What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby TwistedSister » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 am

Under The Dome-Stephen King

I couldn't wait until the weekend so I started reading it yesterday.

Picture this: Suddenly a huge invisible dome is dropped over and entire town. Dome cuts whatever is in it's path in half. Trees, power lines, animals and so forth.
People driving or flying a plane or walking run right into it.
Birds flying hit it and break their necks.

Yep, has my interest.
Must go read more.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:15 am

hmmm . . . perhaps mr. king was inspired by the simpsons movie?
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:19 pm

TwistedSister wrote:Under The Dome-Stephen King
...... Suddenly a huge invisible dome is dropped over and entire town. Dome cuts whatever is in it's path in half. Trees, power lines, animals and so forth. People driving or flying a plane or walking run right into it. Birds flying hit it and break their necks...

Hey, he ripped off John Wyndhams' the Midwich Cuckoos and Marlen Haushofer's "Die Wand", 1963 (English title - The Wall) .... about a woman staying at a friend's house in the mountains. after she discovers an invisible wall running through the property she gradually realizes that a mysterious apocalyptic event has happened and she's maybe the only survivor.... it's wierd and wonderful and feministic in a germanic sort of way!

PS I'm afraid I've never seen the Simpson's movie... I've never even seen an episode of the Simpsons!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm

tris wrote:PS I'm afraid I've never seen the Simpson's movie... I've never even seen an episode of the Simpsons!

But..but..but... how did you ever manage that? The Simpsons has been around longer than my kids!

Try Google to see if there is a site where you can watch an episode or two online. For cultural literacy, if nothing else. Homer Simpson is a fount of much wisdom, such as "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder."

I've been doing recorded books in my car lately. My library has a large collection, otherwise I couldn't afford it. Lots of lectures from "The Learning Company", which are really great. I just finished up a set of lectures on Shakespeare, so I have to go read Measure for Measure now.

(Tris + 4)
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:
tris wrote:PS I'm afraid I've never seen the Simpson's movie... I've never even seen an episode of the Simpsons!

But..but..but... how did you ever manage that? The Simpsons has been around longer than my kids!

Try Google to see if there is a site where you can watch an episode or two online. For cultural literacy, if nothing else. Homer Simpson is a fount of much wisdom, such as "Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder."

I was hoping I could find an excuse to quote the Simpson's episode I saw yesterday!

Shortly after Bart's treehouse collapses:
Homer: Don't worry son, I'll build you a new treehouse. One so grand that it will be an affront to God himself.
Bart: Can it have a rope ladder that you can pull up after you?
Homer: Only if it's an affront to God...
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:15 pm

I've never seen the Simpson's movie either and I hardly think Mr. King would steal someone else's idea for a story.
He has no need to.

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:05 am

I would highly recommend The Simpsons Movie. On the surface it is extremely funny in an obvious and slapstick was, but there is a lot of underlying social commentary there too. Uncomfortable truths are often best exposed through humour, and it manages that very well.

tris wrote:Marlen Haushofer's "Die Wand", 1963 (English title - The Wall)
1963? Two years after the Berlin Wall went up? Art imitating life, methinks.
(My mum graduated from teacher training college in 1961, and to celebrate she and her friends went on holiday to Copenhagen. She awoke on the day she was meant to fly home to find that Europe was suddenly divided by a wall (metaphorically in some places, literally in others), and had to be flown home by the Danish Air Force.)
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:22 am

Originality is pretty rare in literature and I'm always finding what I think is an original story has actually been around for a long time in some form or other.

'The Stand' is about a Flu epidemic killing off the human race...hardly an original idea. I've got a book of old Victorian ghost stories and quite a few of them have been re-written by modern authors with a slightly different plot.

It does sound like Stephen King has pinched his idea from the Simpsons movie though but the idea of a town being sealed off goes back to the Black Death in England when the town of Eyam sealed itself off to try to contain the Plague.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:06 am

Bart's right. I've read several science fiction stories from the 50's and 60's that could be summarized almost exactly like TS summarized SK's.

A particularly good surreal novel about a town/city isolated from the rest of the world is Dhalgren, by Sam Delany, 1975 (I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, many posts ago).
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 am

Edd wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:

I was hoping I could find an excuse to quote the Simpson's episode I saw yesterday!

Shortly after Bart's treehouse collapses:
Homer: Don't worry son, I'll build you a new treehouse. One so grand that it will be an affront to God himself.
Bart: Can it have a rope ladder that you can pull up after you?
Homer: Only if it's an affront to God...
Best episode in my opinion is when Lisa digs up that 'angel'. I've seen it a million times, but only on my last viewing did I really watch and appreciate the humour there. It's one of those big 'faith vs science' episodes, and it's perfectly done, not in a way that would offend anyone yet still risqué enough to be controversial.

But yeah, on topic, I'm reading The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor. Alyss, next in line for the throne of Wonderland leaves because her parents are murdered. Then she returns, many years later.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:08 am

That's started us off on a Homer Simpson quote session in the office! :haha:

I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there Superman Please Help Me!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Image :whistle:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

TwistedSister

Postby TwistedSister » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:22 pm

On page 659 of Under The Dome.

I'd be finished with it by now, but I'm only reading it at work.

It's VERY good. IMO

Mad Maud
Ziti Zealot

Postby Mad Maud » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm

Right now I'm almost finished with David Sedaris's latest book, When You Are Engulfed In Flames. It took me a while to get into his works, and I'm still somewhat on the fence, although I'll always prefer Augusten Burroughs (of Running With Scissors fame). But there have been times when I've had to suppress a laugh on the subway while reading.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Mad Maud wrote:Right now I'm almost finished with David Sedaris's latest book, When You Are Engulfed In Flames.... there have been times when I've had to suppress a laugh on the subway while reading.

Don't suppress your laughs... it's bad for the health! I find that most people are pleasantly amused when they see you cracking up while reading a book!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”