What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby Horza » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 am

Tom Ligon is your uncle? That's ace :D

I'm not buying that My Little Chickadee has ever been good.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:59 am

Never underestimate the shallow cheesiness of the world war generations. These are the people who eventually bid up the price of crude paintings of soup cans to the $100,000 range.

I've been watching reruns of GR's Andromeda on DVD. While not "really" movies, they are really good on several levels, and a world of self-mocking fun to boot. Just campy enough to make you feel like you're one of the gang.
In case you didn't realize it, I DO have a sense of humor. How about you?
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart
"I'm not in the ship. I am the ship." -- River Tam
"The truth is simple. It's the lies that get complicated." -- me
"No matter where you go, there you are." --Buckaroo Banzai

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 am

A Serious Man. Ah, delicious Jewish angst, existentialism, and kvetching. I liked that it worked on multiple levels: a commentary/observation on Judaism as a religion; commentary/observation on the Jewish culture condition and psyche; and a comment on the human desire to figure out the "whys" of the world.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Due Date. It was pretty good. Liked it better than The Hangover, but that one was SO over-hyped....

And of course The Invention of Lying.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:20 pm

What did you think of The Invention of Lying? I was pretty turned off by it by the end.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 pm

At first it was hilarious, but the humor got old, i agree. I did love his 10 commandments on the pizza boxes, and the guy getting pulled over for a DUI was a riot!!!

In general, i felt like it was a series of funny moments, but it really didn't come together well.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah, that's about what I thought. The concept isn't even that coherent, because it claims to be a world where no one lies, but in reality, it's a world in which people just say whatever is on their mind with no filter. And while the jibes at religion are at first funny, near the end it just felt a bit heavy handed. And the whole thing where like... success is equated with getting the good looking girl? He ends up with her and it's happy ending, but I don't know why, because her only redeeming quality, that I remember, is her appearance.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I agree. She really was kind of a shallow bitch. And yeah, there was no self-monitoring ability to be had with ANYONE in the film. It made it hard to believe (pun intended).

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

V for Vendetta was on the magiks box last night. Love that film.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I watched Batman/Superman:Apocalypse, and Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam. After watching them both I'm left wondering why they don't concentrate on more like the excellent Batman: Under the Red Hood
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 am

Wait, were those first two good, or not so good? They're all in the wave of animated movies DCs made in the past few years, right? I've been meaning to rent those and watch them. Mostly because they still have Kevin Conroy as Batman, but hey, I'm sure there's more to them than that. :P

My friends and I went to see Rango on Saturday. It was pretty good. Either there were a lot more almost adult jokes (nothing vulgar, but you had to have a better vocabulary to get them) than most kids movies, or I haven't been watching enough kids movies. Depp and the rest of the voice actors are great, and it's a very enjoyable movie, though it does have a few plot holes and problems, but hey, what kids movie doesn't? It's not as bad as Aladdin, so I'm not too worried...

Rainswept
Caliph of Capitalist Fishing Pole Hobo Apologists

Postby Rainswept » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 am

Black adam turned out to be a bunch of short stories and was ok, apocalypse was inconsistent and a bit silly. Under the Red Hood was very good.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_ ... _red_hood/
I believe it's time for mankind to set aside the crutch of religion and embrace morality born of reason and truth. Those crutches have long since proven treacherous when the ground gets slippery.

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:23 am

I'm currently on break from plugging through hours and hours of 1st and 2nd hand presentations, reviews, analyses and interviews of various kinds of UFO-related stuff, especially as applied to material science and electromagnetism. It's a LOT of really marginal and speculative material, with an occasional look at something "more meaningful" like the development and attenuation of neural micro-fibers by magnetism in the presence of amorphous iron. Yah, that's the good stuff. (Takes another drink and sings a chorus of "How Dry I Am") Don't even ask me about contrails. Really. You DON''T want to know.

Mr. Phelps, if I decide retroactively NOT to take the assignment, will all the evidence still self-destruct in 15 seconds? Please say yes!

After very careful analysis of all information I've seen over my lifetime so far, I find that there is cause for someone who needs to pay attention to UFO-related matters, for several separate reasons. Just pray to whatever god you believe in (or can borrow for the purpose) that it never has to be YOU.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer... I will face my fear. I will let it pass over and through me, and when it has gone, only I will remain." --The Bene Gesserit
"Time is a spiral. Space is a curve. I know you get dizzy, but try not to lose your nerve." -- Neil Peart

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:31 pm

^What movie is that Arkaeon? So I can avoid it. :scientist:

Speaking of mad scientists and tech gone bad... dug up some oldie but goodies last week... Dr Strangelove [etc etc] and Bladerunner.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

Arkaeon
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby Arkaeon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 am

Still slugging through my pile of raw video footage on mostly-useless UFO/alien stuff. It's not a movie, it's a collection of a variety of old video records, so it's nothing you'll run across. A lot of it is from Australia, which seems to have aliens on the brain like USA has angels. I won't even get to the point where I can start related internet searches for followup leads for a couple days, and I promise not to link anything unless it has some actual interest in a scientifically meaningful way. There is this thing about "non-petroleum oil-bearing magnetic amorphous iron complexes" (which may be oxymoronic to start with) that looks cool, or at least new to me. I don't know if I'll actually be able to track the subsequent results, since primary testing on the original samples seems to have been done by some of the same guys who develop ion-beam warfare arrays for USA government (can you say "black bag"?) in their spare time at work. 99% boring is what base inquiry is all about, and geeks are geeks.

Dear NSA: I have no idea what I'm talking about. This post was written by my domestic feline after he ate an obscene amount of catnip. Dear Homeland Security: you have no idea what I'm talking about, so bugger off. Welcome to my pink elephant. So, is a pathological lack of fear an advantage or a liability?

Stranglove and Bladerunner are justifiable classics, and beautifully ironic.

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”