What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:16 am

First one was fine, but as I said, I have read better.

Ubi - if you have not yet read Manifest Destiny (I'm not sure if it is early or particularly late Longyear), you should. It adds a lot of scope to Enemy Mine...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:08 am

War and Peace, Tolstoy.

I'll probably read To Kill a Mockingbird first, though. (Have to read it for English.) So let's go with that.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Charlie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:10 am

I've read it so I'll spoil it for you. Dumbledore dies.

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Tiger In The Well - Phillip pullman

Both very nice books.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:17 am

I find it somewhat ironic that you're reading a book about a gunslinger when your skills at slinging guns is... dubious. How many times did you shoot me yesterday?

Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Charlie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:32 am

Hey, I was purposely playing the role of the crazed trigger-happy maniac that time. That meant pressing the trigger endlessly and as fast as possible.

And add The Subtle Knife - Phillip Pullman (My favourite out of the three)

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:59 am

My favourite was the last one - more wordtime for those awesome wheeled mammoths, and the way Pullman described that flow of energy or whatever it was was rather enchanting.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 am

Charlie wrote:I've read it so I'll spoil it for you. Dumbledore dies.

The Gunslinger - Stephen King

Tiger In The Well - Phillip pullman

Both very nice books.

Do NOT read the Gunslinger series. That series was the single biggest literary disappointment of my life.

Edit: And you know, I think the second was "His Dark Materials".
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Charlie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm pretty sure the second book is called the Subtle Knife. His Dark Materials is the name of the trilogy. I haven't got very far through Gunslinger. Besides, I'm only reading the Dark Tower books so I can understand the Dark Tower comics later.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Charlie wrote:I'm pretty sure the second book is called the Subtle Knife. His Dark Materials is the name of the trilogy. I haven't got very far through Gunslinger. Besides, I'm only reading the Dark Tower books so I can understand the Dark Tower comics later.

I know, I was referring to the series intentionally, because it was the series in its entirety that I despised. The Golden Compass, the Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass. The second biggest literary disappointment of my life. In both cases, though, I was referring to the whole series, so I should have referred to 'the Dark Tower' rather than the Gunslinger. The first one was actually very good, it's the series as a whole that enrages me.

I was so disgusted by the last three books in the DT series, I don't even care that the comics exist. Maybe if you're coming from the other direction and have read the comics and want to know the background it's different, but seriously, if I ever met Stephen King, I think I'd kick him in the nuts.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Wawizzle
Shaman of Ramen

Postby Wawizzle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I say: READ the Dark Tower series. I thought the first book was horrible but the 2nd and onward really picked up (the 2nd in particular is my favorite).
“We are often hesitant to look at other faiths or to examine our own critically because we feel that, in doing so, we are being disloyal to our own deeply felt convictions. ... And yet our beliefs are not worth very much if they cannot stand up to any scrutiny.” -- James Livingston.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Wawizzle wrote:I say: READ the Dark Tower series. I thought the first book was horrible but the 2nd and onward really picked up (the 2nd in particular is my favorite).

NO! Don't listen to him, he's being paid to spread propaganda, it's all downhill from book 5 on!

Where is the snarling, slavering FSM when you need him??

~NoodleDemon~
Brewmeister

Postby ~NoodleDemon~ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Capellini wrote:
Wawizzle wrote:I say: READ the Dark Tower series. I thought the first book was horrible but the 2nd and onward really picked up (the 2nd in particular is my favorite).

NO! Don't listen to him, he's being paid to spread propaganda, it's all downhill from book 5 on!

Where is the snarling, slavering FSM when you need him??

Stephen King is more hit than miss, all the same, in this case.

Book 5 wasn't all bad, but yeah, the ones afterward did not do the series justice.

HDM, on the other hand, was just okay all around. While I like much of Phillip Pullman's work, that particular series was not the masterwork it was made out to be, IMO. But I still thought The Subtle Knife was a good time-killer. And he spits in the faces of fundies everywhere, which is always a plus. If only he didn't have that annoying habit of taking it too far...
I hope you're on the recieving end of an improbability equation wherein something happens to you that's as unlikely as Rob Schneider winning a best actor Oscar on the same day Michael Jackson single handedly captures Osama Bin Laden. ~ Rainswept

O.K. Everything else is just stuff you do while you are waiting to have sex. Sin. WoE. ~ Warlord of Elephants

Image Image Image

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 pm

I suspected this argument would begin again.

I say: Read it and draw your own conclusions.

Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Charlie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:31 pm

I liked the series, but I didn't think it was his best work. Lyra was a loser and Will was way cooler. I liked his Sally Lockhart books much better because there seems to be more of a thought out plot in them. And fight scenes.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:15 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:I suspected this argument would begin again.

I say: Read it and draw your own conclusions.

Excuse me, but we're talking about LITERATURE here. This is NOT the time to be diplomatic! This is the stuff wars should be waged over!

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”