Word of the Day

This board is NOT restricted access. Keep that in mind when you post.

Moderator: Other Stuff Mods

PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Re: Word of the Day

Postby PKMKII » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:21 am

historiography
-noun
1. the body of literature dealing with historical matters; histories collectively.
2. the body of techniques, theories, and principles of historical research and presentation; methods of historical scholarship.
3. the narrative presentation of history based on a critical examination, evaluation, and selection of material from primary and secondary sources and subject to scholarly criteria.
4. an official history: medieval historiographies.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am

oleaginous
-adjective
1. having the nature or qualities of oil.
2. containing oil.
3. producing oil.
4. unctuous; fawning; smarmy.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:15 pm

luxate
-verb
to put out of joint; dislocate: The accident luxated the left shoulder.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:37 am

eudemonia
-noun
1. happiness; well-being.
2. Aristotelianism. happiness as the result of an active life governed by reason.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 pm

pseudoeudemonia
-noun
A false sense of happiness or well-being usually at its height just before someone sinks the boot in... :haha:
Send lawyers, guns and money...

pieces o'nine
Look Upon Her Works, Ye Migyt, and Despair!

Postby pieces o'nine » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:13 pm

pseudodemonia
-noun
1. A false sense of being possessed by demons.
2. State of being possessed, by entities falsely claiming to be demons.
I will honor Monkey in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.
~Charles "Darwin" Dickens

ken worley
King of the Pervs

Postby ken worley » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Peudoeudamania (soo-doh-yoo-da-man-ee-ah) n.-False sense of
confidence orpotency resulting from:
A. Too much alcohol
B. Too much adolescent music
C. Having ass kissed by people who want something,
while they ply you with alcohol and music

pseudovoodoostainia- (soo-doh-voo-doo-stayn-ee-ah) n.
The false assertion that the skidmarked briefs in the hamper
came from someone or somewhere else.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:04 pm

fugacious
-adjective
1. fleeting; transitory: a sensational story with but a fugacious claim on the public's attention.
2. Botany. falling or fading early.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:42 am

PKMKII wrote:fugacious
-adjective
1. fleeting; transitory: a sensational story with but a fugacious claim on the public's attention.
2. Botany. falling or fading early.

3. the opposite of bodacious [dude].

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:35 pm

gerontocracy
-noun
1. government by a council of elders.
2. a governing body consisting of old people.
3. a state or government in which old people rule.

Ravi Oli
Sorcerer of Sauce

Postby Ravi Oli » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Geronimocracy [n]

a possible form of government if the Native Americans had won.

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:33 pm

pyknic
-adjective
1. (of a physical type) having a fat, rounded build or body structure.
-noun
2. a person of the pyknic type.

Wolfenstein
Stele Second Mate

Postby Wolfenstein » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm

cryptozoology
noun

From zoology, meaning the study of animals. And crypto, meaning shit we made up.
Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

ChowMein
Brewmeister

Postby ChowMein » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Pyknic basket : lunch box for pyknics .

PKMKII

Postby PKMKII » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

ingravescent
-adjective
(esp. of a disease) becoming more severe

Return to “Games, Fun, and Jokes”