The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 am

Rainswept wrote:Tiny Tower. Stupid fricking addicting iPhone..

I might download that on my ipad. I will also join up with you on the steam thing although I have no idea what it is but I assume we'll be able to play the coop version of Portal 2. It keeps prompting me to go on to steam when I start the game up. Let me finish the single player first though, shouldn't take too long.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby muunleit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:35 am

black bart wrote:Portal 2 is fantastic. My family are of no help to me when I get stuck. All I get from them is:

"Why are you carrying a potato?" Why are slopping blue paint up that wall?" etc etc.

Come to think of it it's not so far removed from real life.

Here is a little, funny game from the people who made Portal, before they were hired by Valve
https://www.digipen.edu/studentprojects/tag/

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:55 am

muunleit wrote:
black bart wrote:Portal 2 is fantastic. My family are of no help to me when I get stuck. All I get from them is:

"Why are you carrying a potato?" Why are slopping blue paint up that wall?" etc etc.

Come to think of it it's not so far removed from real life.

Here is a little, funny game from the people who made Portal, before they were hired by Valve

Fascinating, unfortunately the download is an exe file and wont work on a mac. Perhaps they'll make an app of the game.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

muunleit
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby muunleit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm

black bart wrote:
muunleit wrote:
black bart wrote:...
Fascinating, unfortunately the download is an exe file and wont work on a mac. Perhaps they'll make an app of the game.

I don't think so. Afaik, it was a studentsproject from 2009. :shrug:
Haven't you "mac-guys" some kind of emulation or virtualization to run windows-programs? :confused: We ("linux-guys") have wine to do that job.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

black bart wrote: I will also join up with you on the steam thing although I have no idea what it is but I assume we'll be able to play the coop version of Portal 2.

That's exactly what it does. The Co-op is fully half the game. The single player has all the story, but the co-op has most of the best puzzles, and every single level requires teamwork. I hope you have a mic.

If you're not familiar with Steam, please let me take this opportunity to apologize to your family and loved ones for introducing you to it. Not only does it allow co-ops, it's the store from which you can directly download pretty much any PC game legally. You no longer even have to drive to the store to shop and buy. It's kinda like iTunes for video games.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:48 am

Oh dear...does this mean I'll be falling asleep in the office even more frequently?

I got Tiny Tower and It IS as addictive as you say. I've got a resident who's dream job is 'Graphic designer'! I've got him working in the Photo Studio and seems happy enough but the guy who wants to work in Fashion is NOT happy in the Sushi Bar!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 am

My tiny tower isn't very tiny by the way! :paranoid:

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:31 am

Don't worry, Bart, it's not the size of the tower that matters, it's how clean the windows are.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 pm

bacon wrote:Don't worry, Bart, it's not the size of the tower that matters, it's how clean the windows are.

:lol:

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 pm

uNka faRty olways
pollyshin his winderS
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:37 am

Nef Yoo BlackBeard wrote:uNka faRty olways
pollyshin his winderS
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bad Boy, Filthy Boy, get back in thee Bilge!

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Oh dear. Nef Yoo's being notty again. Tut tut... :haha:

I have a copy of Anno 2070, which i'm aching to give a test spin (metaphorically speaking), but as my graphics card is still playing up, and I have things which demand the attention of my currently limited money (I don't go out a lot, so don't criticise me when I do :moon: ), so it has remained installed but untouched. I've not played any of the series before, but this one has some good reviews, so I was willing to give it a go. As you may know, I have a passion for sim/god (read FSM) games, so anything new is always looked forward to.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm

I am still trying to work out how to get onto Steam...I've tried burning coal and condensing the steam in a large boiler.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 am

black bart wrote:I am still trying to work out how to get onto Steam...I've tried burning coal and condensing the steam in a large boiler.

This is where ye be goin' wrong, young Bart. You need to put your computer on top of the kettle first! :haha:

There's a version for Mac and Windows, which you download and install. You make an account, and voyla. You're all ready to go.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

It's slightly more complicated because I am trying to access Steam through my PS3. There is a support page so I'll have a look at that.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”