The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby Roving Punster » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:36 pm

BTW, if anyone feels the urge to dip a toe back into WoW, and lacks a guild, my friend and I are sole proprietors of a formerly large guild whose membership has dwindled back down to just the two of us. Plenty of perks and banked gear. Nice to be able to upgrade to all max-sized bags when creating new characters, for example.

So, as a minor favor to established FSM fora members, if you need a WoW guild, pm me.
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:39 am

Roving Punster wrote:BTW, if anyone feels the urge to dip a toe back into WoW, and lacks a guild, my friend and I are sole proprietors of a formerly large guild whose membership has dwindled back down to just the two of us. Plenty of perks and banked gear. Nice to be able to upgrade to all max-sized bags when creating new characters, for example.

So, as a minor favor to established FSM fora members, if you need a WoW guild, pm me.

I wish i could RP , but the mouse work with that game gave me carpal tunnel at the.wrist and elbow .
I can only play turn based games now .
How about Heroes of M and M 3 sometime ?
Chess ? 2 , 5 , 10 or unlimited time is good for me , I haven't played for some time .
When i finally went 5 games undefeated against a former provincial college champ , I refused to play him again so he could fume .
It's been 14 years since that glorious match and I still stick it to him every opportunity i get harr harr harr de harr harr .
Yeah Wilson , I , little ole me , kicked , your , smug , buttocks .

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:46 am

I've never really been a big fan of chess. My reason is that the level of determinism (for both openings and closings) built into the nature of the pieces and the small size of the board tends to elevate memorization over improvization at high enough skill levels (or powerful enough computers) for the game to actually matter. It sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me, back when I first starting to take an interest, and I never really looked back.

My other problem is that I've never liked adversarial competition ... I much prefer games in which people either compete against themselves or work together, rather than attack each other. If that makes sense. In other words, I prefer PVE instead of PVP.

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Hey, Chow Mein! I like HoMM3. I suck at it really badly so you might beat me! When and how do we connect?
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:13 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Hey, Chow Mein! I like HoMM3. I suck at it really badly so you might beat me! When and how do we connect?

NO WAY !

I'll speak to my bro-in-law , he knows how to set it up .
I haven't played online since '02 and have forgotten how we all got together for it .

My highest score against the computer was 498 . Sorta cheated though .......

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:29 am

Ugh, just glancing at the pixilated graphics for that gave me heartburn.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297000/

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:Hey, Chow Mein! I like HoMM3. I suck at it really badly so you might beat me! When and how do we connect?

NO WAY !

I'll speak to my bro-in-law , he knows how to set it up .
I haven't played online since '02 and have forgotten how we all got together for it .

My highest score against the computer was 498 . Sorta cheated though .......
Roving Punster wrote:I've never really been a big fan of chess. My reason is that the level of determinism (for both openings and closings) built into the nature of the pieces and the small size of the board tends to elevate memorization over improvization at high enough skill levels (or powerful enough computers) for the game to actually matter. It sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me, back when I first starting to take an interest, and I never really looked back.

My other problem is that I've never liked adversarial competition ... I much prefer games in which people either compete against themselves or work together, rather than attack each other. If that makes sense. In other words, I prefer PVE instead of PVP.

Yeah , in the late eighties , i found computer chess programs to be daff gits , defeated them easily , a fews years later though , an old matey loaded a game for me that was faster when i complained about how slow the comp played .
The program won the match : 999 comp , 1 me .

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:06 am

The program won the match : 999 comp , 1 me .

Chess isn't scored that way (number of moves needed and the margin in material value of pieces captured), but I grok in fullness.

Here's a mind bender of a thought for you ... computers will eventually become powerful enough to compute all possible final outcomes resulting for each response to white's first move, and then store all those results in a massive database. From that point onwards, computers wont even need to compute in order to win ... they just use the database to keep the sequence of moves and counters on the path to victory for whichever color they're playing. In other words, the database of endgames will grow ad infinitum until it reached startgame. How depressing, is that ?

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Baloney, Roving Punster! The graphics are the best part! It's such a beautiful game, like a fine painting. A lot of "3D" graphics look like shit. They're realistic nowadays but realism isn't necessarily beauty. The music is beautiful too.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:58 pm

The mixed reviews is what gives me heartburn... lol. That is the first place I check after I read the synopsis. If the community hates it, they'll let you know.
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:45 pm

HoMM3 still has a dedicated fanbase. The graphics aren't "flashy" so none of the n00b-gamers are going to like it. But it's a wonderful game.

gronank
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby gronank » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:00 pm

The steam version of HoMM3 isn't great. For one, you don't get the expansions.

I think the recomended place to get it is here:http://www.gog.com/game/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition
It's cheaper with the expansions included, at the expense of slightly worse graphics quality.
Disclaimer: Anything I say on topics of Politics, Economics, Pychology, History, really anything not concerned with the natural sciences and mathematics and especially topics concerning human behavior and/or thoughts, that is not associated with a proper reference is pure speculation on my part.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:20 am

Almighty Doer of Stuff wrote:HoMM3 still has a dedicated fanbase. The graphics aren't "flashy" so none of the n00b-gamers are going to like it. But it's a wonderful game.

Don't have to be a n00b to find the graphics underwhelming. Then again, I can remember playing for endless hours on a 1960's oscilloscope before I was old enough to understand electricity ... proof that for the right game, graphics are of minimal importance. IOW, point taken.

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Finally made it to level 100 in warcraft about a week or so ago ... been fleshing out my garrison and slowly upgrading my gear rating since.

I'll say one thing about WoW - unlike a lot of games out there, it has some decent endgame content.

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Roving Punster wrote:Finally made it to level 100 in warcraft about a week or so ago ... been fleshing out my garrison and slowly upgrading my gear rating since.

I'll say one thing about WoW - unlike a lot of games out there, it has some decent endgame content.

It's been around so long, basically EVERYONE that still plays is nothing BUT end-game... so they better. lol.
I'm still over here playing Fallout 4. I beat it with the Brotherhood of Steel and am now playing through differently. Can't decide between the Institute or the Railroad yet though. I wish I could just shoot everyone in the face and end the game myself as a Raider/Pirate. Wonder if I can... :drinking:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”