What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

User avatar
Cpt Celle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Antwerpen
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Cpt Celle » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:41 pm

How the mind works by Steve what's his name... Gonna take some time.
Sanity is in numbers.

User avatar
Cricket
Bucatini Buccanneer
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Cricket » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:11 am

Night Siege, about a bunch of well-documented UFO sightings on the east coast in the eighties, by some guys I never heard of and two of who's names I can't pronounce anyway.

Also reading a collection of Daphne DeMaurier horror-thriller type stories, the name of which escapes me. I'm always reading at least two books, one I keep in the car for slow bank lines and waiting at McDonalds's.
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,
But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,
(Kipling)

User avatar
ken worley
King of the Pervs
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Fortress of Squalitude

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ken worley » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 am

Cricket wrote:Night Siege, about a bunch of well-documented UFO sightings on the east coast in the eighties, by some guys I never heard of and two of who's names I can't pronounce anyway.

Also reading a collection of Daphne DeMaurier horror-thriller type stories, the name of which escapes me. I'm always reading at least two books, one I keep in the car for slow bank lines and waiting at McDonalds's.



Oh.


So you're the one...

..Who I have to honk at when the line ahead of you pulls out, and you moveth not....

*sharpens length of 5/8ths rebar, puts under front seat.*
Image

User avatar
Edd
Stripmeister
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Edd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 am

ken worley wrote:My favorite bit was when Dirk visited the mental hospital to se Odin.

...And was given a tour of the facility, and "shown" the girl who repeated the NYSE stock ticker exactly, 24 hours after the fact, and the other (child?) who contemporaneously said every single word with some stranger from missouri, usa, or someplace...


It was Dustin Hoffman.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

User avatar
Xi the Tolerant
Ziti Zealot
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:44 am
Location: Um... here? Where else is there to be?
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Xi the Tolerant » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:14 pm

ken worley wrote:I actually wish he'd have divided his time with less HGTTG*, and more Dirk Gently.


Ha I've read those books twice and also enjoyed the unfinished one in The Salmon of Doubt. The only thing I want to read is The Last Chance to See...

To lazy to go back and quote it but thanks for the heads up on the Pratchett book Turtle.
Nothing is Impossible...

And if you believe in one of the multiple universe theories, (don't ask me which I'm no expert... yet...) everything is the truth. Why can't FSM be the truth for this one?

and if you were wondering... The avatar is a thing I did for a graphics arts class I had once... The people are Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, and the Ninja from ask a ninja. Two of them are my heroes and one makes me laugh occasionally...

User avatar
Cricket
Bucatini Buccanneer
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Cricket » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:17 pm

So you're the one...

..Who I have to honk at when the line ahead of you pulls out, and you moveth not....


Not me...I moveth...I've got that "women can do three things at once" thing goin' on.

Used to drive John mad - I can read a book, watch TV, and eat more or less simultaneously. Talk, too... :D
Empusa's crew, so naked-new they may not face the fire,

But weep that they bin too small to sin to the height of their desire,

(Kipling)

User avatar
S'presso
Agnolini Admiral
Posts: 796
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby S'presso » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Fifth Business, started because I had to, kept reading because it was interesting.
However, I don't know if I can continue on without reading the trilogy or worse, not reading the trilogy and never knowing how it ended.
Look! A new sig.
Blaaaaag.

User avatar
Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Wawizzle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:10 am

I just finished "The Theory of Almost Everything" this morning. I will now being "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins.
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
Posts: 24540
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:28 am

Wawizzle wrote:I just finished "The Theory of Almost Everything" this morning. I will now being "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins.


"The Theory of Almost Everything" will be the ruin of me because after reading it I want to know more about the stuff covered in it. I am attempting to read 'Quantum - A guide for the Perplexed' by Jim Al-Khalili...not a fitting book for a Pirate I hear you say but I disagree, I often feel I've taken two paths at the same time when I come out of The Admiral Benbow.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

User avatar
ken worley
King of the Pervs
Posts: 3250
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:10 pm
Location: Fortress of Squalitude

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ken worley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:38 am

Only book I've really enjoyed recently was called "Tortilla Curtain" by T.C. Boyle.
But then, I like mexicans more than I do yups.
Not just a fish-in-a-barrel mockery of a cartoon type, though.
Some interesting subtext and metaphor to make me feel clever for spotting it.
Loathed to put it down when time came to go to work.


yup.
Image

User avatar
black bart
Resident Weevil
Posts: 24540
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby black bart » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:05 pm

ken worley wrote:Only book I've really enjoyed recently was called "Tortilla Curtain" by T.C. Boyle.
But then, I like mexicans more than I do yups.
Not just a fish-in-a-barrel mockery of a cartoon type, though.
Some interesting subtext and metaphor to make me feel clever for spotting it.
Loathed to put it down when time came to go to work.


yup.


At the risk of sounding like Earl's brother Randy in 'My name is Earl'...a Tortilla Curtain would be really great because if you got hungry you could eat it.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

User avatar
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege
Posts: 7990
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am
Location: Francemouth

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:51 am

Coraline, by Neil Gaiman.
Read it in between exams today. I quite enjoyed it. I really want to find American Gods and Neverwhere, now.

Oh, and Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

User avatar
Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen
Posts: 2794
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Wawizzle » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:17 pm

black bart wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:I just finished "The Theory of Almost Everything" this morning. I will now being "The Ancestor's Tale" by Richard Dawkins.


"The Theory of Almost Everything" will be the ruin of me because after reading it I want to know more about the stuff covered in it. I am attempting to read 'Quantum - A guide for the Perplexed' by Jim Al-Khalili...not a fitting book for a Pirate I hear you say but I disagree, I often feel I've taken two paths at the same time when I come out of The Admiral Benbow.


I'm also extremely interested in quantum physics and mechanics. Would you recommend "Quantum - A Guide for the Perplexed"? Is it not for the average reader?
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

Dan (dat haole dude)
Stripmeister
Posts: 2181
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: under da wing of koloa nui..

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Painter in a Savage Land:The Strange Saga of the First European Artist in North America-Miles Harvey (who also wrote The Island of Lost Maps)
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM

User avatar
Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists
Posts: 8860
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: State of Disbelief

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Rainswept » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:35 am

Just finished Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. Really good and unique story, I've enjoyed all 3 novels I've read by this guy so far.
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.


Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests