What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Taidje Khan » Thu May 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Black Like Me, John Howard Griffin
R.I.P. George Carlin

FSMMA record: 19-4-0

"My head is bloodied, but unbowed."

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 am

Zankou 2.0 wrote:Max Brooks: The Zombie Survival Guide

So am I.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Taidje Khan » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 am

Wanna cyber?
R.I.P. George Carlin

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Taidje Khan » Fri May 30, 2008 4:02 am

WHAT?? FUCK--NO! NOOOO!
R.I.P. George Carlin

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri May 30, 2008 4:03 am

Taidje Khan wrote:Wanna cyber?

How 'bout NOOOO!

Taidje Khan
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Taidje Khan » Fri May 30, 2008 4:43 am

Shut the fuck up! I'm having a problem! GODDAMNIT!
R.I.P. George Carlin

EarthRise
Hox God

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby EarthRise » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 pm

Darwin is too goddamn slow and tedious, so I'm juggling my reading between Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker (which is actually not very good; must have been written for non-biologists) and H2G2 (which is what I'm reading with great fervor).
[...] the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory.
-Darwin

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:49 pm

Currently reading an overlooked american classic.
The Grapes of Wrath.

At the end of 14 chapters.

Surprised, first off, that it appears (so far) to not be a sci-fi "nature's revenge"-type affair.

Prose is very engaging...Hooked immediately and consistently on seeing what happens next.
descriptive passage are (IMO) overblown and often over-ornate-in-attempt-to-evoke-emotion.
Descriptions of rural people's 'ways and means' seem condescending and pretentious.
(20th century "classics" were made so by ivy-league white elitists, right?...who fancied themselves more sensitive and enlightened than regular folk.?)

Quite heavy-handed, as well, do I find the marxist proselytizing.
(agree with slant or not, if you "see" the nudges, the artifice is deficient, it is now not a novel-with-a-theme, it is a tract-diguised-as-a-story.)

I still intend to finish it.
but my eyes are straining from the impulse to roll.

DancingKitty
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby DancingKitty » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Edited to edit out an edit....
---------------

Consider the era, Ken.

Also consider that the 'intellectual classes' of that time were just beginning to accept the idea that they, too, could be members of the oppressor class. There was some deliberate guilt-induction written into that book, mostly to nag the genteel and moderately benign upper middle class into recognizing the humanity of the "white trash" they so carefully patronized.

Steinbeck worked the land with those people as a kid.

Now, counter that with either Cannery Row or Tortilla Flat so that you get a better scope of his style.

(Sorry, once a teacher, always a teacher.)

Me, I'm reading some popular trash by Dean Koontz. I forget which one, they run together.
Meow.

Hqrsie
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Hqrsie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:01 am

Just finished reading "Life of Pi"

I enjoyed it
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere committing evil deeds, an it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:59 am

EarthRise wrote:Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker (which is actually not very good; must have been written for non-biologists)

Started it, got bored, stopped about sixty pages in. Has some interesting points though.

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:06 am

DancingKitty wrote:Edited to edit out an edit....
---------------

Consider the era, Ken.

Also consider that the 'intellectual classes' of that time were just beginning to accept the idea that they, too, could be members of the oppressor class. There was some deliberate guilt-induction written into that book, mostly to nag the genteel and moderately benign upper middle class into recognizing the humanity of the "white trash" they so carefully patronized.

Steinbeck worked the land with those people as a kid.

Now, counter that with either Cannery Row or Tortilla Flat so that you get a better scope of his style.

(Sorry, once a teacher, always a teacher.)

Me, I'm reading some popular trash by Dean Koontz. I forget which one, they run together.

So this steinbeck feller, he was like, what...a compulsive eater?
On a lifelong diet?
Just plain hungry?

anyway, my reading has been curtailed mightily from my younger days' level....I now only read a few books a year, and only then when they catch my eye in a thrift store or garage sale.

May have trouble finding either of those other titles you mentioned...I did see the movie "cannery row" as a young child, and remember little about it...Didn't know it was a steinbeck novel....

If his novels all have such an obvious political agenda, I would feel manipulated, and refuse to enjoy them.
Not that I necessarily disagree with that agenda, or parts of it... but I would rather read Vonnegut, who always let the reader make the leap, and entertained you whether you got the message or not...that is genius, IMO. Hunter Thompson was also entertaining, as he lampooned american "values", no?

Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Moral Minority » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:19 pm

I am going to start Thus Spoke Zarathustra sometime this week.

DancingKitty
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby DancingKitty » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 pm

ken worley wrote:So this steinbeck feller, he was like, what...a compulsive eater?
On a lifelong diet?
Just plain hungry?

anyway, my reading has been curtailed mightily from my younger days' level....I now only read a few books a year, and only then when they catch my eye in a thrift store or garage sale.

May have trouble finding either of those other titles you mentioned...I did see the movie "cannery row" as a young child, and remember little about it...Didn't know it was a steinbeck novel....

If his novels all have such an obvious political agenda, I would feel manipulated, and refuse to enjoy them.
Not that I necessarily disagree with that agenda, or parts of it... but I would rather read Vonnegut, who always let the reader make the leap, and entertained you whether you got the message or not...that is genius, IMO. Hunter Thompson was also entertaining, as he lampooned american "values", no?

I'm a lifelong Vonnegut reader/fan/sometimes correspondent. He was more contemporary that other writers that started at the name time, and stayed contemporary as he aged. My three letters from him are the treasures of my lifetime.

Now, you gotta remember, Hunter was crazy. Majorly batshit crazy, but a very acute observer of the American form of insanity. I'm of the belief that his craziness was, indeed a response to the insanity he perceived. (My not-husband grew up and went to school with Hunter's youngest brother. Hunter was crazy way back then...but also quite brilliant. Not fond of the cops, and my NH's Dad was a top cop in Louisville. Hunter was the neighborhood "bad example".)

Steinbeck's style, like Saroyan's, is heavily influenced by the differences in socially "acceptable" themes of the times. WWII really did provide a cultural turning point in American arts and literature. The food imagery in both is often a veiled sexual imagery instead. One hunger for another...the prudish American public really didn't want to admit to sex being a part of life prior to the early 1940's, at least not in popular literature!!

How can you live without books? Where's the closest library?
----------

Still reading the Koontz thing, but spent last night reading the new issue of Esquire. Excellent piece on bigotry.
http://www.esquire.com/features/bigotry-0608
Meow.

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:04 am

The Graphic Artists Guild: Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines.

It really is an eye-opener for me for the prices. Really informative. I got it off Amazon because I wasn't going to pay membership for a damn book.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”