The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I just managed to get the boy out of his room for ten minutes in order to feed him. He says that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, to give it its full Sunday name, was made by a different company than the last Call of Duty, and the game play and interactivity is much better than its predecessor. As I understand it, The game relies more on the graphics power of the Xbox 360 than raw processing power, and this enables much bigger multiplayer games, but keeps network lag down, as there isn't so much information being transferred between individual players.

That sounds like you're a journalist for 'Game' magazine or something...just get Warhawk or Unreal Tournament so I can blast you out of the sky...

The Graphics power of the Xbox 360...raw processing power? :confused:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:45 am

Hi, my name is Roy and I'm a nerd. It's been 45 minutes since I last tested my server ping-response times. Excuse me, I just need to go and adjust the size of my pagefile...

If you can play Warhawk or Unreal Tournament on a clockwork laptop, I might just have a go. Otherwise you're out of luck.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Hi, my name is Roy and I'm a nerd. It's been 45 minutes since I last tested my server ping-response times. Excuse me, I just need to go and adjust the size of my pagefile...

If you can play Warhawk or Unreal Tournament on a clockwork laptop, I might just have a go. Otherwise you're out of luck.

You can afford £300 for a coffee machine (which I covet by the way) but you won't fork out £250 for a Playstation 3!!!!!! :furious:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:42 am

black bart wrote:You can afford £300 for a coffee machine (which I covet by the way) but you won't fork out £250 for a Playstation 3!!!!!! :furious:
The coffee machine was 'us' money. A PS3 would be 'me' money. 'Me' money has to be match-funded with 'she' money, which she will spend on lenses, such as this.

Anyway, I need a new bass amp, the boy wants to go on a walking trip to Spain with the school next year, we are going to need a new TV fairly soon, and Monkey is coming up next month. A PS3 is way down the list.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:07 am

Who the heck is Monkey? I think I need to let Capellini know you have Monkeys as friends!

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:50 am

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 am

I can't remember posting in that thread. :lol:

Happy Monkey indeed and have a Spanking good time.

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:40 pm

My game just told me to take a tea break. Seriously. Well, musn't disobey Nintendo...
(Mario & Luigi, Bowser's inside story. They have to sloooooowly "stimulate" Bowser. Mario and Luigi have to do it because Toadsworth's "instrument" was to small. I. am. not. making. this. up. (Admitedly I might have left out a few bits, but the double entendres were thick)
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:34 am

From BBC News: Games 'permit' virtual war crimes.
Auntie wrote:Video games depicting war have come under fire for flouting laws governing armed conflicts. Human rights groups played various games to see if any broke humanitarian laws that govern what is a war crime. The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings. It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions.
Do virtual characters have human rights? Discuss.

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:14 am

Roy Hunter wrote:Do virtual characters have human rights? Discuss.

You've played GTA haven't you Roy? :whistle:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 am

Come to think of it...I can't remember much use of The Geneva Convention in 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'.

Roy Hunter

Postby Roy Hunter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 am

Hell, I think I violated the Geneva Convention back when I was playing EA Golf on the Sega Megadrive. We took no prisoners.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:46 am

...and Super Mario's crimes against mushrooms, turtles and innocent fire breathing dragons are an abomination!

fueledbycoffee
Stripmeister

Postby fueledbycoffee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Just picked up Assassin's Creed II. Just watching my roommate playing, but I'm very, very impressed. Very much so with the setting. I much prefer the cultured, romantic Rennaisance-era Florence to the Chaotic, Crusades-era Middle East. It's far more immersive than the first game, and the character is more interesting. Will have to get back to you once I actually start playing.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:38 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Just picked up Assassin's Creed II. Just watching my roommate playing, but I'm very, very impressed. Very much so with the setting. I much prefer the cultured, romantic Rennaisance-era Florence to the Chaotic, Crusades-era Middle East. It's far more immersive than the first game, and the character is more interesting. Will have to get back to you once I actually start playing.

I recently read a review of that which was most impressive...much better than the original apparently. I now have five games queuing up behind Warhawk...

Something really funny happened on Warhawk the other night. The game takes it's name from the jet fighters which you fly. When you take off you can pick another person up and carry them but unfortunately they are a helpless passenger until you drop them off somewhere. I was flying around trying to avoid missiles and stuff not realising that I had a passenger...all of sudden I hear an American voice shouting: "I'M IN YOUR PLANE F***TARD!" By the time I dropped him at one of the bases he was so angry he blew my plane up! :haha:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”