What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Book discussions, Author discussions, general book talk, also films.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Re: What's The Last Movie You Saw?

Postby daftbeaker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 am

I've just finished watching all five Bottom stage shows :haha: Who would think that two middle aged blokes shouting crude innuendo about farts and wanking could be so funny?
Too old to give up but too young to rest - Pete Townshend

I would rather be a rising ape than a falling angel - Sir Terry Pratchett

Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Postby Qwertyuiopasd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:25 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:Reservoir Dogs. I'm still turning over this one in my mind, trying to figure out if under all the profuse swearing and violence if there was a worthwhile film. Maybe there was, or maybe there was trying to be, but it got lost in there somewhere.

Well, it is a Tarrantino film, so gratuitous violence and the script are going to be main focuses. I haven't seen it in a while, but it's definitely interesting in that it looks at different people under stress, and things like loyalty among thieves and undercover cops (the last scene between those characters is really intense, imo).

But if you think the violence and swearing detracts from the film, Tarrantino films might not be for you. :moon: Unless you have enjoyed other Tarrantino films, I'm not sure what would make this one different from those in your opinion.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.

Ubi Dubium
Stripmeister

Postby Ubi Dubium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:00 pm

I've watched Pulp Fiction, which had much more plot and characterization, and was far better, and also Kill Bill, where gratuitous violence is the point. That one I just enjoy as if it were an over-the-top comic book, and I don't even worry about the plot.

But for this one, the violence didn't seem to be the point, nor did the swearing, but apart from those, I'm still trying to figure out if there is enough movie there to be worth the rest. Tarantino has definitely developed some talent over time, but I'd like to see him take on the challenge of making a movie with no swearing and little to no violence. I'd be curious to see what he would come out with.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Metropolis, the restored edition. All I have to say is, damn, Fritz Rasp was one creepy looking mutha :furious: er!

"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:20 am

^ :shocked:
mutha :furious: ing, goddam scary mutha :furious: er!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

PKMKII wrote:Metropolis...

I guess you've seen the Anime version?
Send lawyers, guns and money...

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Ravi Oli wrote:
PKMKII wrote:Metropolis...

I guess you've seen the Anime version?

Ayup.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain
Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 am

I saw Space Cowboys on tv, which was decent. It wasn't anything too special, but it was alright for a couple hours worth of distraction.

I watched She's Out Of My League online last night. that one was also decent, but it also had an incredibly gorgeous girl in it. More importantly, it was a story about a couple that looks like this. I know it's fiction and all, but if even a shred of that story is based on the truth, then it gives me great hope.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.

Horza
Ziti Zealot

Postby Horza » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:41 am

I watched Cashback http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409799/

Not much to say, amusing if a little bleak. Lots and lots of nudity.

I am enjoying LoveFilm at the moment even though the bloody postman has lost a BlueRay on it's way to me. There are a huge amount of films available for streaming until it turns up.

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:03 pm

I saw that one a while back. It was interesting, but beyond that I'm not sure how I felt about it. Now I think I'll watch the Neverending Story. I got it on Bluray for $10! Woohoo! I mentioned how awesome it is to a coworker, and he gave me a blank stare and asked what it was. :shocked: :cry: I know he was born in '93, but that's no excuse. My little brother was born in '93, and he knows and loves Falcor. I was born in '86, and I know and love Star Wars, and I've definitely seen Casablanca. Clearly age isn't the issue here. Apparently, he's been living as a hermit.
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 am

My parents always watched Dragnet on TV, so I was quite amused by the film version. Akroyd & Hanks' version is on the local cable station's current movie rotation so I watched it again this morning. It may well be a horrible movie, but it still made me laugh, again.

Your attention, please.
The story you are about to see is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Postby FaithfulPirate42 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:29 pm

I never really saw any of the show, but I do love the movie. I especially love the scene with the chili dog. That gets me every time.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm

The City of Lost Children.

Fascinating visuals. Loved the musical staircase.

Julius Aurora
Agnolini Admiral

Postby Julius Aurora » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Thor

The visuals were spectacular, despite my having to see it in 3D. Which was annoying as I didn't have my contacts in. Anthony Hopkins is always good to see, and the film had its good cheesy moments.
1. The cosmos is a gigantic flywheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him a ride.
- Henry Mencken

Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!

Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Ubi Dubius » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 pm

The King's Speech.

I tried, I really did, but I could not get myself to care about any of these characters, especially Bertie/George VI (sorry if that's a spoiler). OK, maybe I cheered for Lionel a little, but that's it. Why do so many Americans care about the British Royals? What a bunch of whiners.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal

Return to “Books and Authors, Films and Directors”