warfare' and it looks awesome. I played the last version right through and the best bit was the SAS sniper section where you had to take aim at some nasty East European Drugs Baron and allow for the curvature of the Earth to shoot him. My only gripe about Call of Duty was the game was far too short for £40. My other gripe is those types of games sometimes make you feel that you are following a prescribed (almost like watching a video) path and you are not really playing a game where you can change the outcome. I tried playing it online but I couldn't stay alive for more than about 4 seconds!

Back to Warhawk for me.

Borderlands sounds good as well.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:21 am

I just managed to get the boy out of his room for ten minutes in order to feed him. He says that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, to give it its full Sunday name, was made by a different company than the last Call of Duty, and the game play and interactivity is much better than its predecessor. As I understand it, The game relies more on the graphics power of the Xbox 360 than raw processing power, and this enables much bigger multiplayer games, but keeps network lag down, as there isn't so much information being transferred between individual players.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”