The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby fueledbycoffee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Just spent the last 12 hours playing. Bart, "Much better than the original" is one of the greatest understatements in history. Everything, everything, has been massively improved. The last Assassin's Creed was merely Ok. This is a bloody masterpiece.

Personal favorite part *SPOILER*: Saving the life of Lorenzo de' Medici during the Pazzi Conspiracy. For a Renaissance buff such as myself, this mission was a total, nerdy wet dream. Also, Pope Alexander VI is the villain. Kick. Ass.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:07 pm

Maybe you guys and gals can help me out...

I got a copy of Assassins Creed but it has no book to go with the disc. Near as i can tell the game involves climbing towers and running away. Help?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:27 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:Maybe you guys and gals can help me out...

I got a copy of Assassins Creed but it has no book to go with the disc. Near as i can tell the game involves climbing towers and running away. Help?

Running away is a major strategy in all games as far as I can tell...and indeed in life!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:52 am

Runescape is created by brittish people in Cambridge. There's a thanksgiving holiday event on it for the second year in a row. Something is wrong here.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:01 pm

Torchlight is pretty good, from the people that made Diablo. Think Diablo with cartoony graphics, only £15 at the moment, well worth it (in my opinion). It's the first game I've bought on Steam (I like physical disks) so that says something. Also there's a free demo that takes you through to the first major plot event, well worth trying.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:29 am

Played Mario Party 8 on te wii last night. it was....slow.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:55 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:Maybe you guys and gals can help me out...

Which Assassin's Creed? The first one is about climbing buildings, running away, killing people, and doing the same three tasks to get information, followed by killing a more important person. Such is the repetitive life of Altair.

The second is about doing that while experiencing the beauty of the Tuscan countryside. Oh, and managing your city, sneaking into places with a much improved blending-into-the-crowd system, finding codex pages, making vast quantities of money, hanging with Leonardo Da Vinci and Lorenzo De Medici, and most importantly, killing minstrels. As brutally as you can. They deserve it.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:58 pm

So is the first one worth finishing if that's all that it's going to be, or should i sell it to one of the neighborhood teens for 10 bucks?

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:19 am

Finish first, then sell.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:57 am

But if it bores me and is just more of the BORING same...

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:37 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:But if it bores me and is just more of the BORING same...

If you think that's boring you should try playing 'Fuel'.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:15 pm

I do not even own a PS3, but the times I have camped out at the homes of friends, one game has consistently held me in its thrall...

That game, good sirs, is 'Demon's Souls'.

It is EPIC.

Nothing else can do justice to the spirit of what it means to be a gamer in a manner so harsh, and yet so right. In fact, nothing else I have found does it justice at all, in comparison.

This hearkens back to the days of Super Mario Bros 1, where save points were a laughable fantasy.
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:11 am

I'm really lucky in that my colleague at work goes through PS3 games like Tiger Wood's wife goes through golf clubs...then I buy them off him cheap.

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am

black bart wrote:I'm really lucky in that my colleague at work goes through PS3 games like Tiger Wood's wife goes through golf clubs...then I buy them off him cheap.

Then you know what to buy first...

After that, get mgs4...

then assassin's creed...

AAAAGH!
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 am

~NoodleDemon~ wrote:
black bart wrote:I'm really lucky in that my colleague at work goes through PS3 games like Tiger Wood's wife goes through golf clubs...then I buy them off him cheap.

Then you know what to buy first...

After that, get mgs4...

then assassin's creed...

AAAAGH!

All ready got MGS4...just waiting to get in the mood to play it. (I hope it hasn't got as many lengthy cut scenes as the earlier games).

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”