The Video Games Thread

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: The Video Games Thread

Postby daftbeaker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:28 am

black bart wrote:I tried Koopa...kept sliding off the track. My best bet seems to be King Boo.

Grand Turismo is easy compared to this!

No wonder you're having trouble :moon:

The bigger racers take much, much longer to get up to speed.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:59 pm

I was playing Torchlight while procrastinating, spent a couple of hours messing around, then went to upgrade the gun I had and it backfired, removing all the enhancements I had on it. Now I need to do it again :furious:

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm

Preforming my personal christmas tradition on Runescape. Caroling. Of course, you can't actualy sing on runescape, so you just have to post the lyrics. There's also no paste function for chat, so you have to type everything out. I just show up at people's parties and start posting, without telling anyone what I'm doing. It's actualy kind of fun because of the reactions you get from people. This year I figured out how to make money off it. Every so often while singing I would say "100 coins for a request, 200 to make me stop" (That's not a lot of money on runescape) Mostly people ignored me, a few were interested, and a few were yelling for me to stop. It didn't occur to some guy to simply put me on his "ignore list" And he started banging his head against the wall untill finally he gave in and handed me the coins to make me stop. Then I left without a fight. I think I'll do this some more.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Why aren't you in school??????

:furious: grumble, grumble, grumble, idiot superintendent. :furious:
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:13 am

That's the trouble with having your parents on here...that's why we don't see much of PG...his mum wont let him near the computer.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:44 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:Preforming my personal christmas tradition on Runescape. Caroling. Of course, you can't actualy sing on runescape, so you just have to post the lyrics. There's also no paste function for chat, so you have to type everything out. I just show up at people's parties and start posting, without telling anyone what I'm doing. It's actualy kind of fun because of the reactions you get from people. This year I figured out how to make money off it. Every so often while singing I would say "100 coins for a request, 200 to make me stop" (That's not a lot of money on runescape) Mostly people ignored me, a few were interested, and a few were yelling for me to stop. It didn't occur to some guy to simply put me on his "ignore list" And he started banging his head against the wall untill finally he gave in and handed me the coins to make me stop. Then I left without a fight. I think I'll do this some more.

Does runescape not have macros you can assign to automatically make your character say a prescripted song? See, this is why everyone is playing WoW.

Me and GF have been playing Super Mario Bros. Wii a lot. The 2-player co-op mode is fun and interesting; certain parts are so much easier with it, and some become downright impossible.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:21 am

The gf's mom bought that for one of her daughters, but it was... "borrowed" by... lets call her "LovesDrugsAndWillStealToGetThem"...

:furious:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 pm

PKMKII wrote:Does runescape not have macros you can assign to automatically make your character say a prescripted song? See, this is why everyone is playing WoW.

There are no macros programmed into the game. Of course people have programed tons of macros on their own, however macroers get banned in short order. Jagex has taken ridiculous measures to eliminate macroing in the name of this funny thing called "fairness" If you want to get ahead in the game, you put effort into it.

They probably wouldn't have such a big problem with it, but it was a massive industry in the game. People made programs to open new accounts on a massive scale. They churned out armies of identical, default characters with ranom letters and number for names. Armed with nothing but hatchets, they they swarmed around every yew tree. They worked all day, roboticaly cutting logs and carrying them the the bank. These massive amounts of logs would be sold for massive amounts of gold. Then, real life people would charge real life money to other people for this gold. It gave people who had money and low morals an unfair advantage, and Jagex decided to stop it, which they managed to do through trade restrictions to prevent the transactions of this ill-gotten wealth.

Jagex talks about the problem on their site here. Because of this mess, macroing in any form is not tolerated, no mater how innocently it might be used.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:57 am

I'm going to install Bioshock after the January exams, it looks fantastic! Next on the list is Fallout 3. Has anyone here played the Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion? Overall a very good game - great game play, especially the magic. It was rather glitchy however and I found both the moral choices and cast very limited, they probably splashed out most of their money on hiring Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Clifford wrote:Patrick Stewart

Sir Patrick, if you don't mind.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Clifford wrote:I'm going to install Bioshock after the January exams, it looks fantastic! Next on the list is Fallout 3. Has anyone here played the Elder Scrolls IV, Oblivion? Overall a very good game - great game play, especially the magic. It was rather glitchy however and I found both the moral choices and cast very limited, they probably splashed out most of their money on hiring Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean.

Bioshock is pretty good, I tended to get bored towards the end though when it was all much the same. Fallout 3 is awesome, if you haven't got it yet get the game of the year edition with all the DLC included. It's essentially Oblivion with guns and a sensible levelling system.

I didn't think Oblivion was glitchy, it always worked fine for me. The levelling system was a pain though and the cast was a bit limited, it was a bit disconcerting to be talking to some old beggar and she'd suddenly start speaking like a young woman when you asked a certain question :paranoid:

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 am

I've just started playing Bioshock. I like it but it's the most complicated game I've ever played...I keep getting confused between all the different powers I can wield with my left hand.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm

If only that were real ... :whistle:

For the moment it's some good old fashioned Rome:Total War.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

Clifford
Humble Hermit

Postby Clifford » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 am

Quick query everyone. Bioshock installed fine, and it runs great - until you get in the bathysphere and the movie starts, at which point the game crashes. Do any of you have an idea on how to fix this? I'd worship you forever. My laptop's processor is an Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz 1.50 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 32 bit operating system, Vista Home Premium. The Graphics card is a ATI Mobility Radeon 2600. I believe that's enough to run the game properly.
Clifford

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen

daftbeaker

Postby daftbeaker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 am

How's it looking? I know when I first tried to run it it didn't like my graphics card and I needed a bodge job to get it running on an SM2b card.

Beyond that I haven't got a clue, have you installed the latest patches?

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”