What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Valanthe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Sin City was one hell of a film. I've been meaning to pick up a copy on dvd for some time now, but for some reason it slips my mind whenever I'm actually out shopping. I heard that Mickey Rourke had some questions about Marv, and Miller answered them by going out and getting a t-shirt with Marv on it, and that explained Marv to Rourke pretty thoroughly.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:22 am

Howls Moving Castle...brilliant...a Studio Gibli film from the work of Welsh authoress Diane Wynne Jones.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm

black bart wrote:Howls Moving Castle...brilliant...a Studio Gibli film from the work of Welsh authoress Diane Wynne Jones.

Yes, we loved that one.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote::paranoid: I hope you don't own a wood chipper. :shocked:

:guilty:

watched manchurian candidate the other day
i find it scary to think that the cup o' noodles corporation has designs to take over the world :shocked:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:58 pm

Watched Madagascar for the first time. First off, they should've just given the penguins their own movie. They were so much more entertaining than the main 4 characters. I thought the first half of the film was set up rather well, but the second half felt rushed and oversimplified.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Watched: Heavy Metal

Watching: Heavy Metal 2000
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant. Except in cases of accidental microaggressions, in which case please explain it, so that we may better understand.

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Regarding Heavy Metal:

The first one is excellent. Well done, and the soundtrack rocks. I just wish I could find the orchestral soundtrack.

2000 was ok, but not nearly as good as the first one. Then again, I'm biased.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:43 pm

PKMKII wrote:Watched Madagascar for the first time. First off, they should've just given the penguins their own movie. They were so much more entertaining than the main 4 characters. I thought the first half of the film was set up rather well, but the second half felt rushed and oversimplified.

It doesn't work as well. They tried it with a christmas special and it felt stretched out and not as funny. The main characters were pants but Sacha Baron-Cohen stole the show as King Julien. Ben Stiller seems to be a general guarantee that a film will be worth watching but he's usually mediocre, he just seems to have a knack of spotting the good projects.

Madagascar 2 is more of the same, amusing penguins and lemurs, bland overall story, dull lion/zebra/giraffe/hippo. Worth watching if you enjoyed the penguins for the jeep-stealing 'Operation Tourist Trap' alone :haha: (Incidentally where I stole my first penguin avatar from.)
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:01 pm

bacon wrote:watched fargo the other night - seen that movie so many times now yet it is still enjoyable

Yeah... the Coen Bros never quite attained the heights of that great movie.... altho I'll admit that the woodchipper scene turned my stomach when I first saw it!
No Country for Old Men was too forced-strained-stilted (blatantly symbolic).
Brother Where are Thou was a bit forced too, with its prententious references to the Odysseus myth and unnecessarily wilful wierdness.
The Big Lebovski occasionally bordered on the tedious cum ridiculous.
But... They've kinda hit it off with "A serious Man"..... I saw it twice at the cinema and it was worth it!
Such great grotesque Jewish faces in every shot and somehow they manage to bring out the relentless existential turmoil in the midst of mundane everyday life with brilliant verve and delicacy..... it's a gem of a movie.... but it's not Fargo, I admit!
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 am

daftbeaker wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Watched Madagascar for the first time. First off, they should've just given the penguins their own movie. They were so much more entertaining than the main 4 characters. I thought the first half of the film was set up rather well, but the second half felt rushed and oversimplified.

It doesn't work as well. They tried it with a christmas special and it felt stretched out and not as funny. The main characters were pants but Sacha Baron-Cohen stole the show as King Julien. Ben Stiller seems to be a general guarantee that a film will be worth watching but he's usually mediocre, he just seems to have a knack of spotting the good projects.

Madagascar 2 is more of the same, amusing penguins and lemurs, bland overall story, dull lion/zebra/giraffe/hippo. Worth watching if you enjoyed the penguins for the jeep-stealing 'Operation Tourist Trap' alone :haha: (Incidentally where I stole my first penguin avatar from.)

Totally agree with that assessment, King Julien was hilarious and so were the penguins...it was brilliant when they arrived at the pole and thought 'bugger this it's too cold.'
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Postby bacon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:58 am

tris wrote:Yeah... the Coen Bros never quite attained the heights of that great movie.... altho I'll admit that the woodchipper scene turned my stomach when I first saw it!
No Country for Old Men was too forced-strained-stilted (blatantly symbolic).
Brother Where are Thou was a bit forced too, with its prententious references to the Odysseus myth and unnecessarily wilful wierdness.
The Big Lebovski occasionally bordered on the tedious cum ridiculous.
But... They've kinda hit it off with "A serious Man"..... I saw it twice at the cinema and it was worth it!
Such great grotesque Jewish faces in every shot and somehow they manage to bring out the relentless existential turmoil in the midst of mundane everyday life with brilliant verve and delicacy..... it's a gem of a movie.... but it's not Fargo, I admit!

I definitely agree with you about No Country for Old Men. I'm sure the novel is excellent, but the movie itself wasn't an all over enjoyable watch, although it did have some good parts.
The Big Lebowski, I think, is very humorous, and I enjoyed the underlying social commentary regarding class versus class and how there are different levels within different social classes (actually wrote a paper on that - was told it should be published).
I didn't see A Serious Man, but if you recommend it, I will give it a watch.

Did you see A Simple Plan? I thought it was a decent translation of the novel, although, as I normally do, I would recommend the book over the film. I'm not sure which movie came out first, but I wouldn't be surprised if A Simple Plan was part of the inspiration for Fargo.

While watching Fargo, it was interesting to see how there are different types of sociopaths all with similar motives but different methods. Interesting how when you watch it over you realize that the trouble from the start all comes from the allure of money and greed consistently makes matters much worse every time - for example - Steve Buscemi's character in the end was so greedy that he didn't give up the tan sienna - which the cops were looking for anyway - because it would have cost him a couple of thousand dollars? He had $40,000 in his hand and another $920,000 waiting for him! If he just told his accomplish, sure, here you go, and threw him an extra $10k for his troubles, he could have driven away with a car that wasn't being looked for and collected his cash. Instead he winds up in a wood chipper.
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 am

The Cohen Brothers' films often explore similar themes: Incompetent Black mailers, kidnappers etc...I've just started watching 'Burn After Reading'. I'm a big fan of their films.

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Ubi Dubium and I really liked "Burn After Reading" for a fun movie. It helped that it took place in our Metropolitan area and they did some filming here. Another movie about incompetent criminals.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Ubi Dubium and I really liked "Burn After Reading" for a fun movie. It helped that it took place in our Metropolitan area and they did some filming here. Another movie about incompetent criminals.

The townhouse scenes were shot here in Brooklyn :zen:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

It was great! My only thought at the end was "what's Clooney's soon to be ex going to think when she comes home and finds a pile of wreckage in the basement with a big 'ol XXXXX on top?"

Btw, i got the new Dawn of the Dead for $2.99 at a day-after thanksgiving sale.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”