The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby fueledbycoffee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 am

Playing Samurai Warriors 2. Just found out that it has a PC version. Awesome.

I'll never understand what American reviewers have against Koei. Kessen, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors are all great fun, and are habitually trashed by Gamespot and IGN. Sure, they ain't pretty, but with the amount of stuff going on, they really can't be. Sure, they're basically the same game with upgrades, but so's Madden, and they worship it. What's going on?!
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 am

:facewall:

My friend joined me playing Borderlands online. Because he's a level 40 something I was able to follow him through missions and jump up through the levels up to level 20. But on Saturday night my save_file corrupted and now I'm back to square one!!! :cry:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Fixed my Xbox 360 myself and am quite enjoying Halo Reach on Heroic difficulty.

Also there's a firefight option called "Gruntpocalypse". Ever increasing waves of Grunts. The sub-title is "All Grunts. All the time. Aim for the face." When you get them in the face there's a popping sound, confetti explodes from their heads and children cheer!!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

The violence! Those poor little grunts. They are people too you know.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Started playing Pokemon White today, which my beloved Ashley was kind enough to buy for me the day it came out! We were going to start that day, but things didn't work out so well for me. I won't go into that again, but anyway I'm playing it now! I named my Tepig "Hoggora" after the fact that it's a pig, and the word for "mountain" in various Slavic languages, because its evolved forms are basically big, hulking pig wrestler things. I named my Patrat "Hunter". The reason is kind of grotesque, but funny.

Ashley's even slowing down her usual blast-through-the-game playing style so I can enjoy the game and still keep up with her! This weekend, hopefully we'll have a battle!
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:56 pm

My friends have been playing, so I've been more exposed to it than the 4th gen, or the remakes of Gold and Silver, and it actually looks promising. My main beef with the newer gens is that the pokemon just seem... stupid and contrived. But now that they're (as my friend put it) "Ripping off the original games," by doing things like basing pokemon off animals (it's literally like, oh that's a crocodile, oh that's a dog, that's a duck, etc), I seem to be less annoyed by this.

Of course, I still don't have DS nor do I really feel like giving up that much of my time.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 am

I've battled my way to level 30 on Borderlands.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Most of the Pokemon actually are based on something identifiable and usually interesting. A lot of it is based on Japanese mythology and folklore, or really obscure but really fascinating animals and plants. A guy by the name of George Hutcheon writes a series of fascinating articles on Bulbanews called "On the Origin of Species". I suggest anyone who complains that the newer Pokemon are dumb should give it a read, and you may change your mind. Here's a link to the first one, about Wooper, from Generation II:

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/O ... es:_Wooper

Links to all the other articles in the series are in the box at the bottom. Warning, though: With the recent international release of the new games, all Bulbagarden sites are behaving sluggishly due to heavy server load. Sometimes the images won't appear and the background will be the default color for your browser, in which case you should reload until it shows up right because the pictures enhance the articles.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 pm

Julius Aurora wrote:The violence! Those poor little grunts. They are people too you know.

Um... they're really NOT people...
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:44 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:
Julius Aurora wrote:The violence! Those poor little grunts. They are people too you know.

Um... they're really NOT people...

They ARE real people if you are playing online...you can tell because they shout at you in colourful language:

You shot me you *&@@@***!!!!

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:49 am

black bart wrote:You shot me you *&@@@***!!!!

Playing on a PC does seem to limit the amount of foul mouthed children shouting abuse. Unfortunately, it increases the number of complaints of people hacking whenever they lose :shrug:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:You shot me you *&@@@***!!!!

Playing on a PC does seem to limit the amount of foul mouthed children shouting abuse. Unfortunately, it increases the number of complaints of people hacking whenever they lose :shrug:

It's not often you get a lot of actual bad language to be honest, after all in most online games people can be voted off by the other players or reported. You do seem to get the occasional player who obviously needs help. Borderlands is a game where you have to cooperate to get anywhere...I get my level 50 friend to help me! I am talking about playstation net by the way, I can't speak for other online gaming forums.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Also depends on the type of game. TF2 has very little in the way of foul-mouthed typing/speaking, and like daft said, when it does pop up it's usually in the form of kvetching about hacking/cheating/premium accounts.

Trade chat in WoW, on the other hand... My nickname for my old server was "Maelstrom, the 4chan of WoW servers."
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:04 pm

I think the agrivation connected with loss is proportional with time wasted. in TF2 you rarly loose more than 15 seconds of playtime when you loose. In wow it could be several hours.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:53 pm

This is true. I can end up swearing a lot while playing TF2, and our server is by no means FCC approved. But we make sure nothing is really abusive. I generally only insult my fellow clan members who know it's not that serious, and my raging is entirely self-aware. Screaming obscenities about how angry I am at someone for killing me is just my way of enjoying the game, I guess. I'm smiling the whole time I do it, anyway. XD

Though, to be fair, it's not really screaming or my hallmates might have something to say. Swearing, definitely though. But yeah, if someone is actually out of hand or being abusive towards someone, they usually get voted out pretty quick.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”