What are you reading right now?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby ChowMein » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:22 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Strange but true, I've just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. I found it much more entertaining than I expected it to be, albeit highly predictable.

Now jumping into a re-reading of Dan Simmons' Hyperion quadrology.

My favorite sf series . I wonder what happened to all those people wired up to the tree of pain ? Also did God ( the human ) come back from his sabatical ?

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:48 am

Ummmmm............

i iss reeding a boook , it hass lotsa big wurds an' cullard pickchurrs innit .

i lyke da pikchurrs besst cos i can reed dem eesey .

ummmm..... , nuffin else . :lurk:
cabin boy fir hyer. jyint hat no hextra charj.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:27 pm

ChowMein wrote:
ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Strange but true, I've just finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird for the first time. I found it much more entertaining than I expected it to be, albeit highly predictable.

Now jumping into a re-reading of Dan Simmons' Hyperion quadrology.

My favorite sf series . I wonder what happened to all those people wired up to the tree of pain ? Also did God ( the human ) come back from his sabatical ?

If you like Big SF, I strongly recommend the Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. Simmons and Hamilton are both fantastic authors, I have yet to read anything by either one that I didn't think was terrific.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

What happens when all the renewable energy runs out?
-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 am

I stiwll reeding a buk .

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Just finished a novella (115K words) by my niece/godchild. Fantasy fiction for young adults. I am blown away by how good it is. Minor editing being undertaken now (yes, she knows I'm doing it), but IMO it is not far from publishable, and would sell well. She has a bunch of published research/opinion type articles in various magazines. She's about 25 or so.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."

Edd
Stripmeister

Postby Edd » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Rereading Perdido Street Station by China Miéville.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Reading multiple consecutively overlapping times a novel written by my niece. I'm editing it on about four levels, so I'm going over each paragraph about half a dozen times. It's surprisingly good. ("Young adult" level story.)
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.
Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Roy Hunter » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:20 pm

Datasheets for KT88 valves. I was gifted a pair, trying to find a power transformer / output transformer combination that I have, or can find, that will push out somewhere between 70W and 100W in a useful fashion.

Unless anyone wants to give me a pair of EL34s? I have the perfect iron for them.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical and cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." Bill Hicks.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." Abraham Lincoln
"Are you OK?" daftbeaker (<-- very good question, people should ask it more often.)

MourningStar
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby MourningStar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:56 am

Going to start on The Walking Dead comics soon... heard WAY more than enough good things about them and I can't wait. Also, they have CURSING.. I would for SURE curse in the Zombie Apocalypse. Porch Dick just doesn't cut it... :lol:
The circumstances of the world are continually changing, and the opinions of men change also; and as government is for the living, and not for the dead, it is the living only that has any right in it. That which may be thought right and found convenient in one age, may be thought wrong and found inconvenient in another. In such cases, who is to decide, the living, or the dead? -Thomas Paine

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:22 am

MourningStar wrote:Going to start on The Walking Dead comics soon... heard WAY more than enough good things about them and I can't wait. Also, they have CURSING.. I would for SURE curse in the Zombie Apocalypse. Porch Dick just doesn't cut it... :lol:

You havn't heard cursing until you hear Negan or is or Neagan ?

I can't see the show doing him justice without the profanity , maybe they could put in a lot of " bleeps " ?

Roving Punster
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Roving Punster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:10 am

I've heard the walking dead comic is excellent ... I'm a fan of the TV series that was based on it, but I've never read the source material.

My favorite comic book series of all time was The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, by a very wide margin. I just finished one of my periodic rereadings just a few weeks ago.

These days I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to (which was around 2-3 novels a week).
ΦΒΚ - Φιλοσοφία Βίου Κυβερνήτης ("Love of learning is the guide of life")

Nef Yoo BlackBeard
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Nef Yoo BlackBeard » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:35 am

Um , i lyke dem Mikky Mauwse commick books .

Mikky hass big wownd bwakk eers an yelloh boots an' sech .

Yoo dow,nt haff ta reed da werds cos da pichchurrs shows ye da storry .

Fankye , ye welkum .

Privvy Counselor

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:05 pm

So my brother wrote this book about the history and social relevance of rock and roll music to war and peace. It pains me to admit it, but he's actually a better writer than I am, at least when it comes to research-based stuff like this. I may have to actually pick up a copy, if only so I can go through it with my infamous red pen.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Victoria Ayling

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:42 am

Roving Punster wrote:I've heard the walking dead comic is excellent ... I'm a fan of the TV series that was based on it, but I've never read the source material.

My favorite comic book series of all time was The Sandman, by Neil Gaiman, by a very wide margin. I just finished one of my periodic rereadings just a few weeks ago.

These days I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to (which was around 2-3 novels a week).

I had the complete mint set of Sandman . I believe some of my nef yoos still have them , bagged and boarded ( or maybe not ) .
Gaiman also wrote some stories for MiracleMan/(MarvelMan) which if I recall correctly was written by the equally talented genius (IMHO) Alan Moore , published in the UK circa early eighties, years before Sandman.
I forgot who inherited those copies , but the title only lasted for a dozen issues or so .
If you love Gaiman's style , you must read this series , Moore wrote the majority of the books with Gaiman contributing near the end .
It was about 7-8 years before the dream king came back to life and i think you will enjoy it , however a couple of the stories are extremely horrific (IMHO) , 30 odd years later I still picture the images in my mind and shiver a wee bit .

You heard correctly about TWD comic , it is amazing , brutal , well written and illustrated . The black and white format suits the comic and compounds the dread . There is a risk of you losing sleep though , I found it hard not to binge read .

PS : I was a comic collector back in the day , nerdy enough to rival The Big Bang Theory boys . :zen:

ItchyPirate
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby ItchyPirate » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Currently I'm alternating between Eragon by Christopher Paolini and The Loose Canon.
The Itchy Pirate :fsm_yarr:

He who laughs, lasts. :lol:

"You can't argue with all the fools in the world. It is better to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not looking."
--Brom, character in Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”