What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Ubi Dubius » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 pm

We are watching Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail as I type. Ubi Dubikid#2 is giggling a lot.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:We are watching Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail as I type. Ubi Dubikid#2 is giggling a lot.

I think I've done enough Python spam recently so I'll just pay homage to Tig's invention:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 am

Watched Bresson's Joan of Arc last night... when it came out I remember being bored by the final scenes of psychological torment in the prison and Dustin Hoffman as a mumbly death figure and turned on by the battle scenes.
This time it was the other way round! I thought the battle scenes were terrrribly implausible... the idea that you could win a battle just by believing in yourself and your destiny seems pretty corny to me. It had caused a long series of disasters for the French, so I don't see why that would change when you are led by a girl. I think the REAL Joan of Arc was just more intelligent than the stupid French aristocrats who for 100 years had kept believing that you could beat the English with full frontal cavalry charges... and were defeated over and over again (notably at Crecy, Poitiers and Agincourt) by the more "intelligent" (albeit "cowardly" or at any rate non-chivalrous) English defensive tactics and crafty manouvering. They ought to debunk the myth of Joan's divine inspiration and just show how clever she was! I think the myth sprang up 'cos even today people refuse to accept that a peasant girl could know more about how to raise a seige and fight a battle than her aristocratic male "superiors"... and Bresson just perpetuated the myth.
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby farfalla » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:16 pm

concur - seems the intelligent Joan D'A story would be more interesting

----------

tried to watch District 9 last night and about 15 minutes into it succumbed to severe vertigo - that hand held camera and the gore I think

(never, ever happened to me before)

got dizzy, clammy, sweats and barely made it to the restroom where I lost contents of stomach :barf:

{made for just a wonderful :roll: date with RG}

.......first 15 minutes intriguing .....
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a friend who had that problem with the Blair Witch Project (first movie) and had to wait for it to hit the home market before he could watch it. He said having somewhere else to look during the really jerky scenes helped enormously.

I got to see it all the way through, and I don't want to spoil it for you, but definitely pick it up or rent it when it hits dvd or watch it on HBO or something. It was very good. My bf said they should do a sequel, and I said "How do you follow that?".That's all I have to say on this particular film.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Cloverfield was the worst for that. Had people vomiting in the aisles and everything!
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:Cloverfield was the worst for that. Had people vomiting in the aisles and everything!

Yeah, I had to shut my eyes for about ten minutes in the middle of that to stop myself from passing out.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 am

We watched Keeping Mum. Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson, Kristen Scott Thomas and Patrick Swayze. It was a fun black comedy, but the big thing I found lacking was how little they took advantage of Atkinson's talents. Here they have an enormously gifted physical comedian, who also has brilliant timing and a causitc wit, and they cast him as a dithering cerebral country vicar. I kept waiting for the big explosion of silliness from him, and all there was was one scene with him as an abysmal soccer goalie, and a speech where he finally tells a few jokes he got off the internet. (Maggie Smith had the terrific and funny role, a sort of evil Mary Poppins, who makes your troubles go away, as long as you don't look too closely into where they went.)

I had the same feeling about the old BBC Shakespeare Plays, where they cast John Cleese as Petruchio in Taming of the Shrew, and the the director made him be quiet and subdued in the part. I don't get it. Why cast a hugely gifted comedian in a comedy if you don't intend to use his talents?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:05 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:We watched Keeping Mum. Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson, Kristen Scott Thomas and Patrick Swayze. It was a fun black comedy, but the big thing I found lacking was how little they took advantage of Atkinson's talents. Here they have an enormously gifted physical comedian, who also has brilliant timing and a causitc wit, and they cast him as a dithering cerebral country vicar. I kept waiting for the big explosion of silliness from him, and all there was was one scene with him as an abysmal soccer goalie, and a speech where he finally tells a few jokes he got off the internet. (Maggie Smith had the terrific and funny role, a sort of evil Mary Poppins, who makes your troubles go away, as long as you don't look too closely into where they went.)

I had the same feeling about the old BBC Shakespeare Plays, where they cast John Cleese as Petruchio in Taming of the Shrew, and the the director made him be quiet and subdued in the part. I don't get it. Why cast a hugely gifted comedian in a comedy if you don't intend to use his talents?

Atkinson tends to get given bit-parts in films, it happened in Rat Race and Love, Actually as well. I think it's because they want the marketing coup of his name on the posters but don't really build the script round him so he gets shoehorned in anywhere he'll fit.
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Grey
Farfalle First Mate

Postby Grey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:18 am

District 9, which was aaaaaaamazing! I <3 Christopher Johnson, the characterization was fantastic, and the ending was great. Also, the CGI was really well done and I like the plot. Could have been a bit shorter, but that's barely a flaw. I can't wait for it to come out on dvd! :bounce:

Valanthe wrote:[snip] My bf said they should do a sequel...

NO. They absolutely should not do a sequel. Unless it's done very, very carefully it'll ruin the franchise. It would have to be as well thought out as the original and I'm not sure where they can take it.

That said, there's probably going to be a sequel (they left it pretty open) and I'm going to watch it anyway.
The revolution has abandoned you. You're on your own now.

The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt not get caught.

fueledbycoffee wrote:America has a long and hallowed tradition of irrational tax evasion and belligerence. We are the national equivalent of the Nac Mac Feegle. And we're the leaders of the free world. Damn, now I've scared myself shitless.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Watched the movie version of Midnight in the garden of good and evil last night. Read the book and then never watch the film.

:furious:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:Watched the movie version of Midnight in the garden of good and evil last night. Read the book and then never watch the film.

Did that. Thanks.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

watched the good,the bad and the ugly last night
it's been over 15 years since i've seen that movie - i still love it

Scott the Pirate wrote:Watched the movie version of Midnight in the garden of good and evil last night. Read the book and then never watch the film.

i remember watching that movie and :sleep:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Absolute snore fest with characters less fleshed-out than the ones i had to imagine while reading the book. Chablis looked like a man for FSM's sake! She was supposed to be a total hottie (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) that you'd never expect to be a man min a million years!!!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:31 pm

bacon wrote:

i remember watching that movie and :sleep:

I bought the DVD (judging by the cover it looked good), but I never managed to watch it all the was through... Midnight in the garden of narcolepsy more like!
The good,the bad and the ugly must have the best soundtrack ever... Morricone produced a masterpiece! (Sergio Leone didnt do too bad either... I think they filmed it in Spain, should have called it a paella western!)
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”