What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

black bart
Resident Weevil

echo

Postby black bart » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Black bart wrote:

Anyone read any of 'The Stainless Steel Rat' series by Harry Harrison?

Yes, actually I've read the Stainless Steel Rat books by harry harrison...really good those.

Sometimes I feel so alone (echo, echo, echo....)
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Connorc6291
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Connorc6291 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:57 am

i'm reading Catcher in the Rye. Amusing, although his train of though gets derailed every page.
Peace, Love and Unity

RAmen
Although the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.-V

kat
Fusilli Fuselier

Postby kat » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:51 am

Now it's Wright's The Golden Age.

I've been in a pain induced state of Narcoticolepsy (that's when you have bouts of narcotic use, roffle) for the past few days, due to an acute strep infection of the right maxillary sinus.

I look like I got hit by a baseball bat.

That being said, I'm not sure the narcotics aren't helping with this book.
Do not do in public that which you do not which commented upon by the public.

Swatopluk
Chef Shaman of Hauro Pasta

Postby Swatopluk » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:12 pm

Just finished Wintersmith (Terry Pratchett).

Tiffany Aching has run (or actually danced) into real trouble an now has to deal with the wintersmith. Additionally she becomes a crucial (though not really willing) part in an intrigue between Granny Weatherwax and Mrs. Earwig after her mentoring witch had her final appointment.
She discovers the importance of Boffo for modern witchcraft.
And of course the Nac Mac Feegle and their new cheesy companion Horace have their part to play (Will Rob Anybody master the final challenge?).
Onward noodly pirates!
Bactrian Moose

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:37 am

Just started the first Book of Amber, by Zelazny. I bought all 10 in one whole volume, but I'm not sure I'll burn through them all, straight through.

Martin's "A Clash of Kings" is calling to me.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Finrod
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Finrod » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:56 am

"The Grapple" by Harry Turtledove
"The avalanche has begun, the pebbles do not get a vote." Ambassador Kosh of the Vorlon Empire

"The universe is made up of three elements, matter, energy, and enlightened self interest."

Duke
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Duke » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:29 pm

I just finished The Salmon of Doubt (Douglas Adam) again, and I'm looking through my library to see what I'll bite into next...

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

Connorc6291
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Connorc6291 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Just finished off Of Mice and Men (so sad...), now I'm on to Trinity. I'm pretty excited to read that book, as it is my namesake. My sister got named for a old childhood friend of my mother's,I got named from the Irish terrorist in the book my father was reading.....

I'll take the Irish terrorist any day :fsm_ninja:
Peace, Love and Unity

RAmen

Although the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power.-V

St John the Blasphemist
Lord of Linguini

Postby St John the Blasphemist » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:14 am

Griffith Review 7: The Lure of Fundamentalism
Ed. Julianne Schultz
Published by Griffith University & ABC Books
ISSN 1448-2924

Collection of essays, reports, etc. that attempt to explain the causes of fundamentalist/fanatical religious belief - Christian, Islamic, and others.

Blurb:
Fundamentalism is the new ethos of our age, conforming long-held beliefs and values with simple, black and white solutions. From war in the Middle East, and terrorism, to the revival of religion in politics in the United States and Australia, the challenges of this new ideology are unsettling. The compelling writers in The Lure of Fundamentalism reveal with stunning insight why and how fundamentalism has become the new f-word and how it may affect us all.

Duke

Postby Duke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:22 am

I'm now reading:

Get Shorty,
Me! By Jimmy (Big Boy) Valente (as told to Garrison Keillor)
War And Peace,
Cujo,
and Julius Caesar.

It's a day in the life. :D

Duke
"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

--Mark Twain

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Friedrich Nietzsche

"If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever."

--Woody Allen

anthrobabe
Lord of Linguini
Location: Waiting to move where the Gorillas are, the ones without cell phones and cars!

Postby anthrobabe » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:31 pm

"Immigration and Crime; Race,Ethnicity, and Violence" edited by Ramiro Martinez Jr and Abel Valenzuela Jr.
a collection of essays
My mantra
Just save the farkin Gorillas will you! They don't have spell check- but they do need YOU/US...
www.gorillafund.org

I Ned Speil Cheek!!!!!!!!

I'm *not* the lowest rank on this ship. What about the laboratory mice? I tell them something and they jump straight to it. "Yes, Mr. Lister Sir, eek,eek."

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:29 pm

THIS THREAD!!!!

sorry, it had to be said.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Duke

Postby Duke » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:48 am

Also, I forgot to mention, I'm reading the New Yorker Book of Poems. It's a good ensemble of books I've got going here.

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

Warlord of Elephants
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Warlord of Elephants » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:31 am

Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell
Sin WoE.
"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure."

I devoured my 'good' twin in utero

"Doctor Evil! I didn't spend six years in evil medical school to be called "Mister," thank you very much."

Duke

Postby Duke » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:46 pm

I'm reading War & Peace again. Let's see if it will make more sense this time. :wink: :roll:

Duke

--Mark Twain

--Friedrich Nietzsche

--Woody Allen

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”