The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Rainswept » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:00 am

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:54 pm

I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:26 pm

I've been playing a ported version of Doom (The Ultimate Doom, the 4-game version of the original). It takes me back 20 years to when I had to go and buy an uprated graphics card that had 256K of memory in order to run it properly.

I might have slipped back into the Doom-iverse a little too far. We took the dogs for a walk out in the country today, and whilst we were waiting for a car and caravan to pass so we could cross the road, I found myself thinking "Rocket launcher or BFG-9000? Button 5 or button 7?"
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"I linked the number of MPs to the number of votes. If you'd done a real Science degree you'd understand sticking to the point." ~ daftbeaker.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 am

Anyone seen the new game Steel Ocean? Its a rip of World of Warships... but has subs! Low user base right now but shows potential. Swashbucklin' a plenty there be!
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:21 am

The most recent game's I've finished:

Journey (PS4)
Mad Max (PS4)
Witcher 3 (PS4)
Walking Dead (PS3)
Guild of Dungeoneering (PC/Steam)
Shadows of Mordor (PC/Steam)
Diablo 3 (PS3)
Skyrim (PS3)
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:02 am

Out of sheer boredom, whilst waiting for the release of the few new forthcoming games that interest me, I've returned reluctantly to World of Warcraft.

This forum isn't nearly active enough to warrant forming an in-game FSM clan, but it's amusing to imagine the image of a bunch of MMO players on a raid, with their outfits transmogrified into pirate attire.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09 pm

haha. I stopped playing WoW when Wrath came out. In my opinion, they dummed the game down so much at that point they were giving epic gear away in normal dungeons, people were PuGing 40 man instances, mount levels had been lowered, things were just.... getting lame. I was mad at how hard I had to work through previous versions to get all Epiced out, and scrubs could just now PuG everything and get it easy as hell. Ruffled my feathers, and I quit. Never looked back.

But ever since that game, I have bounced around from game to game... never quite feeling that addiction. That World of Warcrack type feel. Haha.
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:40 am

I grok in fullness. In this particular game I'd packed up and left by the time I'd reached level 80 (well shy of 'tier anything') during my first foray into WoW, because I'd quickly soured for a variety of reasons, some of which overlap yours. Level 80, as you know, is no big deal in WoW, and can be done in just a few days if you rush, and a week if you dont ... normally, I stick with something til the bitter end. I left DCUO for similar reasons.

I'll probably burn out again by the time I hit 60 on my second foray, and I'm already close to that.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:12 pm

Roving Punster wrote: Level 80, as you know, is no big deal in WoW, and can be done in just a few days if you rush, and a week if you dont ... normally, I stick with something til the bitter end...

The straw that broke the camels back for me, and what has caused me never to return, was when they were straight up giving away lvl 80 characters when the 90 expansion dropped. I was like... ?! SEriouslY?! They never have to make it through Barrens chat?! Unfair! :cry:

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:40 pm

Doing the Macarena ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erid_ojBXn0

Edit: I was bored, so I taught myself the basics of video capture on the PC.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:24 pm

Boooooooo, HORDE FOR LIFE

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Ok, I'll admit that many of the non-human race wimmen (Succubi in particular) are LOT better in bed, but Humans (on average) are prettier and genetically compatable. :lol:

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Just started playing the re-release of Blood and Gold: Caribbean. It is based off the Mount & Blade: Warband engine. Plays exactly like it except... PIRATES! The original company that released it flubbed it up so bad they folded but another company picked it up... read through the MOUNDS AND MOUNDS of complaints and rectified almost everything about it and they are continuing to improve it. They dropped a hotfix a day after they released it when people complained about a certain quest and other minor things, so the devs are really working hard to do it right. My guess is, they're Pastafarians at heart and want to give the world another awesome game like Sid Meyers: Pirates! Which I also still often play. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :fsm_yarr:

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:25 am

I've revisited Path of Exile lately. It is basically a free to play Diablo, and the f2p model is very generous. So if you want to hack monsters and pay nothing for the pleasure, have a look.

If shooting at ships is more your preference, another f2p game is world of warships. It got some problems but it is also fun.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:05 pm

gronank wrote:I've revisited Path of Exile lately. It is basically a free to play Diablo, and the f2p model is very generous. So if you want to hack monsters and pay nothing for the pleasure, have a look.

If shooting at ships is more your preference, another f2p game is world of warships. It got some problems but it is also fun.

Tried PoE, don't like the controls too much, but the game seemed interesting enough... WoWS however I have played.... as I have played WoT. I find Steel Ocean better in the warship genre though. Its a cookie cutter punch of WoWS but they fixed a lot of things.... namely the battleship play, making them more like the floating artillery they are in RL. Carriers were fixed too. You no longer are bound by what you chose PRE BATTLE (read before you know who you're going against ). You can actually launch and recover various types of aircraft in varying number, kinda like a carrier would do in REAL LIFE. lol.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”