What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby PKMKII » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:31 pm

farfalla wrote:was at someone else's place and they had Babe: Pig in the City on- chuckley

(how do they get those animals to talk?...)

Waterboarding.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby farfalla » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

:lol: --- high PKMKll -

food thread --could use one, or dare I ask two, easy (no beef or pork) pasta dishes to serve authentic italians

gulp -- or rice dish -- garlic would be a plus

I am :worship: and would owe you big time

(if you ignore this request people will start to talk..... )
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind

farfalla
Feline Fatale

Postby farfalla » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

:lol: --- high PKMKll -

food thread --could use one or dare I ask two, easy (no beef or pork) pasta dish to serve authentic italians

gulp -- or rice dish -- garlic would be a plus

I am :worship: and would owe you big time

(if you ignore this request people will start to talk..... about ..)
~~~~~~/\~~~~~~

The heart has its reason, of which reason knows nothing. -Pascal - thanks, Z

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."
Cpt Jack Sparrow

"I'm used to going out at 3 in the morning and doing something stupid."
Alan Moore

Silk 'n mind

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Well, the last thing you should serve authentic Italians is anything trying to be Italian food. After all, they eat Italian food all the time. Italian food will probably not impress them. I'd either try to do something as typically American as possible, or do something from another culture, if you are a skilled enough cook.

Hmm. non-Italian pasta dishes...

Mac & Cheese - American staple
Lo Mein (you can put just about anything in this if you julienne it.)
Mandu (Korean dumplings, you can buy them at oriental markets, frozen, and you just pan fry them.)

And why no beef or pork? Swedish meatballs on noodles would be yummy, easy (you can buy frozen meatballs, and cook them in gravy), and not trying to pretend to be genuine italian.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:23 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:Well, the last thing you should serve authentic Italians is anything trying to be Italian food. After all, they eat Italian food all the time. Italian food will probably not impress them.

Very true... if you (as a non-"Aytay") cook anything purporting to be italian they will certainly claim to find it dIsgusting on principle (even if it's actually delicious and in many ways better or more interesting than the way they do it).
I have never encountered any culture with such rigid (one might even say fascistic) ideas about food and how it should be cooked and served. They're incredibly conservative on that score (as well as numerous other scores!). But let's face it... they may do it inflexibly, but they do it damn well!
To be honest I MYSELF have become a bit like them after nearly 20 years in the country... when I went back to the folks in England at Christmas it kind of freaked me out to see them putting salad or meat in the same plate with their spaghetti... mixing "primi" and "secondi"??!! that's blasphemy... no worse, self inflicted psycho-physical mutilation! I just couldnt bring myself to partake in such a barbaric activity and ended up provoking a nasty diplomatic incident by refusing to eat "mom's home cooking"... at least in the way it was presented to me! (altho I confess I am the sinner who like to put bits of salami in with his pasta al pesto!! :shocked: :shocked: THE HORROR! I've only managed to get away with it by doing it in private... otherwise there'd be an instant angry lynch mob eager to defend the dignity of their culinary traditions by stringing up the barbarian food-hooligans!)
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby daftbeaker » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 am

Curry? :antipasta:
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:46 pm

tris wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote:Well, the last thing you should serve authentic Italians is anything trying to be Italian food. After all, they eat Italian food all the time. Italian food will probably not impress them.

Very true... if you (as a non-"Aytay") cook anything purporting to be italian they will certainly claim to find it dIsgusting on principle (even if it's actually delicious and in many ways better or more interesting than the way they do it).
I have never encountered any culture with such rigid (one might even say fascistic) ideas about food and how it should be cooked and served. They're incredibly conservative on that score (as well as numerous other scores!). But let's face it... they may do it inflexibly, but they do it damn well!
To be honest I MYSELF have become a bit like them after nearly 20 years in the country... when I went back to the folks in England at Christmas it kind of freaked me out to see them putting salad or meat in the same plate with their spaghetti... mixing "primi" and "secondi"??!! that's blasphemy... no worse, self inflicted psycho-physical mutilation! I just couldnt bring myself to partake in such a barbaric activity and ended up provoking a nasty diplomatic incident by refusing to eat "mom's home cooking"... at least in the way it was presented to me! (altho I confess I am the sinner who like to put bits of salami in with his pasta al pesto!! :shocked: :shocked: THE HORROR! I've only managed to get away with it by doing it in private... otherwise there'd be an instant angry lynch mob eager to defend the dignity of their culinary traditions by stringing up the barbarian food-hooligans!)

Well as I always say, every Italian will tell you that the best Italian food in the world comes from the same place: Their grandma's kitchen.

If you really, really wants to make an Italian freak out, serve cheese and seafood together.

Although I think the French are worse on the food conservatism. The Italians may have their food blasphemies, but at least most of them make some culinary sense. The French have seemed to have migrated firmly into doing things just because that's the way it's done, damnit!
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 pm

PKMKII wrote: If you really, really wants to make an Italian freak out, serve cheese and seafood together.

Don't even think about it... they'll have the Mafia on you!
PKMKII wrote: Although I think the French are worse on the food conservatism. The Italians may have their food blasphemies, but at least most of them make some culinary sense. The French have seemed to have migrated firmly into doing things just because that's the way it's done, damnit!
I think the Itays do that too... the French are worse on the linguistic conservatism front... anything non-French is to be eliminated from the lingo... there was also a hilarious diatribe in France recently about double hypenation on birth certificates... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 61421.html
"It's official, the double-hyphenated, double-barrelled surname that has been imposed on 175,000 French children since 2005 is ungrammatical, un-French, and must be abolished. Five years ago, the French state decided that all new double-barrelled surnames must be spelt with two hyphens: Dupont--Dupond rather than Dupont-Dupond, for example. That decision, implemented by bureaucratic decree, generated a series of arcane legal battles in which parents – mostly lawyers – objected to their offspring being double-dashed......."

looks like the government has nothing better to do than mess around with the punctuation of the language!

To bring us back to the theme of the thread (and to tie into the food theme) I saw "Soul Kitchen" the other day... see it! it's great!
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 pm

Back on topic, and entirely off the food theme, we watched Little Miss Sunshine. Really fun. I'm also glad the writers didn't bow to the normal Hollywood conventions and try and have all the problems just work themselves out at the end.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

Pythonist
Stele Second Mate

Postby Pythonist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:29 pm

Little Miss Sunshine is a fantastic film and doesn't shy away from negative things. It's all full of people's problems, almost none of which get solved at the end. People just learn to deal with them.

I loved the uncle (can't remember his name right now) and Dwayne was hilarious.

The worst film i have ever seen is called Wild Country and is a Scottish horror film.
It's horrific, not scary and poorly edited. The only reason i watched it was because someone i knew got their head ripped of in it.
Weird? Of course i'm weird! Life would be much less interesting otherwise. Eccentricity is the way to go.

"We should disguise leopards as foxes to f**k up the gentry" - The People's Manifesto

"Look how fucking awesome my ears are!" -
My friend's suggestion on how to open with a girl after saying i'd play it by ear

"There's no past, there's no future, just one pulsating present...

please leave your message after the tone" - Bill Bailey

Neeeshke boik karoonski bork bork bork bork bork!- The Swedish Chef

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Pythonist wrote: The only reason i watched it was because someone i knew got their head ripped of in it.

Someone you didn't like I hope?
PS Stop posting and go and play the cello!

Pythonist
Stele Second Mate

Postby Pythonist » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:40 pm

Leave me alone tris!
I'm about to go to bed!

I actually do like him, what with him being a blood relative and all...
Weird? Of course i'm weird! Life would be much less interesting otherwise. Eccentricity is the way to go.

"We should disguise leopards as foxes to f**k up the gentry" - The People's Manifesto

"Look how fucking awesome my ears are!" -
My friend's suggestion on how to open with a girl after saying i'd play it by ear

"There's no past, there's no future, just one pulsating present...

please leave your message after the tone" - Bill Bailey

Neeeshke boik karoonski bork bork bork bork bork!- The Swedish Chef

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

In movie news, the 30th annual Razzie Award nominations have been announced. Leading the pack are Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Land of the Lost, both with 7 nominations each. They also have nods for worst film, actor, and actress of the decade up, with such stinkers as Battlefield Earth, Gigli, Paris Hilton, Mariah Carey, and Rob Schneider nominated.

tris
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby tris » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Pythonist wrote: I actually do like him, what with him being a blood relative and all...
That's all a bit bloody relative!
PS I hope you slept well... at least my nagging send you off to bed!

Valanthe
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Valanthe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey, I liked Revenge of the Fallen. Land of the Lost I refused to watch on general principle (I can't stand Will Ferrell, though I do give him props for funnyordie.com). Then again, I have a taste for cheesy films. MST3K, anyone?
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”