The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Clifford » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Anyone played Mirror's Edge? Bought it off Steam for £3(hook, line, sinker) earlier this week. Truely (and almost literally) blown away.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:59 pm

I tried watching Law & Order SVU with Ashley a couple weekends ago, but the fancy HD TV has no DVD player and my computers are slow, so we went to my room to use the PlayStation 2. It asked us for the parental control password which I didn't know, so we couldn't watch it there either. Drag.

Anyway, just now I looked up an article on how to reset the password, and it worked. I discovered, however, that the video signal would jump in and out. For a long time, many years, almost since we first got it, the picture has faded in and out of orangeishness when playing movies, but now it was completely cutting out. I became concerned because I like playing PS1 and PS2 games.

So I stuck in Twisted Metal: Small Brawl. Played fine. Took it out, put in Final Fantasy X. That played fine too, which surprised me, because PS2 games use the DVD format as far as I know.

So lesson is, for some reason, the Playstation 2 uses different audio-visual software thingamabobs for DVDs than it does for video games. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

I haven't tested it with a CD, but my computers play those fine.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:01 am

Still haven't managed to get onto Steam.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

black bart wrote:Still haven't managed to get onto Steam.

I'm glad to see you fine after your car crash at 200mph in your formula one car. :shocked: It is odd that Steam's not working on your PS3. I take it technical support are useless?

ADoS, some PS2s are known for DVD playback faults, unfortunately. Mine played fine for ages, and then died. My second one also went a little funny, but by then i'd got a proper DVD player, and was heavily into MMOs and other PC games.

Clifford wrote:Anyone played Mirror's Edge? Bought it off Steam for £3(hook, line, sinker) earlier this week. Truely (and almost literally) blown away.

Clifford, I have it on PS3, but haven't put it in to play yet. I've also been told by other people that it's really good, but it didn't sell well. It was only £5 when I got it. I really should play more games, but I seem to either not have the inclination these days, or am just too busy.
Roland Deschain - Half prophet, half gunslinger, all Pastafarian!

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:29 pm

I decided to put down Pokemon. I'm simply not enjoying it. I play it for ten to fifteen minutes, then I get bored and turn it off. I don't get to use all the Pokemon I like because it would take ages to play through the game. Pokemon Sapphire was much better balanced for playing with many Pokemon than Platinum and White, but alas, my cartridge battery died near the end of the game so I couldn't use time-based features, and I gave up.

But on a related note, Ashley finished making my Bellsprout doll a few weekends ago! His name is Floppy! I love him!

I now have all six of my favorites! Floppy the Bellsprout, Paasifine the Chansey, Archimedes the Poliwhirl, Astor the Koffing, Virgowolsz the Staryu, and Honkerston the Nosepass!

----------

I've now decided to play Blades of Exile scenarios instead. I'm starting with "Pilgrimage To Thrakos", made by a friend of mine, Sylae Corell.

BoE seems to run mostly fine in Wine (on Linux) apart from a few minor graphical glitches. It's been a long time since I played BoE, so I struggled to remember how I designed my party. I lost all my save files when I reinstalled my OSes, so I have to start from scratch.

I've had a lot of fun with BoE over the years, and there's a ton of scenarios I haven't tried yet. Hopefully I'll have a good time.
[email protected]#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. [email protected]#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 am

I finally couldn't resist it (my colleague in work has been going on and on about the game)...I got Skyrim. My name is Bonehederix the Breton and I have killed two dragons, run away from three trolls, been hit up into the air by a giant and had a fight with a woman.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Roland Deschain wrote:
Clifford wrote:Anyone played Mirror's Edge? Bought it off Steam for £3(hook, line, sinker) earlier this week. Truely (and almost literally) blown away.

Clifford, I have it on PS3, but haven't put it in to play yet. I've also been told by other people that it's really good, but it didn't sell well. It was only £5 when I got it. I really should play more games, but I seem to either not have the inclination these days, or am just too busy.

A shame! It's quite a short game, and can be played is short bursts (although it has a habit of hooking you). Give it a go whenever you have the time, you won't be dissapoint.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:55 am

I've got the knack of dragon killing now...hide behind a rock and let your companions do the hard work, then at the last minute run up behind the dragon when he's nearly dead and finish him off with a few sneaky blows from behind.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

^ So you're taking dragons from behind now? :lech: Be pleased I didn't comment on "sneaky blows".

^^ I know I should give it a go, as it looks really good, but other things always seem to get in the way.

Talking of games getting in the way, I picked up Little Big Planet again, and started to work towards my platinum trophy. With the aid of three other friends, I have 100% of the prize bubbles now, have been successful in getting all but the Play (play every level without dying), Create (your levels hearted by 50+ people, you hearted by 30+ people), Share (play 150 community levels, tag 50 community levels, heart 10 community levels), and Socialite (play a level with 3 people who aren't on your friends' list) trophies. "Play" needs me to ace one level, which contains an electrified hamster wheel of death that is peeving me off, "Create" I just need the player hearts for (shouldn't take long when I initiate the process), "Share" will take time, but i'm working towards it, and "Socialite" just needs a level that doesn't have some ass leaving before the end.

I also started playing Little Big Planet 2, which has not only better graphics than LBP1, but some really cool game mechanics, such as a grappling hook, and a cream cake gun (more awesome than it sounds, although you can't fire them into your mouth). I've been through the levels that need 2 players to get the prize bubbles with a friend in Germany, but we're currently waiting on a mutual friend in Germany to come online, and his sister, to get the 3 and 4 player stuff.

"Since Alexander Pearce escaped, over 250 people have disappeared in the Tasmanian wilderness. No remains have ever been found." - Dying Breed

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:29 pm

:cry:

My PS2 has ceased to function! It no longer reads discs.

I have a PS1 that works. I got it at a yard sale. I can play most of my Final Fantasies, but not Final Fantasy X. I can play the good installments of the Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot series, but not Ratchet & Clank, which I still haven't made any real progress in. I'll never get to complete Silpheed, one of my first PS2 games which is really cool. I haven't beaten the female story of EverGrace either.

My brother has a PlayStation3. He sold his Wii to my sister so he could buy one. It lasted just barely long enough for the two-year warranty to expire, then bit it. Now he has a BrickStation 3.

It's not fair! Electronics should last forever! :furious:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:09 am

^ :lol:

Actually it's not funny at all...have you tried picking a PS3 up on eBay?

Another dragon bit the dust and I looted his corpse for goodies. Unfortunately dragon bones and scales are heavy and now my character can't run! I think the dragons are going to get their revenge.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

With what money? Remember, I have $230-$240ish to my name, and no source of income unless and until my Social Security comes through.

I suppose there are more important things to be concerned with than the PS2, though, like learning how to not be a lump.

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear of the loss of your PS2. When your money comes through, and it will eventually, you'll be able to get a brand new shiny one. Remember that the current PS3s do not do backwards compatibility with PS2 games, only PS1 games.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Then what's the point? I have a working PS1. :confused:

Roland Deschain
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Roland Deschain » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Then what's the point? I have a working PS1. :confused:

If you want PS3 games, then that's cool. If not, then a shiny new PS2 will suffice. :zen:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”