What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Charlie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:45 am

. . . A little green bag. Sorry, still incredibly overwhelmed by Reservoir Dogs. But I must point out that a nuclear bomb seems more plausible than a giant squid from another dimension, no matter how many colours it has.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:58 am

Charlie wrote:. . . A little green bag. Sorry, still incredibly overwhelmed by Reservoir Dogs.
Psst! You're supposed to write: "Spoilers ahoy!"
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:51 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:Well, today was refreshingly dull and I finished Watchmen. Pretty cool, I wasn't fond of the ending but the story was good. It felt like how Tarantino would do a superhero film with the cutting back-and-forth to different time periods.
The ending was so much cooler in the graphic novel. I disagree with you on the Tarantino bit - there were no scalpings, and nobody bled for the entire film.

No I think Daftbeaker has a point...the bloke who had his arms sawn off must have bled for about a month.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Helene Potier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Capellini wrote:Wow, even when I agree with someone people decide I'm angry. So now I can't share my feelings on a book and agree with another poster, I either have to agree 100% or get into a fight? Never mind, then.

aww, it wasnt a fight, it was a debate. Theres no fun in discussing something with someone who agrees with you completely. After a while you'll just lapse into silence.
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.

Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Helene Potier » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:39 pm

tris wrote: I agree that the book wasnt patronising... I thought it was just a ripping yarn without too many pretensions... he was obviously trying to cater for most readers, but that doesnt necessarily mean condescension... of course he's not everyone's cup of tea, but who is? I just think he went off on too many tangents and tried to get too many ideas in there, and I guess that's what annoyed Cap. :furious:
Anyway I thought the mulefa were great! They might be implausible, but I dont really see how their existence "defies the most basic principles of evolution" as Cap states... :scientist: :scientist: :scientist:
As she also implies there are plenty of implausible creatures on our planet, so why not on another planet?

well i think he did a good job of catering for most readers. i think on the one hand you've go the pure fantasy, going into parallel worlds and flying witches and talking bears. Its this that the child enjoys. but what the adult anjoys is the ideas about "original sin", about cosmology, about what it means to have a soul, and the nature of the multiverse.

the mulefa are a bit off the wall, i agree, but it's like the thing about aliens. if we met any aliens, they'd be absolutely nothing like us. life can evolve in amazingly different ways, and for some reason this universe favoured diamond-shaped frames and heads that look like elephants'.
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Helene Potier wrote:
Capellini wrote:Wow, even when I agree with someone people decide I'm angry. So now I can't share my feelings on a book and agree with another poster, I either have to agree 100% or get into a fight? Never mind, then.

aww, it wasnt a fight, it was a debate. Theres no fun in discussing something with someone who agrees with you completely. After a while you'll just lapse into silence.

Indeed.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:37 am

Not much chance of that around here. :lol:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

ubidubikid #1
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby ubidubikid #1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:57 am

Eaters of the dead by Michael Crichton. It's my summer reading assignment. It's kind of based of the concept that most legends are spawned by real events. This one is supposedly the original Beowulf, told from the point of view of an arrab traveler who ended up with a group of viking warriors. A little diffrent from your average school assigned book considering the level of sex and violence in it. And of course vikings. Which are like ice pirates. Of death.
"It's like a parfait of fail!" -ubidubikid #1

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby TwistedSister » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 am

Dead Simple- Peter James
Just started it.
Four guys bury their friend alive in a coffin, with a walkie-talkie, a bottle of Scotch a flashlight and a girlie magazine. They also have a breathing tube for him.
It's a prank because the guy that's buried is getting married in three days.
Friends head off to another pub planning on coming back in a couple of hours and digging up buried friend.
They all get killed in a drunk driving crash..................
Man, this is intense already.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Trying to wade through "God's Politics", but it just makes me so frickin mad that these people use "because we believe X" as a sound justification for "The law of the land should reflect X". I have to put it down every now and then. Damned apologists!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Capellini
Capolean Bone-apart

Postby Capellini » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 pm

ubidubikid #1 wrote:Eaters of the dead by Michael Crichton. It's my summer reading assignment. It's kind of based of the concept that most legends are spawned by real events. This one is supposedly the original Beowulf, told from the point of view of an arrab traveler who ended up with a group of viking warriors. A little diffrent from your average school assigned book considering the level of sex and violence in it. And of course vikings. Which are like ice pirates. Of death.

It got made into a movie called 'The 13th Warrior' with Antonio Banderas.
True terror lies in the futility of human existence.

Malcolm Reynolds is my co-pilot.

"The only freedom deserving the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental and spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest." - John Stuart Mill

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm getting some light reading material out of the way before I tackle War and Peace. The Faceless Ones by Derek Landy is one of them.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:06 am

ubidubikid #1 wrote:Eaters of the dead by Michael Crichton. It's my summer reading assignment. It's kind of based of the concept that most legends are spawned by real events. This one is supposedly the original Beowulf, told from the point of view of an arrab traveler who ended up with a group of viking warriors. A little diffrent from your average school assigned book considering the level of sex and violence in it. And of course vikings. Which are like ice pirates. Of death.

I saw the film based on the book with Whatsisname Jose Banderas... they called it the 13th warrior. It was pretty crap, considering the potential of the story, and there wasnt much sex in it either, but there was a nice duelling scene between a couple of vikings!
Crichton's books are often made into Crappy films... Timeline and Congo were dreadful (I only saw the last 15 minutes of Congo, but that said ita all!!)
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Picked up The Gunslinger for the 5th time last night. Steven, you had me at "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed".
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:00 pm

Well, I finished reading The Faceless Ones in about four hours.

War and Peace time.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”